Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
What about HD radio? If I grab a euro NBT unit, I'd like to ensure HD radio and BMW assist will function. I know that I will need the dealer to update BMW's system with the new IMEI or something, but I wanted to make sure that hardware wise I would be set.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_andersson View Post
Any NBT unit can be installed in US cars as long as is coded correctly.
From my understanding, the NBT head unit cannot be coded directly when installed in the E9x chassis without some sort of bridge module (firmware updates) and a modification to the ODBII port to allow for ENET mode, both of which appear to be beyond the abilities or knowledge of most DIYers trying to cobble up together the components on his or her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
What about HD radio? If I grab a euro NBT unit, I'd like to ensure HD radio and BMW assist will function. I know that I will need the dealer to update BMW's system with the new IMEI or something, but I wanted to make sure that hardware wise I would be set.
I was told that BMW Assist is not currently functional in an NBT retrofit and the VO should "uncoded" in order to prevent SOS errors.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93
For HD radio you need NBT unit with built-in HD Radio (US version). BMW Assist will never work with retrofitted NBT in E series.

For coding, NBT ethernet port must be wired to OBD port as in any F series car or E series with CIC. If you retrofit NBT from factory installed CIC, ethernet wiring to OBD port is already there. If you retrofit from CCC you must add 4 wires between NBT's quadlock connector to OBD port. The pins in OBD port are empty in this case.

Coding is done using Esys software connected with ENET cable to OBD port.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 316d
Quote:
then code it manually, set camera type to TRSVC, enable macro for RVC and set RVC input to 41.
also make sure PDC is coded for rearview camera.
Ok. I tried this today.

But still not working.
When I set input to 41, I get error when coding NBT
Old 05-10-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
For coding, NBT ethernet port must be wired to OBD port as in any F series car or E series with CIC. If you retrofit NBT from factory installed CIC, ethernet wiring to OBD port is already there. If you retrofit from CCC you must add 4 wires between NBT's quadlock connector to OBD port. The pins in OBD port are empty in this case.

Coding is done using Esys software connected with ENET cable to OBD port.
Can you provide me a pin-out and/or wiring schematic for ENET/ODB/Fakra Quadlock (NBT)? I have a pre-LCI 2008; heck, it doesn't even have iDrive so I'm starting from the basic plain platform but have a complete double-scoop dash and various trim panels (HVAC relocation, CIC control panel and trim) for the NBT retrofit.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:18 AM

This is CIC ethernet port wiring, is same for NBT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OBD-socket-CIC-eth.png
Views:	250
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	438696  
Old 05-12-2014, 08:46 AM

Question

Quote:
This is CIC ethernet port wiring, is same for NBT.
Thanks for this.

Can you tell me which socket housing on the back of the Quadlock connector corresponds to the ENET pins, using the labels from this illustration (A 12-pin, B 12-pin, 16-pin, or 8-pin; I know the 2-pin A/B sockets are for MOST)?

I don't have access to the back of a head unit so I don't know which are pins 29-32, 37, and 38.

Also, do you know the location (and an illustration would be helpful) of connector X14415? It doesn't appear to be present on the wiring schematics of my CCC-era 2008 and I don't have a functioning ISTA-D install or other resource (I have Rheingold ISTA but cant figure out how to get to specific wiring diagrams as it only shows a small handful of ones that I don't need) to lookup this connector (perhaps it's the socket housing that I'm inquiring above?).

Last edited by Augster; 05-12-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 AM

Here is the NBT connector.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NBT-connector-assy.pdf (50.8 KB, 262 views)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Here is the NBT connector.
Perfect!

But where does the second connector included in the PDF go to? It shows only video/DVD inputs and the pins described don't match up with the X14415 connector.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Its for RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) cars. Not all NBT headunits have that connector. Only units which require more then 2 video inputs.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:18 PM

Question

Another question on the Quadlock:

Pins 1-8 appear to be speaker connections (but I don't see the center speaker); is this correct? I have Logic 7 on my 2008 and these pins are not used (there is no plug installed in that slot; just the center, pins 9-16). I finally took the time to remove my Professional radio to inspect the Quadlock configuration in my vehicle. So if they are indeed for car speaker system, do you happen to have wiring schematic to adapt the NBT head unit to my existing pre-LCI Logic 7?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:52 AM

If you have logic7, you have an amp in the trunk and sound is reaching it from head-unit via fiber optic bus (MOST bus). Headunit speaker output is only for standard sound system. You dont need any modifications on the sound output side.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: E61 530dAT
Since the combox is not used any more, will I need to pull cables from the combox to the NBT unit? Antenna cables for bluetooth etc.?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Just microphone, bluetooth antenna and usb port. Its easy to install new wires for bt antenna and mic.

Last edited by neo_andersson; 05-17-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: F10 04/2012
Quote:
NBT navigation retrofit in all BMW E9x is ready.
Integration is quite easy and requires basic coding skills with esys.
All car functions are fully functional in NBT, including CBS data, Check Control Messages.
There are no limitations in functionality except for E Series cars with HUD where navigation info can not displayed on HUD.
Also, touch controller is fully functional.
I will post later a full DYI but here are some pictures during installs in E71 and E60.

Hi,

where can i buy an Emulator for nbt retrofit on an F10 produced 04/2012?

Tanks
Sahin
Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: M3 e92
Hi new here :-), I was just wondering about this NBT upgrade for an M3 e92, are the M settings accessable at all?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 AM

Of course, all settings are available in NBT retrofit for E series.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: E61 LCI
Quote:
Yes, the emulator is available.

To install NBT in any E Series you need the following parts:
- NBT-HU from F30;
- NBT CID from F30 or F25;
- Touch Controller;
- Touch ECU;
- NBT Video Cable;
- USB/Aux Port for armrest;
- USB cable
- Faceplate for CIC according to your vehicle (frontpanel buttons); (if car has CIC the actual one can be reused)
- Monitor trim according to your vehicle; (if car has professional navigation CIC or CCC the actual one can be reused)

If car has CCC the following parts are also required:
- Dash trim for CIC headunit according to your vehicle;
- Console trim for CIC controller according to your vehicle;

Combox is not required anymore in NBT setup as NBT has built-in combox. NBT has 2 USB ports which will allow usb/ipod playback including VIDEO from USB, has built-in bluetooth for phone and music streaming. If car has bluetooth of any kinf (TCU/MULF/Combox) this must be removed. Microphone and BT aerial must be connected directly to NBT head-unit.
Hello, I'm new here and very astonished about the amount of information provided in this thread. I would like to ask, if you could confirm, that installing NBT to Ex series requires neccessarily the F30 head unit, since most of them offered online are referring to F21, F25, F30 etc.
Is it because of the touch controller and the connector that only F30 HU will work properly as retrofit for Ex series. Could someone provide the BMW P/N as well?

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Hi, any NBT unit can be installed, the monitor must be from F30 or F25 if you want to fit in the e monitor trim.
Touch controller will work with any nbt as long is updated to ilevel above 51. I recommend above 52.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:59 AM

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
Quote:
The Touch ECU is not in the pictures. This unit does handwriting recognition. Controller works without it but will not detect your finger writing. In the center console there is plenty of room for it as its very small in size. Like a matchbox. For our installations we always purchase this ECU new from BMW. Price is about 80 euro. Be aware that there are many versions available for different regions, you will need the US/ECE version which works with latin alphabet. There are versions for china, japan, korea, arab coutries, etc.
neo_andersson
Can you post the pinout for the ECU ?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 AM

Its same as idrive controller.
1 - 12 v
2 - gnd
3 - can low
4 - can high
Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
No, i mean PDC module.

The pins you used are not correct for NBT.
Here is the correct NBT pinout.
This is the complet pinout to retrofit the NBT in a E model ?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: E61 LCI
Quote:
Just microphone, bluetooth antenna and usb port. Its easy to install new wires for bt antenna and mic.
Hello again,

Since you are telling that rewiring the bt antenna as well as the microphone output could you tell me where those are located? As I know the bt antenna is located in the trunk.
Could you tell me where the wiring is feeding through currently and which way should be used for rewiring?

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM

BT aerial is not in the trunk. Is on the lower dash trim on driver's side above the pedals. You will need a standard 1 meter fakra to fakra aerial wire to run from back of nbt to the lower under dash trim on driver's side. Microphone wire goes up to the roof console on the left A pillar. You need to remove the trim to install it. New mic wire must have about 3 meters in lenght with mqs pins at both ends.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:23 PM

What about the DAB antenna cable and the phone antenna cable ?
I hope that the dealer can find it in the ETK from the F12 model, but they couldnīt last time i was there.
I might call another dealer to sort it out tomorrow.
As i can see, there are 2 cables for the DAB ( Curry and Green ).
I didnīt have DAB in my car before, so i need new wires for it.
I have the original antennas in my trunk lid, for phone and DAB in my E63.