Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
New key initialization. Please help.

Just bought a very expensive replacement key from the dealer (about one hour away). 2010 550i GT, no comfort access. It doesn't function. How do I initialize it?
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr628 View Post
Just bought a very expensive replacement key from the dealer (about one hour away). 2010 550i GT, no comfort access. It doesn't function. How do I initialize it?
I assume that CA worked before. Does the new fob do all the other things a fob is supposed to do?

I ask because last year both my fobs suddenly would not do anything. I figured out how to open them and put in brand new batteries to prove or disprove that batteries were the cause. No joy so I thought it had to do with the receiving circuit itself. I took it in, explained what I had a done and sure enough I was correct. They changed the receiving 'antenna' and then because they did not like how the fobs were performing they ordered me two new ones and programmed them for me, all under warranty.

I too must assume that they programmed the new fob to the car for you and should have tested all functions. I also have to ask if you are touching the ribbed surfaces on the door handle as sometimes if I don't the CA does not respond.

Finally, from this thread:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...procedure.html

if you note the fact that there can be only two key fobs programmed for CA. If the dealer did not 'remove' the lost one, it appears that the new one will not work for CA.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
You are most welcome. Sorry I couldn't pin it down definitively. Good luck in resolving it.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
As delivered, the vehicle can only support two fully functional comfort access fobs. I think it can support more fobs for manual door and engine operation, but there are only two CA ports. I've been told that they can add up to two more, but it requires adding a new circuit board or modifying the existing one to support two more CA functional ports. If the FOB was a replacement that was lost of damaged, it can be made to replace one of the originally paired ports. What REALLY gets expensive is if you do not have at least one working CA fob...then, you have to replace the entire receiver with new fobs, as it takes one working one to program the other unless you have the factory equipment which the dealers do not.