Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo xc 70
How to get a good deal? - 2014 x3 35i - newbie to car purchases here

Hi All,

I've only purchased one car in my life and I'm probably going to purchase a new one soon. I found a 2014 X3 that I'd like to pursue but I could use some tips on how to get the best price. When I took it for a test drive the salesman wouldn't even make me an official offer. He said something to the extent of, when you're ready to pull the trigger we can negotiate but we can only do a few hundred dollars difference because we pre-adjust our prices - which is BS.

Here's how the car is listed online:

MSRP: $57,500
'express price': $53,500

Invoice price according to KBB and Edmunds: $52,855

How much is an appropriate amount to pay? I've read that $1000 under invoice is reasonable. Should I tell them what I'm willing to pay upfront or wait until they've made their official offer? Also, how do I factor in $2000 build out cash? There is also a $750 recent college grad incentive that I'm eligible for - can I use both incentives? I'm not planning to finance the car, but I am trading in my old car. Their offer for my old car was definitely not generous.

Any tips or suggestions that you may have are greatly appreciated. I'm not experienced in car buying, but I still want to get a good deal. It's obvious that some salesmen try to take advantage of younger buyers.
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
With the LCI 2015's out, you should be able to negotiate $7,000 - $9,000 off MSRP on a 2014. You should also be able to use both incentives. If the dealer isn't willing to negotiate, walk out and find another dealer.

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 05-07-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo xc 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
With the LCI 2015's out, you should be able to negotiate $7,000 - $9,000 off MSRP on a 2014. You should also be able to use both incentives. If the dealer isn't willing to negotiate, walk out and find another dealer.
Does the $7000-9000 include the incentives? Thank you for the tip!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: Hoping for an X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW3357 View Post
Does the $7000-9000 include the incentives? Thank you for the tip!
Usually yes.

I was torn between a 2014 and a 2015. While trying for a 2014 I had a local dealer down to invoice price on an X3 M Sport, but then the $2,000 incentive took the price that far below invoice. I still thought there was some room (the dealer was very high on fees and stuff including $100 to clean and prep the car) so I walked away.

On a 2015 you should be able to get a dealer all the way down, or even below, their invoice price and then the incentives should help your further. Remember, the incentives are from BMW, the invoice price is the important thing to the dealer, so when you combine the two below invoice pricing should be the norm for a 2014 leftover.

The net of all this was about $7,000 off sticker price on a $57,500 stickered vehicle.

Also remember, you always get the best deal from a dealer with the car you want on their lot. When dealers have to get something from another dealer the deals won't be as good. So search the inventories of several dealers if you can and be willing to travel a bit for the price. You can do a ton of haggling on the phone and via email before needing to make the trip.

I got a dealer down to only $500 over invoice tonight for a new 2015...and that is what I opted for. Again, I pretty much had the deal done via phone and email. Visited the dealer for the first time tonight and was out the door in an hour.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: Hoping for an X3
And by the way, don't even start talking about the value of your trade in until you have a final negotiated price on the new car. Keep the negotiations separate otherwise the dealer will make up for one thing by hitting you somewhere else.

The trade in is basically a form of payment. How you plan to pay for the car should not determine the price of the car. Keep that separate.