Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: x3
engine break in

What is break in period and sequence for the 2 liter turbo 4 cylinder?
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2014, 05:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Stay below 5k rpm for the first 1500 miles.

2014 X3 xDrive28i
Old 05-16-2014, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: x3
Easy enough, thanks. What type of oil is in the car at delivery? Do you change this a few thousand miles into the break in?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: X3
My new 2014 X3 (4Cyl turbo) in 28i seems to see the engine warming up faster than the 2012 X3 (naturally aspirated)...not sure why...I am still in the first 200 miles on the new one...I had 11000 Miles on the previous one when it had to be totalled due to speed driving by an old gentleman who was at 65-70 on on a 45mph road and could not stop at the light in time. But the old one took a good 5 minutes before the needle started moving up...

But the new one starts moving within the first 2-3 minutes at normal speeds (<30 mph...even)...

any thoughts on this break in behavior ?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
I strongly suggest, at a minimum, follow the guidance in the manual, not what people like myself think.

That being said, I am very conservative even anal when it comes to breaking in a car. I usually insist a new car has less than 9 miles on the odometer when I take delivery to minimize the chances it was abused. By abused I mean more than gentle acceleration and light throttle application for the first 100 miles, and absolutely no full throttle for the first 1000 miles. Manufacturing tolerances are certainly orders of magnitude better than many years ago but, in my unchangable opinion, there still reasonably needs to be a break in period where the moving parts gently and comfortably become very intimate with one another; more intimate than even the best manufacturing process can provide.

With one exception, I never had a car that requires a quart of oil every 500 to 1000 miles, depending on how hard I drive it. The one car that does is a 2002 Z3 3.0i that had 53 miles on the odometer (it now has 147,000 and I still have it) when I bought it. The car was manufactured in May (the last month of Z3 production) and I bought it off the dealers lot at the end of October. It was briefly registered to someone else but I was never able to find out more details about that. I am sure the car was used as a demo and more than once I am sure the salesman told the potential buyer to "go ahead and see what it can do" just like a BMW South (Miami) salesman told me once when I test drove an new M3 with only 15 miles on it. Since this is the only car I ever had that burns oil, and it is also the only new car I ever had that I was not able to substantially control the break in period, it is hard not to come to a conclusion about the importance of breaking in a new car.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Follow RhoXS' advise.

I didn't though... within a few days of delivery I had done a few WOT and I didn't stick to any break-in procedure at all... I've had no problems at all and no oil consumption.

I figured if BMW runs the car up to 160km/h at the end of the assembly line the engine can surely survive with a little caning.

There are many, many articles about engine break-in on the interweb with a great number suggesting that, if you want the best piston ring to cylinder wall seal you need to varying engine speeds and loads.

Now doubt there is some way for BMW to know if the RPM are exceeded during the break-in so better safe than sorry.

Last edited by lbjgh; 05-16-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Follow RhoXS' advise.

I didn't though... within a few days of delivery I had done a few WOT and I didn't stick to any break-in procedure at all... I've had no problems at all and no oil consumption.

I figured if BMW runs the car up to 160km/h at the end of the assembly line the engine can surely survive with a little caning.

There are many, many articles about engine break-in on the interweb with a great number suggesting that, if you want the best piston ring to cylinder wall seal you need to varying engine speeds and loads.

Now doubt there is some way for BMW to know if the RPM are exceeded during the break-in so better safe than sorry.
In my opinion, abuse during the breakin period does not become apparent until much later in life. My Z3 initially used about a quart every 1500 miles or so and this gradually become shorter as the miles increased. It does not use much oil with light low speed driving but at a constant 80 mph interstate speed with aggressive acceleration from the on ramps the low level light comes on after about 250 miles. BTW, the oil has been religiously changed every 7500 miles or so even though the service lights would probably take it to 15,000 or more miles.

I know BMW runs up the engine at the last stop on the production line (I have seen them do it) but I dont know if the enginme is under any consequential load when they do that. I would not think running up the engine to high RPMs would be that stressful under very low load but it might be a real dynamometer that simulates actual road conditions including accelerating the mass of the car.

I completely agree varying speeds for the first 1000 miles is important and I believe that should include getting progressively more aggressive with throttle responses during that period.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
BMW runs the engine hard on the dyno at the factory to seat the rings, a lot of car manufacturers does the same thing at the end of their production line. I would suggest breaking in the car according to the BMW manual. For the first five hundred miles or so, keep the rpm below 50% of the red line and vary the rpm. After that, increase the rpm gradually, do not exceed 75% of the red line rpm and continue to vary the rpm as much as you can. At about 800 to a 1000 miles, you are all set. Also, for the first 200 miles or so, refrain from hard braking unless its an emergency of course. Slow braking will bed in the brake pads for better braking performance later on.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
There is no need for an engine break-in. Nor is there any need for an early oil change. The recommendations in the owners manual for break-in are for the benefit of the transmission and differentials. Brakes can can bedded properly in 10 minutes.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: x
I had several Audis that were oil burners, always breaking in per the manual. Finally my last Audi, I did the hard breakin, drove it like I stole it, rapid acceleration to very high rpms and then let the engine slow down on its own. I was told this pulls a vacuum that helps seal the rings. Never had any issue with oil burning ever. Not saying it's the right thing to do but it worked on my last car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app