Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
The 15% is a general rule of thumb not an absolute. The companies can pretty much rate the engines any way the want within some overall regulatory guidelines. Some will be underrated, typically the Europeans. Might be a ECM thing. The N54/N55's were all rated @ 300bhp. The original N54 was underrated & the next version just about dead on @15%. The N55 was initially over rated but is closer now, with the bigger turbo flanges & some other imnprovements.

So here you have 4 versions of the same basic engine with an BMW advertised 300bhp rating all generating different numbers on back to back tests on the same machine. Think Automobile Magazine ran the tests. The IS is underrated & so on. The old PPK was rated at 320BHP the 335IS at 320BHP but the IS was stronger. The new MPPK is rated at 335BHP (342BHP with the MPE) but I have not seen any dynos for it.

But to answer your question specifically on the Coyote. Its a Ford racing engine product & there is a sealed version of it available for specific racing classes. I would be shocked, simply shocked, if Ford actually rated these engines at there real output potential using normal parameters.
So it's all guess work, based on assumptions. I'll agree.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I think that the dealer should have their 501C3 status immediately revoked,

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 05-17-2014, 08:12 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Your entire first paragraph shows a complete lack of understanding of the way parts are distributed. There are three profit centers in any dealership; vehicle sales, service dep't sales and parts dep't sales. Although both under one roof, the parts dep't 'sells' parts to the service dep't. The service dep't then is free (within the constraints of the law and competition) to sell them for whatever it can get.
This part here is where I have issue. Parts department and service department selling to each other. It's the same company, same owner. Separating it by an EIN number (if they even do that) is not a valid reason to markup.
Now obviously they can markup however they want. My issue is how they broke it down. They invalidated one discount by saying another, bigger discount is available. And that is fine, many places don't allow combination of discounts...except they invalidated their discount by saying someone had to pick the pat from the parts dept. That's just basically saying they are not giving any kind of discount.

I imagine the CCA discount is something that CCA reimburses to BMW, or there is some contract going on (no way they dealerships are giving 15% off just cause someone subscribes to a magazine)...I'm willing to bet that dealership still submitted and got reimbursement

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
So it's all guess work, based on assumptions. I'll agree.
Not really. BMW knows exactly how much power the cars produce, they just don't share well. DynoJet to DynoJet comparisons are very good for consistency across product lines.

Quarter mile runs will provide info on how much horsepower is actually being generated so the easiest thing is to go with dyno/1/4 mile speeds & forgetabout what the manufactures marketing departments are saying the car has because they lie. Its also one of the reasons that Dinan cars do so poorly at the drags, they just do not make the claimed power.

Remember in the muscle car days the manufactures were caught lending ringers to the magazines for testing. One of the really big ones was the C&D Ferrari GTO/Pontiac GTO comparison test. This was one of the biggest selling issues of C&D. DeLorean gave them a Pontiac ringer with a 421ci HO engine replacing the 389ci stock engine.

No way to visually tell the displacement because both engines are identical externally. Used to race a 66 GTO so am familiar with the car & the story. Mine was a semi-ringer Royal Bobcat.

Side Note:

THE ONLY FACTORY 421-EQUIPPED GTO KNOWN TO EXIST

"The Ringer GTO," as many have called it, is one of the most important cars produced by an American car company and will be featured during the entire weekend at the GM Nationals. -

See more at: http://www.carlisleevents.com/carlis....vVZ5vPR7.dpuf

Car & Driver tested the Dinan Stg 3 +:

The car tested here goes a little further. Outfitted in "Stage 3" trim, the S3 335i has an oil cooler that is twice as large as standard, a bigger intercooler, a better-breathing carbon-fiber intake, and a freer-flowing exhaust that allows for 1 additional psi of boost versus the 384-hp setup (14 psi total versus 8.8 psi stock). The result is 408 horsepower and a bombastic 440 pound-feet of torque. But it doesn't come cheap: The aforementioned mods total $8895.

Not surprisingly, throttle tip-in is jumpy as the newfound torque introduces itself. The engine is crazy responsive from 3000 rpm but starts to run out of steam between 6000 rpm and the 7000-rpm redline-the boost tapers off in order to keep the turbos comfortably below their 230,000-rpm limit. And for a turbocharged engine, it still sounds remarkably raspy.

At 4.4 seconds to 60 mph and 13.0 through the quarter-mile, the S3 335i is about a half-second quicker than a stock 335i in both regards and nearly matches the last manual M3 we tested.

Couple of interesting points.

1. C&D just repeats back the power/torque numbers Dinan gave them. They never verified them.

2. The 408hp Dinan car ran 13.0. A pure stock 335is 320hp, BMW's number, runs 13.1 in the quarter mile.

3. The stock 335is also runs 14psi max boost like the $8900 Dinan system.

4. I made a similar run a year or so back with IIRC 370whp for 12.5/114mph with a $505 JB4 which would equate to 425hp.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 05-17-2014 at 09:36 PM.