Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: None
Configure online and ship to dealer?

This is the first time for me to buy a BMW.

I am considering buying a 2015 x3 in a month, but I cannot find the exact package in my local dealer. Can I configure the car online, and ask a dealer to ship there? Can I negotiate the price around invoice? Dealer does not need to do anything, right? Does that mean they should be willing to sell the car as long as it is above the invoice? Any comment is appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 05-13-2014, 03:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
A dealer still needs to order the car for you. You can configure the car on the BMWUSA website and take a printout with you to the dealer if you like. You still need to negotiate the price with the dealer before you sign the order sheet.

You say you are new to BMW's, but this process would be the same for any other brand of car.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: None
Thanks for the information. Do you know how long it usually takes from order to delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
A dealer still needs to order the car for you. You can configure the car on the BMWUSA website and take a printout with you to the dealer if you like. You still need to negotiate the price with the dealer before you sign the order sheet.

You say you are new to BMW's, but this process would be the same for any other brand of car.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
My understanding (based on 2011 purchase) is that each dealer is allotted a certain number of production slots covering the model year. Presumably, this is based on sales history. Each slot has a planned build date. Many of the slots specify predefined models and options. These vehicles are delivered to the dealer during the year and are those you find on the lot, ready for immediate sale. Other slots are "open", i.e., the specific model and options are defined by the dealer prior to the scheduled production date to fill a customer's specific order. The dealer is allocated some number of these open slots and will use the next one available to fill your order if the desired vehicle is not available or if you want the PCD option (see below). Sometimes a nearby dealer may have what you want and your dealer will work some sort of trade to obtain it for you. If the dealer uses an open slot, they should be able to tell you the scheduled production date and, based on this, an approximate delivery date.

So, I don't think that there is any way to bypass the dealer in the ordering process. Maybe some day... At least buying through a dealer begins a (hopefully good) relationship since you will undoubtedly make use of them for maintenance while under warranty.

Highly recommended: If you can get to the assembly plant in Spartanburg, SC to utilize the Performance Center Delivery option, do it! You'll still pay the shipping fee but, for that, they put you up at a hotel with dinner the night before, transport you to the Performance Center the next day, treat you to some on-track time in their vehicles, provide personalized delivery of your vehicle, treat you to lunch, and provide a tour of the assembly plant. Our delivery person spent more than an hour with us, introducing all the features, making certain our key fobs were correctly synched, etc. Since this was our first BMW, it was extremely helpful. She also provided a contact number which I later used to ask for clarification on one of the controls. All of this is really interesting and great fun. Most everyone learns something new in the process and the staff is infinitely patient. The vehicle was for my wife, replacing her 1991 Ford Explorer with some 225,000 miles on the clock. Talk about a leap forward! And they treated her like a queen throughout the process. The one disadvantage of a PCD is that it may add some delay to the process since they have to schedule you for the delivery and it's a popular option.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
If you are anywhere near the West Coast -- then email our fest founder Jon at jshafer@sbautogroup.com for great info and the best deal you will find.