Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-24-2014, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: E36, E53
No radio lights! Otherwise, works fine

So I've had my E36 for nearly 9 years now and the radio display, or button lights have never worked. Sound and function of buttons have always been fine, but now I'm finally deciding to fix it if at all possible without having to buy a new stereo.

I've checked the fuses and they are still good. However I have NOT yet removed the stereo since it requires a special tool that I don't have. Is this typical for older models with original stereos? Could I be lucky enough to simply have to remove some wires and/or wiggle them around?

Thanks for any advice!

Tmh
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Strength in Knowledge

Mein Auto: 99 328i Convertible
Your radio, as all of them, has a small bulb(s) on the inside somewhere behind the display. Remove the radio and carefully take it apart. Sometimes the bulb socket is soldered in, I have fixed quite a few of them on several MBs I owned. You can get replacement bulbs at RadioShack. It sounds more complicated then it is.

"Quiet Professional"
Old 04-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
If ALL of his radio lights are out, I doubt it's the bulbs. When I bought my E36, the display backlighting was out, and I fixed it by taking the radio apart and reflowing a cracked resistor connection with a soldering iron. Very easy job. But like I said, that was only for the display backlight - my buttons were illuminated. I don't know exactly what would cause all the lights to be out, but my guess is that it's a bad connection somewhere, and probably not bulb related.

Also, you don't need a special tool to remove the stereo, unless you consider a hex key to be a special tool.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 04-24-2014, 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=ZeGerman;8298872]If ALL of his radio lights are out, I doubt it's the bulbs. When I bought my E36, the display backlighting was out, and I fixed it by taking the radio apart and reflowing a cracked resistor connection with a soldering iron. Very easy job. But like I said, that was only for the display backlight - my buttons were illuminated. I don't know exactly what would cause all the lights to be out, but my guess is that it's a bad connection somewhere, and probably not bulb related.

Also, you don't need a special tool to remove the stereo, unless you consider a hex key to be a special tool.[/Q

Could be both display backlight and bulbs? When your backlight was out could you still faintly see the numbers, especially if light was shining on it? Basically they just don't glow.
As for the buttons, twice they have flickered on for a brief moment, then shut off again for another 3 years.

As for the hex key, it sounds like a not so special tool that I should probably invest in
Old 04-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Warm Leatherette

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuercusE36 View Post
Could be both display backlight and bulbs? When your backlight was out could you still faintly see the numbers, especially if light was shining on it? Basically they just don't glow. As for the buttons, twice they have flickered on for a brief moment, then shut off again for another 3 years.

As for the hex key, it sounds like a not so special tool that I should probably invest in
It could be both the display backlight and the bulbs, although it strikes me as unlikely that they all failed independently of one another rather than being out as the result of a single cause. But crazier things have happened...

Yes, when my display backlight was out, you could still faintly see the numbers (especially if it was in the sun or when using a flashlight).

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 PM

I'm definitely going to look into both. I appreciate you guys' help.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Warm Leatherette

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuercusE36 View Post
I'm definitely going to look into both. I appreciate you guys' help.
No problem. You should be able to find a diy tutorial online by searching, but I'll post the one I used when I get home later tonight.

EDIT: This is not the DIY I used, but it covers the process adequately. One thing which really needs to be stressed is that you MUST use the smallest tip on your soldering iron that you can possibly find. The resistors are tiny, and having a standard tip on your soldering iron will make life very frustrating.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/101-p...o-display.html

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 04-24-2014 at 09:32 PM.