Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 5 Series 330d GT
Angry What the sales person does not tell you

It was with great joy I ordered my 530d GT 2014 model, optioned to the hilt. I waited 6 Months for it to arrive, and an additional 3 weeks due to a faulty part discovered only when it arrived at the dealers.

After a few days I realised I was missing the internet, the Traffic Jam Assistant and the speed sign warnings in the HUD.

The dealer finally said they could turn on the internet but I would have to come in again, that will be visit 3. Why they don't ask you when you pick up the car is beyond me.

I called BMW Head office and the guy on the phone said yes you should have the Traffic Jam Assistant and the speed sign warnings in the HUD and could not see any reason it would not work. So much for unified knowledge in BMW. Makes me think there is very little communications from HO to the dealers.

The dealer in an email today said sorry you canít have those options in Australia and we don't see them being available anytime in the near future. Adding to that I found out (after taking delivery) that the real time traffic information/updates don't work in NSW. Would have been nice for the dealer to mention that as well.

What really annoys me is during the sale the same salesperson sat across the desk and said yes the car will drive for you and go around corners. It would seem he was never aware of this feature and the speed sign not being allowed in AUS but was happy to sell me the dream.

Naturally I got fed the generic "All options and specification are subject to change without notice including country specific option changes which is explained in the brochureís."

What really annoys me is I do not know of this Traffic Jam Assistant and the speed sign warnings in the HUD ever being allowed in AUS. Can anyone tell me if they were ever released in AUS?

I doubt I have any legal stand point on this and don't really want any compensation, however if offered I would take it. Itís more that this dealer and sales person has absolutely ruined what should have been a fantastic memory. Itís not like I was buying a $5,000 car.
Now every time I look down at the steering wheel and at the HUD it will just be a reminder of how I feel I have been duped by BMW and the dealer.

Am I alone in my experience or have others fallen victim to this type of misleading marketing/sales?
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Bummer. That traffic jam assistant was a black-eye for BMW. I have one of the first 2014 GTs and the manual explains all about the Traffic Jam assistant but it was later pulled from any US carÖ.. maybe even European too.

When I took delivery, I found that Blind Spot Detection was missing. It took a while but for some unknown reason, that option is removed from the Driving Assistant Package on M-Sport 5GT models (just the GT not the sedan).

Your disappointment is warranted and the worst I've heard. I'd complain to the maximum about the CA to corporate and national BMW in your shoes. Just be nice about it in every interaction. Honey gets more than bitter.

Meanwhile, where's the required beauty shots of that puppy? :-)

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 04-28-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 AM

I was told that the speed sign info in the HUD was available and was removed as people were getting fines for speeding as the system could not recognise abnormal changes like work sites that have lower speed limits. But honestly think about it, its like saying my GPS said 60 and the temporary sign said 40, if I took that to court it would get thrown out and I would have to cop the fine. BMW and others seem to have covered their ass so much in every other area I cant see why they would be worried about this. After all it is us the drivers who have ultimate responsibility no matter what we are the person held responsible.

I suspect BMW is just running away from any legal issues on that one.

Maybe next time I get a fine I will say but its not my fault my friend said to do it, blame them.

I did see that the M-sport removed the tailgate foot access with the comfort system. Again you would think with all their smarts BMW could design a real end that could include space detection device. Just seems a little lazy. Like they delete the blind spot detection, there is no real reason they could not design it back in.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 AM

That is odd. My 2014 m-sport gt with comfort access has the hands free tailgate.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:17 AM

mm perhaps I had that mixed up with the tow bar?

I had a look at what I think is the foot sensor, expecting to see a single sensor but I suspect its what looks like a largish bit of black plastic under the centre of the back of the car.
So I'm not sure what the sensor is exactly. I would have thought it was a small thing but cant see anything like that. What is it sensing? Movement, heat, not touch?

I could see that this plastic would need to be removed to accommodate the towbar. This could I guess knock out the sensor. Although you would think they could reposition it to one side?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:50 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
My hunch is that there is no way that Australian authorities outlaw the speed limit display.

The display of speed traps - sure. Speed limit display? Even the Australian government is not that crazy. Almost. But not quite.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014-5gt View Post
mm perhaps I had that mixed up with the tow bar?

I had a look at what I think is the foot sensor, expecting to see a single sensor but I suspect its what looks like a largish bit of black plastic under the centre of the back of the car. .... Although you would think they could reposition it to one side?
Mine is located on the right side near the exhaust.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540
I just took European Delivery of a 2014 550 GT M-Sport. For the 7 fun filled days I drove it throughout Bavaria, the HUD accurately displayed speed limit. I certainly expect that to remain working when my car arrives at customs in beautiful Brunswick, GA on May 26th.

P.S. The foot sensor worked as well for the trunk.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:37 PM

Sounds like a great delivery and post drive, Congratulations. If only Petrol was not so expensive here the 550 would have been in my sights. However we have the option of 2 diesel engines which makes up for it, I believe the US do not get a diesel option.

I was down at the dealer yesterday and noticed on a new 5 series brochure they had printed next to the picture of the HUD. * Speed display not valid for Australia. That's new, as I kept my original brochure and it did not have that. But they just refereed me back the their generic we reserve the right to change and remove anything if we decide and there is not a dam thing you can do about it.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
While BMW offers a few models with a limited diesel engine option (essentially only one engine), they do not do it for the GT in the USA. FWIW, while the USA mandated low(er) sulfur content in diesel awhile ago, it is still quite a bit higher than that available in most of Europe (and maybe AU as well). THis means, the diesel engine sold here is not the same as those sold elsewhere. Certifying their full line of diesels with the required modifications for the USA just may not be worth it to them. I did wait in anticipation for over a year, hoping they would offer it on the GT, but finally relented and got the 535i. It may have to do with making room for the urea tank, and the extra pumps and injector to make it meet the emissions requirements.

IF I use my cellphone's nav feature, it does show the speed limit sign info...don't know if it would do that while in AU...I may make it there one of these days and give it a try! It may just be it's not in the database, but generally, it needs that to calculate a reasonable trip arrival time.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 04-30-2014 at 05:30 PM.