Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I6 VANOS recall

As you may have read, some VINS and vehicles built from 2010 to 2013, as reported by the DOT, are in the process of being recalled to replace some bolts on the VANOS system. BMW does not have the info, nor identified the affected VINS, or at least not let that info out to the dealers yet (you'll need to wait for your letter from BMW). I happened to be at the dealer's today to ask a question, and I asked about this. IF your vehicle is involved, it will take most of a day to perform the work, so watch your mailbox for your letter, and don't wait around, as it may take awhile to get through all of the vehicles involved. One source said that BMW will be extending the warranty for those involved, at least on things related to this. That's all I know about right now.

FYI, if you go to the US Gov's DOT website, you can register a vehicle, and they'll e-mail you info when any action is initiated on your model. I got an e-mail from them on this a few days ago, about when it hit some of the media.
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Thanks for that info. Mine failed in December...out of warranty...and to make a long story short the repairs were $5,000.

The shop I used replaced the fragile aluminum ones with the new sturdier type, but I wonder if I'm entitled to any recourse, since it was obviously cases like mine that caused the recall.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Once the owners start to get their recall letters, that will probably be discussed. It may or may not depend on whether the fix was done at an authorized BMW dealer verses some other location. I have no info on that at all...something that may be included. Some recalls go out to all affected vehicles, whether they are still in warranty or not, and it will discuss the details. Since this, apparently is safety related, should it fail, yours may be covered.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:58 PM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Got my recall notice in the mail Saturday.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
The recall has crossed the border to Canada as I received my notice today. (when it first broke in the preas I asked my dealer about it and was told there was no recall for this issue in canada).

Unfortunately the letter indicates that there are no parts so I couldn't make an appointment if I wanted to. They will 'call us', we can't 'call them'. Instead there are six steps in the letter in bold type of what to do if a number of different symptoms occur including if the engine shuts itself off. There must be some BMW lawyers (and senior execs) hoping that nothing serious happens as a result of this recall.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile appo