Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Automotive Trade Polisher

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325CI
Miss when Accelerating

Hey Folks, I have searched through threads relating to misfires etc but none of them describe exactly what my 325CI 5spd is doing when accelerating. The car has 200,000klms on it. No Check Engine light. Idles and runs perfect in every way under normal driving conditions until I really get on the gas. As soon as I have to accelerate to pass or merge onto the highway the engine hesitates like it is missing. It's a little perplexing because it runs perfect in every way except for this hesitation under heavy acceleration ...any clues before I begin the quest to find this glitch? Thanks Guys.

Last edited by MY2004CI; 05-05-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
"VANOS stutter"....there`s plenty written about it right on this Forum....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Thanks Bob, I apologize for not getting on the VANOS thing yet... I'm new to BMW, and hadn't heard the word VANOS until ...well, just now. I'll try to learn as fast as I can!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY2004CI View Post
Thanks Bob, I apologize for not getting on the VANOS thing yet... I'm new to BMW, and hadn't heard the word VANOS until ...well, just now. I'll try to learn as fast as I can!
No sweat, there`s a lot to learn !

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
VANOS is the BMW acronym for variable valve timing. The original VANOS seals wear out at about 100k miles or so because BMW used seals made from "less than optimal" material.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Google "Beisan Systems." They sell replacement seals made of a superior (to the stuff BMW used) material. Also, they have the instructions used to replace the seals. It's a .pdf file.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
VANOS is the BMW acronym for variable valve timing. The original VANOS seals wear out at anywhere beyond 25,000 miles or so because BMW used seals made from "less than optimal" material.

Fify....

Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Thanks again guys, ...the kind post from Bob pointed me to the threads that have finally enlightened me as to the VANOS system. Not as scary as I thought when hearing that engine seals may be deteriorated in an engine management system that I'd never heard of. Thanks marcozandrini for the further lesson and suggesting Beisan. It's nice to have friends when you're lost.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
I've had this issue for some time also (lack of power) I'm glad I came across this thread. By any change would this also cause a loud engine noise (hesitation) when accelerating from a stop? Thanks gents!!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by avilausmc View Post
I've had this issue for some time also (lack of power) I'm glad I came across this thread. By any change would this also cause a loud engine noise (hesitation) when accelerating from a stop? Thanks gents!!
That sounds like something different....record a video of your noise, and post it here.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 AM

No noise from the engine at all, with my particular problem. I just can't get on the gas very hard or it bogs down. Drive it easy and you'd never know anything was wrong.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
No noise from the engine at all, with my particular problem. I just can't get on the gas very hard or it bogs down. Drive it easy and you'd never know anything was wrong.
This is one symptom of a failing Cam Position Sensor....there are several other possibilities. Have you had the codes scanned ? That would be the place to start.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Thanks Bob ...if I can ever get a free minute to get out of this shop the first thing I want to do is scan for codes, and go from there ...I'd like to start somewhere, as the car may be a beauty to look at but I know that it wasn't treated very well. Cheers
Old 05-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Thanks Bob ...if I can ever get a free minute to get out of this shop the first thing I want to do is scan for codes, and go from there ...I'd like to start somewhere, as the car may be a beauty to look at but I know that it wasn't treated very well. Cheers
E46s are wonderful cars when they`re working right

Like any beautiful, high-maintenance girlfriend, they generally need a fair amount of TLC to keep them happy

(Fortunately, they`re relatively easy to work on)

Old 05-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Miss when Accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
That sounds like something different....record a video of your noise, and post it here.

When accelerating from a stop it makes a noise similar to that of a semi truck (lol) and I notice some loss of power. I've read and read AND READ threads about this issue and there's no definitive answer.... Some have suggested the AUX fan, others the fan shroud... I've made the mistake before, of just throwing parts at the car hoping it would fix the issue... BUT not no moe! Lol..

The thread that brought up the VANOS seals got me thinking, I've looked into it and my car does have loss of power and VANOS rattle (when AC is turned on). So I've decided to replace the VANOS seals and even though I replaced the VCG not that long ago I'm going to also replace that just to make sure everything is new (I should have replaced the VANOS when doing the VCG but my knowledge was limited at that time).

Almost forgot, the car doesn't have any codes... (145k, 2000 328ci)

Last edited by avilausmc; 05-16-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by avilausmc View Post
When accelerating from a stop it makes a noise similar to that of a semi truck (lol) and I notice some loss of power. I've read and read AND READ threads about this issue and there's no definitive answer.... Some have suggested the AUX fan, others the fan shroud... I've made the mistake before, of just throwing parts at the car hoping it would fix the issue... BUT not no moe! Lol..

The thread that brought up the VANOS seals got me thinking, I've looked into it and my car does have loss of power and VANOS rattle (when AC is turned on). So I've decided to replace the VANOS seals and even though I replaced the VCG not that long ago I'm going to also replace that just to make sure everything is new (I should have replaced the VANOS when doing the VCG but my knowledge was limited at that time).

Almost forgot, the car doesn't have any codes... (145k, 2000 328ci)
That sounds like a plan. As long as you`ll be in there, you should also replace the CVV, and bang out the Trifecta (VCG, CVV, and VANOS) all at once....they`re all inter-related, so it`s a good idea to do the whole job, and you won`t have to worry about it again. Don`t forget to pull out the dipstick tube and clean the inside thoroughly !

A fresh set of plugs after all this will make it feel like a new engine.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:14 AM

Miss when Accelerating

Thanks for the heads up with the CVV, I'll check that out... I hope replacing these things fixes my loud engine vacuum noise/hesitation/loss of power ...