Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 06-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 528E
BMW 528E Cranks and turns over but will not run.

Hello guys,
I have a 1988 BMW 528E that is experiencing starting problems
Here is a little background to the problem, I was driving on a country road a few days ago and hit a pothole a little to fast. The car bottomed out and the underside oilpan hit a rock in the road. The engine quit and the car coasted to a stop. I got out and saw that a steady stream of oil was leaking out of the oil pan. upon getting towing the vehicle home I saw that the rock in the road had hit the oil pan plug port and had cracked it. I removed the oil pan and got the crack welded. Now I have it all put back together with brand new oil and it still won't start. The engine cranks and turnover but won't run. Is there something that could of come apart when I scraped the rock that caused the oil pan leak?
Just looking for ideas as to what I should do now.
Thanks for your help!
~Nathan
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2014, 06:03 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by obliqueridge View Post
Hello guys,
I have a 1988 BMW 528E that is experiencing starting problems
Here is a little background to the problem, I was driving on a country road a few days ago and hit a pothole a little to fast. The car bottomed out and the underside oilpan hit a rock in the road. The engine quit and the car coasted to a stop. I got out and saw that a steady stream of oil was leaking out of the oil pan. upon getting towing the vehicle home I saw that the rock in the road had hit the oil pan plug port and had cracked it. I removed the oil pan and got the crack welded. Now I have it all put back together with brand new oil and it still won't start. The engine cranks and turnover but won't run. Is there something that could of come apart when I scraped the rock that caused the oil pan leak?
Just looking for ideas as to what I should do now.
Thanks for your help!
~Nathan
Maybe the crank position sensor? Alot of things could have loosened up. Have you checked for spark? Fuel? Maybe you damaged the underside fuel pump or connections to it or the fuel line?