Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Kubota
Oh boy, I got discomboobulated about an X3 yesterday

I've been pretty well set to buy an X3, emailing back and forth amongst three different internet guys. Yesterday I drove the 30 some miles into the big city to drive one or more than one without identifying myself to anyone I had emailed. So far so good.

But I've been interested in the diesel as a possibility and wanted to compare gas and diesel X3's. No diesel X3 available but they did have a diesel 328d Sports Wagon. OK, I'll try that mostly to see about the noise it makes and also, if I could, to see if it runs out of oomph when negotiating a slow uphill. (I have good experience of diesels and still own one of the four I've had - a Dodge truck. I know that diesel can be many things but if their boost isn't sufficient or timed right they'll bog down when driven slowly uphill).

I LOVED THE CAR! It drives like a sedan, handles like the low slung sexy BMW it is and I didn't think the noise was bad - I liked it's sound. I'd rather a stick but this eight speed auto shifts quick and solidly not feeling like any auto trans I've ever known. On the two little grades I found the car didn't bog, it downshifted and cruised.

To cut this long story a little bit I'm now conflicted pretty badly about an X3 at all. 43 mpg?! And they tell me the wagon can be sparkling bronze with saddle brown too? Oh my.

I think I need ground clearance - heck my 1/2 mile driveway near requires at least 7", but I could raise one of the wagons an inch or so, eh?

Somebody tell me what makes that wagen a wrong choice. If I were still in my more impulsive youth I'd have driven one of those wagons home yesterday.

Am I sounding like my 65 years of age? Is this what's meant by 'second childhood'?

Last edited by Hill; 05-05-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: speeling
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2014, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
There's nothing wrong with the wagon. It's a cool car. But the X3 has a larger interior (albeit not by an enormous margin) and, more noticeably, larger headroom.

A couple of things annoyed me about the wagon:

-I live in SoCal. I don't need all-wheel drive. I don't mind it either, but it's not a necessity here.
-Given that I don't need XDrive, you can't get a 2WD wagon F31. Bummer.
-I also learned that you must order ZDH (dynamic handling) in order to get a real sports suspension. Ordering MSport/Sportline does not give you that because of the XDrive.
-It's a bummer there is still a significant "wagon tax" (a.k.a the price over the sedan)
Old 05-05-2014, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If you raise the wagon by an inch, it will no longer drive like a BMW.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerovector View Post
There's nothing wrong with the wagon. It's a cool car. But the X3 has a larger interior (albeit not by an enormous margin) and, more noticeably, larger headroom.

A couple of things annoyed me about the wagon:

-I live in SoCal. I don't need all-wheel drive. I don't mind it either, but it's not a necessity here.
-Given that I don't need XDrive, you can't get a 2WD wagon F31. Bummer.
-I also learned that you must order ZDH (dynamic handling) in order to get a real sports suspension. Ordering MSport/Sportline does not give you that because of the XDrive.
-It's a bummer there is still a significant "wagon tax" (a.k.a the price over the sedan)
I see that the dynamic handling package for wagons doesn't include the rear wheel biasing that X3 does, but I'd want it for the shocks and steering anyway.
I do want xDrive (by whatever name) in any car I drive much as it snows at my house and the roads up here often ice up. And, of course, it rains sometimes..

X - I wouldn't jack it up. That would only mean that I'd been too lazy to get the tractor out and smooth the drive after the rainiest season. And I drive around the pitfalls while I don't think that my wife even notices the roughness in her LX460. It's only the UPS guy who grumbles about our road.

Is the diesel that's now in the 328d the same engine that can be gotten in an X3?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
Is the diesel that's now in the 328d the same engine that can be gotten in an X3?
Its the same engine with possibly some minor difference.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 x3 28i
like my x3. I already have a mini van
Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
They diesel X3's are out - find a dealer that has one - you'll want one. Order it the way you want.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
Since you love the handling, perhaps you should take a look at the 3 series GT as it is mildly taller than the wagon.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Ground clearance is key, we have owned AWD cars, and while they may capablble in Many conditions, ground clearance always becomes a issue in winter. If you think you can add ground clearance, you might as well buy a Camary.

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
2006 350Z Roadster - sold
To many others to bother with...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 AM

Sports wagon

Also, you might want to read the latest Car And Driver mag. The one with the red BMW Sports Wagon on the cover.

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouda View Post
Also, you might want to read the latest Car And Driver mag. The one with the red BMW Sports Wagon on the cover.
That's a 328i coupe, not the wagon.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Must have got confused since I was reading the article about the Sports Wagon just before I posted.

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I actually think wagons are cool and more upscale than a sedan version of the same car. Wagons have the same utility as a SUV/SAV (whatever you want to call our X3's). We bought the SUV because my wife was completely opposed to a 'wagon'.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouda View Post
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Must have got confused since I was reading the article about the Sports Wagon just before I posted.
Actually, it's a 228i

There is a wagon comparison in the magazine.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Have the official EPA fuel economy figures been released for the X3 xDrive28d yet?

Past BMWs:
1983 320i
1987 325
1996 M3 (ED)
1998 M3 Cabrio (ED)
2002 530i (ED)

Current Cars:
2005 X3 (ED)
2006 Mini Cooper Cabrio
2006 Porsche 911 Cabrio
Old 05-08-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastm3 View Post
Have the official EPA fuel economy figures been released for the X3 xDrive28d yet?
I don't know if it's official but I've been seeing 23 and 34 mpg for the X3d and that's pretty good and must reflect the higher wind resistance of the SUV over the wagon with about the same city number but 43 as the highway number.

But......did I mention how neat is the tailgate on the wagon? It splits - has an upper and a lower tailgate like my father's Country Squire (except the rear window doesn't power down)?

And many more colors available - including if the luxury line is chosen my longtime favorite Sparkling Bronze with saddle tan interior which will look luscious!

I'll admit it - the wagon is dissolving my resolution to have a new X3.