Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 530i
Please help me with this e46 325Ci drive shaft vibration

Car: 2004 325ci coupe RWD auto 182k miles

Problem: drive shaft vibrates / shudders shaking center console at 20 to 30mph while accelerating. Doesn't constantly do this. Just when accelerating between 2/3 gear at about 20 25 30 mph

Already changed: guibo, center support bearing, trans mounts, driver side cv axle rear, rear differential bushing, all four brake rotors.

I checked the U-joints on the drive shaft they are smooth not notchy and not hard to move. Also the halves of drive shaft are lined up to factory white dot markings

Can someone please point me in the right direction to get this annoying issue fixed?

I love BMW i own 4 right now. but words can not explain the frustration this is starting to give me. Money work and more work and money all equals problem not fixed.

Please help me and others in the future with this extremely annoying and confusing problem Thanks a lot
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Giubos can be installed "the right way", and also "the wrong way". It usually has a small arrow cast or stamped on the side to point which way the bolts should be inserted.

Are you sure yours got the correct orientation ?

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Hey fast bob thanks for reply. The guibo was installed with all 6 bolts in one direction head of bolt on rear of car and nut on the front side. I saw a BMW repair manual drawing with it installed this way but the diagram on www.realoem.com suggests installing them in different directions. What is the correct way of installing this guibo? And would the orientation of the bolts cause this mess?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by wielandgeorg View Post
Hey fast bob thanks for reply. The guibo was installed with all 6 bolts in one direction head of bolt on rear of car and nut on the front side. I saw a BMW repair manual drawing with it installed this way but the diagram on www.realoem.com suggests installing them in different directions. What is the correct way of installing this guibo? And would the orientation of the bolts cause this mess?
AFAIK, giubos are definitely "directional", and bolt torque is critical to their survival.

Also, at least one of the aftermarket companies producing them put out ones made of polyurethane, which had a horrible reputation. Let`s hope you didn`t get one of those....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Fast Bob I got a $190 factory genuine BMW guibo so that's not the issue either. But the directional / bolt thing makes sense. Does anybody know the exact details of how to install this little bastard?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Gosh I've posted on 4 websites no one has replied but you bob. With so many e46's you'd expect more help out there
Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech.../E36-Guibo.htm

Hope this helps.

BTW, make sure your new transmission mounts are not pushing up on the tranny at all. You see, if you did not change the motor mounts they are mashed about .250" by now. This causes the engine to lower and place undue stress on the transmission mounts, hence preloading the bell housing and then causing the flywheel to shudder- which is your crankshafts balance for all intent and purposes.

With new motor mounts, new transmission mounts basically slide right in between the tranny and the brace and are only designed to take torsional loads, and not support anything at all- no weight is placed on them, therefore no upward pressure at all is exerted on the tranny and then transmitted to the bell housing etc....been there- sounds just like an issue I had, was about to sell the car.

Moral of the story...don't change your transmission mounts unless u are also changing your motor mounts....but, having said all that, not marking the transmission output flange and the driveshaft to clearly indicate which flanges connect to each other when you reassemble the guibo will do it too, and as BOB said, If you look closely at Figure 14, you will see that the flex disc has an arrow that is cast into the side of the rubber disc. This arrow points towards where the flanges are to be mounted. In other words, the transmission or driveshaft flange will mate against the surface shown with the yellow arrow. The rule of thumb is that the arrow shows which way the mounting bolts are pushed through the flex disc.

Also, make sure you pushed your carrier bearing forward, about .5", during torque/mounting, as specified.

Last edited by QAfred; 05-11-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 PM

I understand and that makes sense but my vibrations undoubtly are driveshaft and not transmission or flywheel.

Perhaps the transmission output nose sits too high due to worn motor mounts causing undue stress on driveshaft and hence a vibration?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAfred View Post

Also, make sure you pushed your carrier bearing forward, about .5", during torque/mounting, as specified.
This is what I was thinking.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
did you ever fix this? I'm in the same situation and was wondering if you ever figured it out,
i know this post is old but if you could get back to me that would be awesome x)
Old 05-16-2014, 09:35 AM

Yes I figured it out, while laying under car and paying close attention with my brother driving it up in the air i noticed a rough sound coming from the differential and also one of the output shafts on diff going to the wheels was wobbling up and down very slightly.

That's when I decided to buy a used low mileage differential / carrier assembly for it from a local salvage yard

After I replaced it all my issues went away.

To sum it up in my opinion what was happening gear fluid was probably never changed by the previous care less owner causing the differential to become hard to turn but not by hand but only at a higher speed like 20mph and at that point when that happened caused the driveshaft to wobble because of added stress from a shot diff.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Thanks for the fast reply

Just finished my transmission mounts I was putting all my faith that they were the issue : /
I'm so happy I read your comment before I started I checked it out and yeah I could see something suspicious on my driver side next to the diff. How much did you spend for your fix?