Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:13 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Cool Our GT must have suffered a recent blow to the head, a mild partial concussion

Ah, never a dull moment... So went to wash the car yesterday and upon starting I received this warning: Pedestrian Warning Malfunction. Ok, I can deal with that...I assume something weird happened with the night vision system, not a big deal since we really don't use it. Then I opened the rear passenger door after washing and drying the exterior; the window went down ~1/3 of the way (that's strange I think to myself). Wipe the frame and door hinge area dry, close the door and the window fully retracts (oh crap, this is not a good sign). Adhering to my fathers mantra, "there is no need to panic until it is time to panic" I finish up the other doors to see if any of the others follow suit. No. Okay, good. Start the car, back it into the garage and verify we don't have a low battery voltage message (had it early in the week as it had sat for a week undriven, but went on a day trip ~130mi around the DFW area with no issues and no battery notices 4 days prior to this occurrence). So I decide to try the window. Pull up on the button it will not go up, try pushing the button to lower it and it tries to lower but obviously cannot (ah ha!), hopeful this triggered the switch/lower bump stop I try to raise it again, no luck.

We now have another service visit scheduled on Friday, I can only assume a trickle charger is in our near future. Our poor love child. Looks like it just wants to stay in its bedroom and sulk like a proper teenager, they grow up so fast... sigh.

Last edited by daders; 09-29-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
If you don't drive the vehicle frequently, two things can help: lock it and keep the key away from it! and, consider a trickle charger for those longer gaps between driving it. The car goes through a routine of shutting down stuff the longer it sits, but some stuff just continues to run. For instance, did you know that if you don't drive it for more than two weeks, it will cycle the wipers to prevent a 'set' in the rubber? Sometimes I think they're too smart, but when you buy a luxury car, the trend is put more and more into it.

A low battery can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. Sometimes, a hard reset (remove the battery cable for awhile) does it, but that also deletes lots of presets and is the last resort.

Thing is, the switch is likely not actually connected to power and the motor...it's likely just a logic switch telling the computer what you want to do. For example, I swapped the headlight switch to a Euro version that enabled the (already there and ready) rear fog lights, and the switch has only a small 4-wire maybe 22g set of wires going into a plug...no way it powers anything. Installing the new one didn't require any reprogramming of the vehicle, but it must just send a message to the computer to turn on the rear fog lights that was already in the computer's programming.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 09-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM
There is no spoon

Our GT must have suffered a recent blow to the head, a mild partial concussion

Based on other threads about weird electrical issues I read I was postulating it was battery related. I was hoping though that it would be "smart" enough to realize the window was fully down and would reset itself, but clearly they have not made the electronics that complex...yet.

That windshield wiper feature is nuts! I fear I may have "married" above my class.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 AM
There is no spoon

Well, the GT is with the dealer again. Got a sweet little 328i as a loaner...I can see why people really enjoy these things, it reminds me of those fun "bumper" car race tracks at the beach. Just a tight, sporty fun drive, still firmly believe it needs the I6 though. Only problem is it looks so dinky in the garage where the GT is supposed to be sitting.

Anywho, SA said shouldn't take long to get the window fixed and fortunately service was due so one less visit to the dealer.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
Daders my passenger side rear window had a similar scenario. I was retrieving my 2yr old daughter out of her car seat at the passenger side rear door. I opened the door and noticed that the window moved down considerably further than the normal small crack downward when the door opens. When I shut the door the window fell completely into the door. The anti trap function message appeared. I went thru the functions to reset the window to no avail. The window regulator failed, and needed to be replaced. It is not a difficult repair just disappointing.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue2258 View Post
Daders my passenger side rear window had a similar scenario. I was retrieving my 2yr old daughter out of her car seat at the passenger side rear door. I opened the door and noticed that the window moved down considerably further than the normal small crack downward when the door opens. When I shut the door the window fell completely into the door. The anti trap function message appeared. I went thru the functions to reset the window to no avail. The window regulator failed, and needed to be replaced. It is not a difficult repair just disappointing.
Interestingly the SA just phoned and told me verbatim about the regulator. Had to wait on the part so it took a while, but should be picking ours up this evening! It'll be good to see the beast back in the garage...the 328i loaner just looks odd in its place ;-)
Old 10-12-2013, 02:36 PM
There is no spoon

Woo hoo! GT is back! Washed her this AM. I know my neighbors think I'm nuts as I have detailed the car more than it has been driven by about a 2:1 ratio. Just some Vinylex work to see if I can soften up (or at least slow down) the hardening of the window seals that I discovered last week, some paint chip work (must practice in inconspicuous areas first), and dog hair removal (time to break out the lint roller, I fear).

All is right in this microcosm of the world, taking care of our car is therapeutic to me for some reason...

Old 10-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Hardening rubber...one of the hazards of living closer to the equator...the UV, heat, and humidity can be stifling. I've been remiss on mine...it doesn't get the care I used to expend on my previous cars. Will clean it well one more time and put on a new coat of wax in the next few weeks, but during the winter, it only will get rinsed off periodically.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Hardening rubber...one of the hazards of living closer to the equator...the UV, heat, and humidity can be stifling. I've been remiss on mine...it doesn't get the care I used to expend on my previous cars. Will clean it well one more time and put on a new coat of wax in the next few weeks, but during the winter, it only will get rinsed off periodically.
I agree somewhat, however our 1993 525i has less "rubber" drying problems than our recently acquired 2010 GT. The sedan spent the first 10 yrs in Pittsburgh garaged and the last 10 yrs in JAX, FL out in the elements while the GT has split time between NJ & Naples by 1st owner (assuming garaged but not not sure). Additionally our 1999 528it wagon was even worse with the windshield exterior rubber trim cracked after 8 yrs. So clearly the product quality/durability has decreased since the E34 time frame. I am much more sensitive to this issue because of the wagon but my greater concern is water seepage due to the frameless door design should the material detioriate.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 5 Series 330d GT
What do you use to prevent the rubber hardening and how often do you apply?

Only 2 weeks old and 4 car washes. I dare say my neighbours are hoping the new car effect will wear off soon.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 AM
There is no spoon

Vinylex is the name of the product, I bought it online. It was recommended by the master tech at my local dealership. I found another product named Gummipflege that used to be mfg by (or for) BMW and wish that was still available as I believe it would work better as per some of the Z3 threads I found when searching for a product.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
Meguire's has a product called Back to Black that is available at most Auto Zone type auto parts stores. It does a great job on old plastic and a nice job on our GT's rubber gaskets and below the front of the windshield.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Well, the GT is with the dealer again. Got a sweet little 328i as a loaner...I can see why people really enjoy these things, it reminds me of those fun "bumper" car race tracks at the beach. Just a tight, sporty fun drive, still firmly believe it needs the I6 though. Only problem is it looks so dinky in the garage where the GT is supposed to be sitting.

Anywho, SA said shouldn't take long to get the window fixed and fortunately service was due so one less visit to the dealer.

My wife drives a 335 x-drive (with M package) that has the I6. Like your missus, mine does not 'do gas'. Thus I 'have' to drive the thing to get it. With its M sport steering wheel, it is a boatload of fun to drive and if you aren't careful you will find yourself going 90 MPH on the highway while not feeling any sensation of excessive speed. (Not sure that explanation would work if caught by a speed trapping cop). I guess that is why she has the speed warning thing set at about 75.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:18 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue2258 View Post
Meguire's has a product called Back to Black that is available at most Auto Zone type auto parts stores. It does a great job on old plastic and a nice job on our GT's rubber gaskets and below the front of the windshield.
I used Back to Black on both of other BMWs and it certainly made the black look original. I, however, do not believe it rejuvenates hardened/cracking door seals and gaskets. I'm not convinced that Vinylex does any better, but I'll continue to use it until the bottle is gone...