Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535d M-Sport
X28d - why so slow?

I have a 2014 X35i and love it.

However I put a lot of miles on my car commuting and like the idea of a diesel.

I'm willing to put up with a slightly slower 0-60 time in the name of mpg, but BMW lists the 28d at 7.8 seconds. That is painfully slow, especially when in Europe the offer the 30d and 35d in the X3 that have 0-60 times of 5.9 and 5.3 seconds. Even the us spec X5 diesel is 6.9 seconds. I currently have a loaner 28i and that feels underpowered in highway passing power vs my 35i.

Am I the only one that feels spending $50-60k on an SUV that is only 7.8 off the line for a performance brand vehicle is a deal killer? Even while driving what I can find on the net says the 28d doesn't really have the highway passing power.
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2014, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 320iT (2001)
Your question raises the concern I have with the X3d as well. I'm currently shopping and am committed to purchasing a diesel. Love, love, love my E46 wagon and am considering the 328d Touring BUT would love a few more cubic ft of space with the X3d OR the Q5 TDI. Have owned and loved that brand, too. X5 and Q7 just too big.

So, I'm waiting to test drive the X3d because I'm concerned that it will be underpowered. I was not overwhelmed by the 328d...okay, just not great. At least the Q5 has a 6-cyl and was "peppy".

Am I missing something here? Reluctant to place an order without a test drive first. Just wish theyd put the 335d engine in the X3 stateside. Have driven it often (family member has 335d and X5d). May jump ship and go Audi this time.

Appreciate any thoughts and observations. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
If the 28d were named as it is across most of the planet your expectations would be set correctly. It's really a 20d.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 320iT (2001)
Aha! Marketing. Should have known
Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
CAFE requirements. Nothing more.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 05-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: Diesel
Take it to a Tuner and have the smog crap removed or turned off. That should add around 50HP to the engine. It did with my VW diesel!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: Kubota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMEE View Post
Take it to a Tuner and have the smog crap removed or turned off. That should add around 50HP to the engine. It did with my VW diesel!!!
Yes, there's a big aftermarket filled with options for the VW TDI - things that raise power and performance without impacting or in many cases actually improving fuel milage. Much of it involves plug and play chips that change the engine operating algorithms. (50 hp? ..)

It's a tempting world to enter and I might would do so if the cars did not so much resemble rolling potatoes.

I've been looking around but have not found a similar industry for the relatively new to U.S. BMW diesels. I'm sure that if the engines remain in our market the aftermarket guys will come forth with tricks but for now I'd bet they're waiting to gauge the market potential. Such enterprises stand to lose a lot if they invest in their designs but a manufacturer discontinues the object of their workings.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
If you drive a lot I doubt you spend very much time WOT. Diesels are all about torque, ie roll on power for passing or hilly terrain. You can drive the 28d at WOT and accelerate quicker than 99% of other drivers... you won't be able to squeeze out the 911 in the merge lane if that's your thing.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
Yes, there's a big aftermarket filled with options for the VW TDI - things that raise power and performance without impacting or in many cases actually improving fuel milage. Much of it involves plug and play chips that change the engine operating algorithms. (50 hp? ..)

It's a tempting world to enter and I might would do so if the cars did not so much resemble rolling potatoes.

I've been looking around but have not found a similar industry for the relatively new to U.S. BMW diesels. I'm sure that if the engines remain in our market the aftermarket guys will come forth with tricks but for now I'd bet they're waiting to gauge the market potential. Such enterprises stand to lose a lot if they invest in their designs but a manufacturer discontinues the object of their workings.
Good points all Sir...but remember our diesels (BMW) are out in Europe long before they hit the states. And as far as getting a Tuner who may do a hack job on our engine control units shop around and call people who have used them to see how they have worked. All of this can be summed in two words----RocketChip.com

This guy is not a hacker but plied his trade for years in the aviation industry (as I am told) and barely has time to answer emails because of all the demand on him for tuning. A lot of his tuning now comes thru the OBD port where he can access the programs he needs. Crazy as it may sound when you ask him to program an Engine Control Unit (or whatever name BMW call it) if you ship it to him send him a blank signed check. To me that is insane but he does most of his work that way, and he's honest. You will get what you pay for so "STAY AWAY FROM THE HACKERS AND UNPROVEN PEOPLE" out there. My money goes to this guy.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnGA View Post
Your question raises the concern I have with the X3d as well. I'm currently shopping and am committed to purchasing a diesel. Love, love, love my E46 wagon and am considering the 328d Touring BUT would love a few more cubic ft of space with the X3d OR the Q5 TDI. Have owned and loved that brand, too. X5 and Q7 just too big.

So, I'm waiting to test drive the X3d because I'm concerned that it will be underpowered. I was not overwhelmed by the 328d...okay, just not great. At least the Q5 has a 6-cyl and was "peppy".

Am I missing something here? Reluctant to place an order without a test drive first. Just wish theyd put the 335d engine in the X3 stateside. Have driven it often (family member has 335d and X5d). May jump ship and go Audi this time.

Appreciate any thoughts and observations. Thanks!
I own a 28d and test drove the 28i. You won't notice the lower acceleration unless I guess you actually run the car 0-60. Passing power is more than adequate, quiet and efficient. Real life mpg based on my first 250 miles is about 50% better than the 28i. Not sure why you wouldn't get the diesel frankly, unless you are really hung up on drag racing a family SUV.

By the way, I also test drove the 328d and was underwhelmed. But I think that's just this version of the 3 being pretty underwhelming.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:13 AM

You and I are going to be best friends in about 8 months when I order my new 28dSUV ...

wristshot0
Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wristshot0 View Post
I own a 28d and test drove the 28i. You won't notice the lower acceleration unless I guess you actually run the car 0-60. Passing power is more than adequate, quiet and efficient. Real life mpg based on my first 250 miles is about 50% better than the 28i. Not sure why you wouldn't get the diesel frankly, unless you are really hung up on drag racing a family SUV.

By the way, I also test drove the 328d and was underwhelmed. But I think that's just this version of the 3 being pretty underwhelming.

Went to view an X-Line yesterday.....and the only one they had was the 'D'....

Test drove it and loved it....SOLD. More power than I thought would be available from reading the reviews....and I said to the advisor....I'm not as young as I used to be where I wanted everything to 'rocket off of the line'....

Just as impressive as the 4Cyl.....with the benefit of fuel economy.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnGA View Post
Aha! Marketing. Should have known
It's worth noting that the 35i is a 3.0L, and the 28i is a 2.0L also. None of these things are named properly in the current models - it's just BMW trying to keep familiarity from the engines made in the last decade.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
I for one hope that the first X3 diesel in the US is going to sell well so that in a couple years there will be beefier diesel engines on the menu

2014 X3 xDrive28i
Old 05-12-2014, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfwbeemer View Post
I have a 2014 X35i and love it.

However I put a lot of miles on my car commuting and like the idea of a diesel.

I'm willing to put up with a slightly slower 0-60 time in the name of mpg, but BMW lists the 28d at 7.8 seconds. That is painfully slow, especially when in Europe the offer the 30d and 35d in the X3 that have 0-60 times of 5.9 and 5.3 seconds. Even the us spec X5 diesel is 6.9 seconds. I currently have a loaner 28i and that feels underpowered in highway passing power vs my 35i.

Am I the only one that feels spending $50-60k on an SUV that is only 7.8 off the line for a performance brand vehicle is a deal killer? Even while driving what I can find on the net says the 28d doesn't really have the highway passing power.
Do not compare your 35i to the 28d you will talk yourself out of buying it. Torque is the game, having not driven a x28d yet, but have driven 328d sedan and wagon I didn't find it lacking much driving around town, the low end toruqe really helps in stop and do traffic, also if you look at the weight of the X3 then it is impressive that a 180hp oil burner can move it that quick.

Again do not compare a 6 cyl to a 4 cyl oil burner the X5 makes 255hp and 417lbs of twist..

Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
I've driven the 20D in the UK. It's got decent performance in normal driving, really quite brisk. When I found was that if I asked a bit more of the engine for a real blast there was little left in reserve. Mostly it certainly felt quick enough.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaay! View Post

Test drove it and loved it....SOLD. More power than I thought would be available from reading the reviews....and I said to the advisor....I'm not as young as I used to be where I wanted everything to 'rocket off of the line'....

+1 - Completely agree. The whole horsepower inflation thing is getting out of hand and quite ridiculous. Congrats on a beautiful car with a fantastic engine.

What are the official EPA fuel economy numbers though....?

Past BMWs:
1983 320i
1987 325
1996 M3 (ED)
1998 M3 Cabrio (ED)
2002 530i (ED)

Current Cars:
2005 X3 (ED)
2006 Mini Cooper Cabrio
2006 Porsche 911 Cabrio
Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaay! View Post

report back on what kind of MPG you are getting with it, I'm sort of disappointed that it is not rated higher then 38 on highway..

Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
report back on what kind of MPG you are getting with it, I'm sort of disappointed that it is not rated higher then 38 on highway..
Well.....While I am 'sold'.....I will still have to order to get the one we want.....so nothing in hand yet.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaay! View Post
well.....while i am 'sold'.....i will still have to order to get the one we want.....so nothing in hand yet.
ok

Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X3 28D, X drive
I test drove diesel and 4 cylinder gas. Gas model is faster for sure, especially when accelerating at highway speeds. I still ended up buying a diesel and traded in my 2007 550. Had to pay about 3 thousand more for the 2015 diesel vs 2014 gas model with the same options. I am pretty sure that milage will be double comparing to my 550. The range on one tank should be close to double. So far after 70 miles I am getting 29.7 average without any driving on the highway. I am not trying to get a good milage at this point and drive it in sport mode or comfort mode most of the time.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:03 PM

Just finished my first tank of gas. All local roads, 32.1 mpg. I've also betrayed the break in period and gunned it a few times (need to pass trucks on one lane winding roads around me), so clearly I haven't been helping mileage too much. Still waiting for first highway trip, but even 32 is 50% better than the 28i on local roads. Will update as soon as I get out on the highway!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Just finished my first tank of gas. All local roads, 32.1 mpg. I've also betrayed the break in period and gunned it a few times (need to pass trucks on one lane winding roads around me), so clearly I haven't been helping mileage too much. Still waiting for first highway trip, but even 32 is 50% better than the 28i on local roads. Will update as soon as I get out on the highway!
Excellent news, so how much clatter is there inside the cabin?

Old 05-16-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
Excellent news, so how much clatter is there inside the cabin?
It varies, but not much clatter for the most part. I have a TDI VW as well and it is definitely quieter. Rarely do you get any vibration except sometimes when you first start the car, and while cruising it purrs at basically the same volume as the gas engines. I personally don't mind the slight rumble diesels have in the background at idle and low speeds very much.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
It varies, but not much clatter for the most part. I have a TDI VW as well and it is definitely quieter. Rarely do you get any vibration except sometimes when you first start the car, and while cruising it purrs at basically the same volume as the gas engines. I personally don't mind the slight rumble diesels have in the background at idle and low speeds very much.
Well when the N26 is cold is sounds like a oil burner.. Keep us posted on your MPG