Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-27-2014, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Retro Fitting an HUD to a Z4

Hi Z$ Fans,
I have a 2014 Z4 that I got last October. Put about 1300 miltes on it and had to store it for the interminable Wisconsin winter. I just recently got it back out. I've driven a car with an HUD and loved it mostly because it was digital. My Q5 has a digital speed readout iin the center of the instruments. Much easier for me to read than the speedo in daylight.

Does anyone have any good information related to putting an HUD unit in a Z4? I talked to the dealer and to be honest, they weren't much help other than to say the factory doesn't off anything. Thanks for any help anyone has to offer.
Dave
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 IS , Ford Raptor
Garmin makes a unit. Don't have any info or experience with it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the Garmin unit but it requires a smart phone with an APP and I don't have a smart phone.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
HUD has never been offered as an option on a Z4 or I would already have it. Hard to make that work in an aftermarket add. My advice: first get a smartphone, then worry about odd Z mods.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 05-19-2014, 06:15 PM

Z4 hud

Thanks for the response. I just found out how to get what I need. It's not a true HUD but it works pretty well. I got a 7" Garmin GPS. You turn it on, touch the right side, then touch the speed in the lower left. It gives you a mock dashboard with the speed in 3/4 to 1" high letters of white numbers on black background. I mounted it in front of the current instruments on the steering column. It's not pretty, but it works. At night when I can see the regular instruments I just take it down. The Garmin just plugs into the lighter socket so the cord is a non-issue. If you have better eyes than I do, you can get one of the smaller units and mount it right on the dash right next to the instrument cluster or do some version of putting it where I did. Again, thanks for the response.
Dave
Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: not a Z4 just yet
Hmm ... isn't that something that can be coded on our Z4? Digital speed display in the gauge cluster?