Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi GT 2012
Question Tire crisis

Hi all,
I am in over my head with this car... (2012 535xi GT). I inherited the car from my ex and I like it but I don't have sufficient bandwidth to become an expert, and generally I have not been looking after car matters in the past.
I've now had 2 of the Goodyear Eagle tires split at the inside sidewall, in separate incidents. I should have replaced all 4 tires when this happened several months ago but didn't realize at the time. Now I have it sitting in the driveway with a failed rear tire.

Despite having one almost new tire, I will replace them all. I need all weather tires for winters here in VA. I hesitate to use the runflats again since they seem less than durable (+ expensive) and the incidents I've had, the runflat was minimally helpful but I'm not crazy about relying on that. I do have AAA to tow me if needed. But these tires are not off-the-shelf so getting a repair or replacement tire is not easy especially on Sunday!

I'm not worried about super high performance, more about economy. The car generally has plenty of performance for me. I have to rent a car til I can order and get new tires. Any advice on which tires will be durable, economical and not so rare that I can get them soon? Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Clarification

And what is the issue with replacing runflats with non runflats (besides having to worry about a spare)?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
The car doesn't come with a jack, tire tools, or a place to store a spare, so, while some punctures can be (temporarily, usually) sealed with a can of goop, that also may incur extra costs, both when the tire is repaired, and it might also plug up the TPMS, and those cost about $150, if you get it from a BMW dealer. So, should you have a flat, #1, you can't keep going or you'll ruin not only the tire but the wheel, #2, may or may not seal it with available sealants, #3 will either have to cart around a spare and the extra tools, or at least the 'mobility kit', or rely on someone like AAA to come tow you somewhere.

At least with a run-flat, you can still drive the vehicle for a bit. Note, some places, it's illegal to stop, like in some tunnels or bridges...you have to keep going to the nearest turnout point, and if you don't, the fines will likely exceed the cost of the tire and wheel you may ruin if you don't have a RFT.

SO, it's entirely your call...you have to weigh the pros and cons of what you are using. Not all RFT are created equal, either. Reports of the newest Bridgestone say it is very hard to distinguish the RFT version from the 'normal' version on the car.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:36 AM

Red face Size question

Thank you.
I have another question as I research this -- all 4 of my tires are size 245/45R19.
I have seen that the Original OEM tires for my car ((with sport package) were supposed to be different front vs back. The back were listed as 275/40R19.
Should I be concerned about this? Could this different rear size tire be mounted on my rims?
I assume the wider rear tire is for performance. Is that right ? Will it affect durability ?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:48 PM

There are sometimes differences in standard tires based on whether the vehicle is rear-drive or x-drive...what you have may be normal.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:48 PM

This shows the runflat failure on the rear inside edge. Is this a normal failure mode for runflat tires?
Or is this the result of driving 5 miles after the low tire pressure warning?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:51 PM

That sort of looks like a ply separation, and likely would be covered by the Goodyear warranty, either giving you new tire(s) or a decent portion of their cost based on the mileage, age, and maybe tread depth. It seems the dealers dont' want to deal with talking to Goodyear, but if you take it to one of the Goodyear shops, you may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:46 PM

Thanks, I will check with them.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Tire crisis

In addition to jad's excellent advice, could you give an indication of the mileage that is on the vehicle. The picture you presented looks to be premature failure and if that is an original tire it is really worn though the ply separation suggestion would appear to be most plausible.

The mixd tire sizes you cited are the specified tires for the 550 GT with the larger 400 HP engine while the stock size for the 535 GT is
245/50R-18 for all for wheels. I don't see why you can't use the the 245/45-19s for all four of yours if you need to replace them all bt do as jad suggestd and go to a Tire dealer and see what they can do under an GY warranty.

Good luck .

Sent from BimmerApp mobile

Last edited by Fish23; 06-16-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
I can't speak to the 2012 but the 2014 M-sport model of the GT has wider tires in the rear. At least the rear wheel drive anyway.

I remember reading about premature tire failures in the early years of the GT
Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 PM
GT 4 Me!

Mein Auto: 535x GT; Volt, Miata
If it's XDrive, then there should not have been a section-width different front to back on either 535 or 550. That said, wheels get swapped around sometimes. I'd check the wheel width on a front and back before I'd mount new tires for sure. If they are staggered, the rears need the wider tire. If they're not, then all tires should be the same.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Thanks all, the car has 49,000 miles, so I guess it was time for the tire replacement anyway. Being stranded has been an issue, so rather than paying for a rental car (it was going to take 10 days to get Bridgestone Potenza) I was able to get a set of Michelin Primacy tires through tirerack.com delivered overnight. Wow, they were fast! The 245/45R19 are correct to replace the current set. Makes sense with the Xdrive. I'll keep one spare for emergencies in the garage, since that tire was only used a few months. The photo I posted was the one fom a few months ago. The tire that failed now had the same failure but had very little tread left. So I missed the chance to claim warranty coverage, but I will know better next time. Thank you for all the guidance. It is really helpful to have experienced owners weigh in...
Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
If you got 49k miles on that set of tires, that's unreal. 30k would be pushing it on the Goodyears.

As an aside, developing a good relationship with a local tire shop is one of the best things I've done in a while. I've had one road failure (thank goodness for the RFTs) and several screws and nails. One email and my new tire is in the next day.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:56 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
49k is truly impressive. We replaced our original RFT tires at 20k with ~ 3mm wear remaining and the inner part of the tire was showing the cords. Your failure makes more sense now due to the mileage as BMW definitely sets the camber inward which causes this wear pattern...

I was under the impression that staggered wheel size was when the car was purchased with the 20" wheel option. No need to over think the tire size, replace like with like.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
If it sounds too good to be true..and I think our guys here will back me up on this..it is too good to be true. I have had two sets of Goodyear LS2's and they make it to 30,000 miles and some change. If there is a run flat out there that goes to 50,000 miles we would love to know about it.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550GT
To me this is weird, there is so much tread left on the center. Camber may be off dramatically and it was riding on the edge or very under inflated for a while. Really weird wear pattern for 49k. I get about 25k per set.