Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Kid in Queen City

Mein Auto: 1993 325is Coupe
Yes it rubs during both full lock turns. On the other side, you can see the wear but it's not bad and down to the metal like the one in the picture. And I had the car aligned when I first got it. Dude said the alignment was pretty off, and he couldn't get one of the wheels perfect so he got it "as close as possible." He must have been referring to the front passenger side where the wheel rubs really bad.

Adam ///My E36 Adventure /// Xbox Live gamertag - aerodigy
Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Kid in Queen City

Hi guys!!
Time for another update!!

More cosmetics again. Just got this in today!

The quality is excellent btw, ordered it from bimmerworld. the quality of the rubber/plastic, texture, and cutouts is tenfold that of the moulding that came on my aftermarket bumper.

this is one of 3 things I ordered and is en route. the other two are new replacement hood shocks, and shadowline.

the new center moulding and hood shocks will be dropped off at the shop as soon as my shocks arrive. both will be paint matched laguna green. I think the green hood shocks will be a nice accent to the engine bay.

There are a few other things I plan on doing as well. Painting/restoring the black backside of the kidney grills as it is now old and faded. Restoring the radiator cover, cowl cover, and other black plastic parts under the hood, as well as a general spot cleaning of the engine bay. a more extensive cleaning will come later. I'm also going to paint/plasti-dip the wiper arms as they are also old and ugly.

and then the shadowline as the icing on the cake for this facelift project.

SO yeah the next few weeks are going to be fun!! I have plans immediately following those as well, but that's for next update.

In the next few days and weeks I will be unloading pictures and updates as this facelift progresses so stay tuned for stuff!

and the train keeps chuggin! (slowly but surely)

Last edited by Mr. Crimson; 04-25-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Kid in Queen City

Hey guys!! This weekend was fun! Gorgeous and sunny and I had the whole thing off. Got a lot done, as all day saturday was spent at my buddy's place. We and a few other guys had a mutual "car day"

shadowline trim (not finished yet)
sanded and painted wipers
painted cowl cover
painted radiator cover
painted kidney grills
fixed front bumper mesh
installed painted hood shocks
replaced front center trim piece with new painted BMW piece

Now, I'm going to unload pictures upon you guys. There's quite a few so enjoy the show! At the end I will comment on the products and methods i used. I'm uploading them as seperate posts give me a few minutes

czech it out!!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Kid in Queen City

Progressive shots of the shadowlining!
before shots

application

after shots

The shadowline looks very good. I had minimal to no bubbles and no tearing, stretching, etc. Application was simple and straightforward, but requires patience especially around the sharp corner at the rear of the window. just cover the trim with excess, trim the trim (lol) with a razer, and fold back into the creases with an old credit card or some similar application tool
It's $20 for a roll, and if used wisely can cover two cars and still have some left over for touchups. However next time I may just opt for a can of black plasti dip

Last edited by Mr. Crimson; 05-05-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crimson View Post
However next time I may just opt for a can of black plasti dip
^ This. The application looks great, but the OEM trim is still rusting underneath the film.

I guess it might under Plasti-dip, too.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Kid in Queen City

Saturday: Project Facelift!!

hood shocks before & after

radiator cover and grills before and after

wiper arms before & after

cowl cover

before & after

So the Duplicolor Trim Paint worked very nicely. It dried quickly especially outside while it was nice. Paint dried very evenly and smooth, looking pretty much 99% factory. of course it helps to have a good painter It didn't want to stick to the slick chrome finish of the kidney grills, but some sanding and MULTIPLE coats ended up working nicely.

overall i am very pleased, but there is still lots to do!!! please feel free to speculate and ask questions

Last edited by Mr. Crimson; 05-06-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Kid in Queen City

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
^ This. The application looks great, but the OEM trim is still rusting underneath the film.

I guess it might under Plasti-dip, too.
Right right, next time i'll actually sand and paint. Of course depending on how long the shadowline holds up, which I figure will be quite a while

Next on the list is a coolant flush. just bought 3 gallons. i'll likely knock that out this weekend so it can be done before it gets really hot.

Last edited by Mr. Crimson; 05-05-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
Sweet looks good, I missed a fun weekend. Hey do you by any chance have a floor jack? I especially like your painted hood shocks. My car is black so not much point for me on that one.

1996 328iS - OK FINE! It isn't really original now, Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Sport Suspension
Old 05-06-2014, 05:56 AM
Josh

Mein Auto: Built inze Fatherland 325
your attention to detail is very good! even the hood shocks being color matched to the car

everything looks awesome! but watch out for that trim paint... it wont last forever, I painted my M3 trim with duplicolor trim paint and it flaked off in about a month of washing the car once or twice a week. I hope this is just a fluke that happened to me...

honestly though, awesome work your doing keep it up. that car will last a loooong time and look awesome while doing it

perfect e36-my slow progress thread ->http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...040&highlight=
Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Kid in Queen City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeisl View Post
your attention to detail is very good! even the hood shocks being color matched to the car

everything looks awesome! but watch out for that trim paint... it wont last forever, I painted my M3 trim with duplicolor trim paint and it flaked off in about a month of washing the car once or twice a week. I hope this is just a fluke that happened to me...

honestly though, awesome work your doing keep it up. that car will last a loooong time and look awesome while doing it
Thanks a lot!! Yes I plan to have this car for a long time and I love doing this work
For the trim paint, do you think a couple coats of flat clear would help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
Sweet looks good, I missed a fun weekend. Hey do you by any chance have a floor jack? I especially like your painted hood shocks. My car is black so not much point for me on that one.
Thanks and no i don't have a proper floor jack yet

Last edited by Mr. Crimson; 05-06-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Josh

Mein Auto: Built inze Fatherland 325
Quote:
For the trim paint, do you think a couple coats of flat clear would help?
very well might. never tried. good idea

perfect e36-my slow progress thread ->http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...040&highlight=
Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Import and Euro Fanatic

Mein Auto: 1998 328i 5 Speed
looks nice! i am thinking about dong some of the trim painting myself.

as for the shadowline vs plasti-dip, i would vote VHT epoxy semiflat black paint. it is kinda flexible like plasti-dip, but not designed to be removed like plasti-dip. car is looking good though.

also are the coilovers you are getting progressive rate springs or fixed?
the ride quality is much better with progressive. i had a 240sx that i lowered on eiback sportline extremes (progressive) that rode great. but a shock started leaking, and i through on a coilover that i had laying around, (fixed) and just the one changed the ride tremendously.

Last edited by diptenkrom; 05-06-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Kid in Queen City

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptenkrom View Post
looks nice! i am thinking about dong some of the trim painting myself.

as for the shadowline vs plasti-dip, i would vote VHT epoxy semiflat black paint. it is kinda flexible like plasti-dip, but not designed to be removed like plasti-dip. car is looking good though.

also are the coilovers you are getting progressive rate springs or fixed?
the ride quality is much better with progressive. i had a 240sx that i lowered on eiback sportline extremes (progressive) that rode great. but a shock started leaking, and i through on a coilover that i had laying around, (fixed) and just the one changed the ride tremendously.
Thanks!! The raceland coilovers are progressive so it should maintain a pretty comfy ride. My friend slammed his accord (see in pic above) with some ebay coils and it's still comfortable in my sense of the word. Plus with new bushings and end links, the car should handle and ride pretty nice and crisp.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Sweet!

1996 328iS - OK FINE! It isn't really original now, Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Sport Suspension

Last edited by dwonda; 05-08-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Import and Euro Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks!! The raceland coilovers are progressive so it should maintain a pretty comfy ride. My friend slammed his accord (see in pic above) with some ebay coils and it's still comfortable in my sense of the word. Plus with new bushings and end links, the car should handle and ride pretty nice and crisp.
i rode in a 323is with the tien 2-2.5" drop springs and they rode better than stock, but people that hadnt been in it before thought it was going to ride poorly cause it was lowered, but afterward they commented on how it "didnt feel lowered." so when i get around to lowering that is probably the route i will choose because they ride good and are good quality for the price ~$200-250ish. and i am not crazy low car guy... like the look, but too tall to do it myself.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Kid in Queen City

Well guys, yesterday was pretty fun. It's about 85-90 and breezy, feels very nice in the shade. Beautiful day.

Did a few things, one was the coolant flush.

2 gal. of BMW coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water from walmart.

Car was still pretty warm when we did this. Heater on full for a few seconds to open the heater core. Dino ramp'd, found the block drain plug, removed it and the radiator plug, unscrewed bleed cap, fluid went everywhere but we were prepared for this, let the car run dry for a few minutes. Replaced drain plugs.
I started filling the overflow tank with 50/50 mixed coolant/distilled water until it stopped going down. Then I slowly filled it to the top to push the bubbles out. Used this method to bleed for a good 30 seconds, lots of fluid overflowed while bleeding but it's okay. At this point pretty much done, let it sit for a few minutes. Started the car, let it get up to temp. All good.

coolant flush done after this we looked at my headlights. After some troubleshooting (amp meter) as to why my brights weren't working, we narrowed it down to the (passenger side) white cable running from inside the housing to the bulb. Of course, this meant disassembling the entire headlight. After fidgeting with it, we put it back together and both brights now worked!! Next time it's the mystery of the foglights

Last interesting thing of the day is. Noticed my front and rear shocks had "Bilstein" stickers on them. Managed to sneak my phone around to take pictures of the bit i couldn't see. Quick google search of the numbers indicated PO had replaced the shocks/struts with Bilstein's factory-replacements "Touring Class." Not sure if this is good or bad, but interesting to say the least. What do you guys think??? Also got a good look at my front end while I was down there and noticed, all my bushings are in pretty rough shape. I'll definitely be replacing those along with my coilovers.

Well, that and it was a good mother's day!! Gotta love free food!

Last edited by Mr. Crimson; 05-12-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
I'd much rather do that trim wrap over pasti-dip. It will certainly last longer and you won't have to worry about too much water pressure blowing it off. Nice job. Link to it? I want to get it for the E30.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Kid in Queen City

Thanks! It's holding up quite well and still looks good.

Shadowline

Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Kid in Queen City

Okay. Soooo every now and then, a small amount of smoke will come from under the hood. Rear of the engine, passenger side. Looks like oil is on the headers and being burned. My buddy said possibly rear main seal leak, but some quick research tells me it's the VCG. Which is strange because I replaced it when I bought the car not too long ago. Thoughts??

Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
I'd much rather do that trim wrap over pasti-dip. It will certainly last longer and you won't have to worry about too much water pressure blowing it off. Nice job. Link to it? I want to get it for the E30.
Yeah, a vinyl or more durable paint would be the preferred route, but actually, my plastidipped shadowline trim is holding up pretty well, and I stopped babying it while washing my car a long time ago. Still, you can tell that it isn't as durable as a proper paint would be, however.

Quote:
Okay. Soooo every now and then, a small amount of smoke will come from under the hood. Rear of the engine, passenger side. Looks like oil is on the headers and being burned. My buddy said possibly rear main seal leak, but some quick research tells me it's the VCG. Which is strange because I replaced it when I bought the car not too long ago. Thoughts??
Hmmm... It could be either. The "half moons" of the valve cover gasket can be challenging to get a seal on if you don't do it just right, so that could be your issue. Or it could be the rear main seal... I'd recommend taking a peak back there with a mirror if possible.

BTW, your car is looking great, Adam! I love watching your progress.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Yes, first time a tech replaced my VCG, it still leaked, so it is not unheard of. Did you do it yourself? If you didn't you could probably bring it back and get it done pho free!

Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Kid in Queen City

Thanks Karl!! And yes Andrew, I did it myself. I used the copper RTV gasket sealant as well, and made sure to get all the half moons.

But I need to paint my valve cover soon, so I'll be replacing the gasket anyway. This just gives me reason to speed it up!! We'll go from there....

Old 05-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Import and Euro Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks Karl!! And yes Andrew, I did it myself. I used the copper RTV gasket sealant as well, and made sure to get all the half moons.

But I need to paint my valve cover soon, so I'll be replacing the gasket anyway. This just gives me reason to speed it up!! We'll go from there....
i assume that the oil is very low on the exhaust mani? cause if it is hgher, i dont see how rear main could do it. oil doesn't usually leak upward. trying to picture it myself i would think the VC is the most likely culprit, especially since the engine is slanted to that side...

half moons are a pita usually, havent done this on a BMW but nissan KA and SR motors have them too, and have had issue there as well.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
common issue guys have with rtv is not letting it set b4 puttting it back together..

when your ready to set the cover... and you do the half moons.. you have to let the sealent sit for 5-10 min b4 you place it and tighten it..other wise its just goes out the sides..

after its set for a few min.. when you tighting it down it becomes a gasket.. not a squeeze out the side sealant.. ya dig?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
and i say 5 to 10 min because people only last 3 min anyway