Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-16-2014, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: A hunk of Junk
New To The Game - Is It Too Late?

The story has been told 1,000,000 times. I want to learn to drift. More importantly I want to compete in formula drift. I know the idea sounds crazy since I am 20 and have only even tried to drift about 3 times. I work a full time job and am saving up for a car. I want to build a e46 because i know that they are powerful and trustworthy. My questions are how easy would it be to learn to drift in one of these cars? What kind of motor would be an ideal drift swap? Any specific suspension setup? And I'm well aware that this is not an easy or cheap task but I'm well prepared to put forth the commitment to it. So... Thoughts? Suggestions?
Ads by Google
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
if you want to start drifting i highly suggest you get a e30 shell and build one from there.

e46 are quite a bit heavy and can cost heck load of money to build a decent racecar.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: A hunk of Junk
That's true. What would be a good engine to put into one of those because I know that the stock motor will probably not push out what I need
Old 05-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Don`t waste your time or money on a BMW....go get yourself an older (Fox-body maybe) 5-liter Mustang. It is FAR better suited to the kind of abuse that drifting will inflict upon it.

As far as E46s being "powerful" and "reliable", well..........

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
E46 could be fun in drifting also. If find someV12 engine from 7-series and make it work... that monster torque would make fun.
But then you should truly like working in garage more than racing on track, because you will spend most of your time in garage.

Maybe i would go with 3rd Gen. Camaro for drifting. Loads of aftermarket parts are available out there.

Last edited by lgr122; 05-17-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerottie View Post
The story has been told 1,000,000 times. I want to learn to drift. More importantly I want to compete in formula drift. I know the idea sounds crazy since I am 20 and have only even tried to drift about 3 times. I work a full time job and am saving up for a car. I want to build a e46 because i know that they are powerful and trustworthy. My questions are how easy would it be to learn to drift in one of these cars? What kind of motor would be an ideal drift swap? Any specific suspension setup? And I'm well aware that this is not an easy or cheap task but I'm well prepared to put forth the commitment to it. So... Thoughts? Suggestions?
No.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci 6 Spd, 07 335Cic
e46's can drift, i know. but, if you are going to do it, NEVER do it on the public roads, empty parking lots or actual events

oh, yeah, and two words: OPEN, DIFF. if you can get something with an LSD, do it
Old 05-17-2014, 08:01 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
One more time:
A perfect 50/50 weight distribution, lack of LSD, low power-to-weight ratio, engines that cannot be easily modified to produce more power....

These are all attributes of the E46, and all of them work against the type of setup needed for an effective drift car. The E46 is a poor choice for this task....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
I think a 240sx is a better choice

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-17-2014, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325ci
It's never too late to learn, but to get to the level of formula drift drivers is going to take a lot of time, practice, and tires. I'm by no means a pro level drifter, but I've done my share of it. A BMW would be a poor choice, like above I would strongly recommend a pre 05 Mustang or maybe a 240SX. Mustangs are easy to make the power needed, parts are cheap and easy to find, they take the abuse well, and they are predictable when you kick the back out. Its not as easy as it looks, but it is a ton of fun. If you pick the right car to start with you can get rolling for a small investment. On a Mustang all you'd really need are subframe connectors, gears, a halfway decent diff, and a little more power than stock. Swapping out the rear control arms will make it more predictable and stable, and they are dirt cheap these days.

DO NOT TRY TO LEARN ON THE STREET. You need a lot of open space and no chance of going to jail. You will spin out, slide, and break things along the way no matter how good a driver you are; if you try to learn on the street you'll be lucky if you end up in jail, if you're not lucky you'll get yourself or worse, someone else killed. A lot of drag strips have a road course or autocross area as well and offer drifting events for amateurs, this is a great way to get started, there will be others around with experience that can speed up the learning process, help with parts and repairs, etc. Its a lot of fun, but it is not cheap to learn, even if all goes well you're gonna burn through tires like John Force does. Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
first things first, u can't learn to drift on ur own, u need proper tutoring or some vid u can follow. as for where to practice, u'r on ur own there
second, forget about BMW as ur drifting machine, go with a 350Z or some old V8 muscle car, these cars have very high torque output (which is what u need). 240SX doesn't have that immediate response u want, specially for a new learner
good luck

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime