Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: e46 m3
What's to know ?

Avoid smg. Watch for vanos and subframe issues.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: e39 525i
how reliable is the engine? issues outside of cooling?
Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M3
Electric fire on M3

I was really bummed by BMW's response to me that we will never be able to prevent fires occurring in cars. They offered my deductible ($500) and a reduction on a new BMW. Very disappointed.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
Help... looking to buy my first M3

Considering my first M3...

Private party seller. 2002 Convertible with 82k miles. Looks great. Sapphire black with cinnamon interior. It's an SMG, which I'm 50/50 on as the reviews are pretty mixed. It's stock with exception of air intake and navi system (which is not hooked up). Haven't had a reply to my questions about service history, carfax etc just yet.

Car has a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor.
It's been listed for quite a few months now (on and off) and I can't tell if it's a reluctant seller who doesn't want to part with a car he really likes.. or if something is up with the car that is delaying the sale, other than the TPS that is. I've been tracking this listing for a while, and the TPS wasn't mentioned at all until recently.. yet the milage hasn't increased on the listing. Maybe he forgot to change it, or maybe he's trying to pass off a bad SMG with a sensor issue...?

I'm thinking it's a SMG issue. Either way, I can't really test drive or have a certified BMW mechanic run a diagnostic or inspection on the car until the sensor issue is resolved. From what I can find throughout the forum, it looks like the 2002 M3 SMG has two TPS, one is on the front and is a simple fix, the second is buried deep under the manifold.. which I don't plan on doing myself. It's possible that it could also be a gas pedal which has gone out (seems to happen on the SMG model quite often), or it could be a wiring harness! Ughhh.

My heart says go for it and get the best price possible. The head is telling me that something is not right. I don't mind spending on the sensor repair.. but how can I rule everything else out? Is it possible to run a diagnostics to get feedback on transmission and engine, and emissions... what can a certified BMW shop determine from doing a pre-purchase inspection and test? I know a regular OBDII scanner won't give me what I need. I need a proper diagnostic test, which I'm willing to pay to have done. What has been your experience with troubleshooting and identifying potential issues? When you guys bought used M3's, what did you really know and what steps did you take to do your research? What is the best option for me, how should I proceed with this one? I'm certain they will need the sensor issue fixed before they can determine what else is showing... right? I'm somewhat hopeful that they can determine all current issues with the car through an inspection and diagnostic test... would any SMG issues show up during a diagnostic test, or would they need to do a test drive? Clearly they can't test drive it with a bad sensor that sends the car into limp mode.

Best case... I get him down to $9k, and spend $300 or so on the sensor part and labor (does that even sound about right?) for the #2 sensor or gas pedal repair/replacement. Still walking away with a good deal and a nice sharp ride.

Worst case... I get him down to $9k, fix the sensor issue and find out it's the SMG. What would I be looking at... besides the worst Christmas of my life!

I need some feedback guys, from the M3 vets and the newbies who may have faced the same situation when considering a first M3.

Apologies if the questions are redundant, I realize the vets have seen and heard it all before. I posted with the hope of getting feedback from both vets and newbies! First post, rest will be shorter. I promise. Be kind!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 964 e430 Denali XL
If it was me I'd pay for a tow to a good independent and get a pre purchase done!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
Apparently he's had the TPS repaired.

Still no Vin. Seems to be put off with my questions. Maybe I'm just asking the right ones! I hope to meet and view the car this weekend or early next week. I have the cash. $10k for a 2002 convertible with just 82k. Seems like a decent price, even if I discover a few smaller issues. Main concern is codes that might have been cleared recently and the SMG transmission.

Should be driving fine if he's had it fixed so getting it in for a pre purchase should be easy enough.

Thanks!