Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-11-2014, 04:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Now I see. Initially, I imagined you would have difficulty closing the hood with the thickness of 2 pieces. Now that I see where you have applied the seal and the hood can be closed without any error alert, it stands to reason why there was no such problems. But I must say, it takes some precision to align the piece immediately under the hood such that the the upper and lower pieces can interlock. On the other hand, I wonder if that additional step is necessary since bimmernut1's method has managed to "seal" the engine compartment rather well I must say.

Last edited by jeff_K; 04-11-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfeiner View Post
Here are the pics
Nice job.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport
Old 04-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
Prior to adding the weather stripping (or even after), do you have a bit of movement of the hood when you press down on it? My hood is aligned perfectly but the travel when I press down on it seems excessive. Definitely more than on my MB E350 cab. I am having the dealer look at it in 2 weeks. I have the weather stripping arriving in the mail today but will not put it on until after my visit to the dealer. I do not want them giving me any hassles.
Dealer says the movement in the hood is normal. I wasn't there. My wife was and a tech showed her another X3 that had the same movement ( so she says).
I will be installing thevweatherstrippingnthisvweekend.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Just installed the weather stripping today. Hopefully it works as well as your has.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Those of you (including bimmernut1 & gfeiner) who have installed the weather seal for some time now, how are they holding? Please state how long and leave some comments on the state of the engine compartment? It's also appreciated if you can make a note if material and technique used is different from that posted here. THANKS!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_K View Post
Those of you (including bimmernut1 & gfeiner) who have installed the weather seal for some time now, how are they holding? Please state how long and leave some comments on the state of the engine compartment? It's also appreciated if you can make a note if material and technique used is different from that posted here. THANKS!
Everything is holding perfectly. No movement in the weatherstripping and a clean engine compartment. Because my neighbor decided to startup his sprinkler system the one day in 15 years I parked my car on the street (while guttering was being put on house), I had to have the entire X3 detailed. Engine compartment literally looks better than the day I picked it up and the weather stripping will keep it that way.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Finally drove the X3 in inclimate weather since installing the weather stripping in the engine compartment. Perfectly clean after the rain soaked ride.
I too, had to use a few drops of super clue in 2 spots to keep the rubber down. I also extended the stripping on top of the lights whereby they go further into the front fender since there is a space under the front fender over the headlights whereby dirt can get in. But thanks to you guys (especially Bimmernut1), this was great fix.

Last edited by dudley07726; 05-09-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti QX56
Bimmernut,
Fascinating (if not crazy) string of posts and hats off to you for all the work to fix what is obviously a design flaw of really serious proportions. Couple of follow ups:
Is everything still holding as originally installed, or have you had to replace some of the stripping now that you've gone through the summer months?
Did you ever get this in front of anyone at BMW and, if so, can you tell if they've modified their specs to address the issue?
Seems crazy that a $10 purchase on Amazon is such a great fix for a $50,000 vehicle, but it is what it is.
Thanks again for your diligence.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Has the lack of a good front hood weather seal been addressed on the new revised 2015 models?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:23 PM

The weatherstripping is still secure. No excessive blow by anymore. Now I just do the normal engine cleaning to remove dust buildup.

I never heard anything back from BMW although I sent them before and after photos. I'm not sure if they've addressed it on the 2015 models. The next time I'm at the dealer I'll pop one of the hoods and look.

I agree, the cost to BMW would be next to nothing. I probably shouldn't blame accountants but it seems like some type of cost cutting measure that a bean counter would do since the older models sealed the compartment. It could be the current engineers just missed it.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Finally drove the X3 in inclimate weather since installing the weather stripping in the engine compartment. Perfectly clean after the rain soaked ride.
I too, had to use a few drops of super clue in 2 spots to keep the rubber down. I also extended the stripping on top of the lights whereby they go further into the front fender since there is a space under the front fender over the headlights whereby dirt can get in. But thanks to you guys (especially Bimmernut1), this was great fix.
Mine has help up very well.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Mine has help up very well. Some blow by when real heavy rain but nothing like pre-weather-stripping application.