Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
Post BMW i8 deliveries start in June 2014! Get ready for the future.

BMW i8 deliveries start in June 2015

With the completion of the development work and final preparations for production at the BMW Group plant in Leipzig, the launch of the BMW i8 approaches its peak. Delivery of the first customer cars will start in June 2014, beginning with the main European markets.
Beforehand, special public events will be held in various regions all over the world to meet the enormous interest in the BMW i8. For this purpose BMW i agents will be equipped with separate demonstration vehicles. The start of series production of customer vehicles will commence in April. Customers have already been able to place pre-orders for the BMW i8 in all major markets since autumn 2013.

However, demand for the BMW i8 is already exceeding the planned production volume during ramp-up.

Further improvements to the BMW i8 specifications

In parallel to the completion of the statutory type approval the BMW engineers were also able to achieve a further improvement of key driving performance and fuel consumption data. Thanks to its novel powertrain concept BMW eDrive in plug-in hybrid configuration, the i8 combines a 0100 km/h (62 mph) sprint time of 4.4 seconds with an EU test cycle average fuel consumption of 2.1 litres/100 km (134.5 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of 49 g/km. The related electricity consumption was measured at 11.9 kWh per 100 km .

Every-day fuel economy substantially better than all conventional sports car concepts

Although the results achieved in the EU test cycle allow for quick comparisons with other vehicles and despite their relevance for a favorable taxation in many countries, the BMW i8 engineers hat a particular focus on low fuel consumption in real life. As a result the BMW i8 shows extraordinary efficiency not only in standardized testing procedures, but also in the practice of everyday traffic:

In typical everyday commuting, with the battery fully charged at the beginning, the BMW i8 can return a fuel consumption below 5 litres/100 km (more than 56 mpg imp) around town. If the commute includes extra-urban or motorway driving less than 7 litres (more than 40 mpg imp) are achievable.. Even in longer-distance operation at higher speeds, drivers can keep their average fuel consumption below 8 litres/100 km (more than 35 mpg imp). Overall, the fuel consumption of the plug-in hybrid model therefore works out around 50 per cent better than that of conventionally powered sports car models.

World's first production car with laser light.

Introduction of the optional BMW laser headlights is scheduled for autumn 2014, when the BMW i8 will become the world's first production car to offer this innovative lighting technology. BMW laser headlights are around 30 per cent more energy-efficient than the BMW i8's standard LED headlights and provide considerably more powerful road illumination, with a range of up to 600 metres. Highly concentrated beams of light from high-performance laser diodes act on a fluorescent phosphor material inside the headlight, which projects a sharply focused beam of light onto the road. The laser headlights produce a light similar to natural daylight and are therefore always easy on the eye.

BMW eDrive: Sports car powertrain of the future.

The BMW i8's plug-in hybrid system comprises a 170 kW/231 hp, 320 Nm (236 lb-ft) three-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and a 96 kW/131 hp, 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) hybrid synchronous electric motor. The BMW eDrive system also includes a lithium-ion high-voltage battery (with a usable capacity of 5,2 kWh) and intelligent energy management that uses the combined output of 266 kW/362 hp to provide breathtaking performance and maximum efficiency, while always taking into account the driving situation and driver requirements. The excellent balance between driving pleasure and fuel economy is aided by a low vehicle weight of 1,485 kg (DIN kerb weight) and an unusually good drag coefficient (Cd) for a sports car of 0.26.

In zero-emission all-electric mode, the BMW i8 has a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph) and a range of 37 kilometres (23 miles) within the EU test cycle. Depending on whether the plug-in hybrid sports car's lithium-ion battery is recharged at a household power socket or BMW i Wallbox, or at a public charging station, charging times range from less than two up to three hours. In Sport mode the BMW i8 offers mid-range acceleration from 80 to 120 km/h (50 to 75 mph) in 2.6 seconds. The electronically governed top speed is 250 km/h (155 mph).

Last edited by pix335i; 03-10-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: E93 Covertible
I can't wait!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 325xi
Price??
Old 05-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistres View Post
price??
$135,700.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 325xi
Not bad at all....
Old 05-19-2014, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 08 X54.8 04X54.4 00E46CiC
When will the BMWUSA configurator be up and running?
2001 X5 4.4, Ret.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: SLS, E39 M5, E30 M3
Newest info is that the first US delivery will be at the Pebble Beach Concours on August 18th. At which point the port will release other cars for delivery. So orders will need to be finalized in the coming couple of weeks to make that date. Probably won't see an i8 configurator until then and probably not until orders begun to be delivered...but you never know.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 G63 AMG
Here's a link to an i8 configurator from the European site, but it's pretty basic.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...isualizer.html

There's an i8 catalogue that can be downloaded from that site as well.

I'm second on the list at my dealer so really hoping that I'll get mine this year.

Barry
2011 Porsche GT3 Cup Car (PCA Racing)
Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: Z8, Maser GT-MC, 427 Vett
U.S. deliveries

Spoke with my SoCal dealer today. They are expecting 3-4 cars in the 4Q14 and 3-4 more in 1Q15, for their initial allocations. This is down slightly from a previous number they had provided and the initial deliveries seem to have slipped from ~late summer, to 4Q. I'm supposedly still in their top 5 on the customer list, so it remains to be seen whether I'll see a car this year.
They still don't seem to have any firm info re the U.S. order guide or ordering timing. They say, once they have the order guide they will begin taking hard orders and deposits.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: M6
On the list in Arizona, No news yet.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast

I'll be driving the i8 today for the first time and will have a driving review shortly afterwards. If anyone has any specific questions, let me know and I'll see what I can find out!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Dude awesome!!! Hope you're having a blast!

Can you check the surround view with top view, how much improved it is over current surround view (the i8 has an additional front camera for this).

Does right hand mirror angle down when you reverse?

Is the round hole in the center console, in front of storage compartment, a cupholder or something else? I've seen conflicting reports on this.

And, post lots of pics and some video!

Most of all enjoy, you're getting to do something many of us are dying to do - drive an i8!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i Sport
Also curious to know your assessment of the dash displays, both for the speed and tach as well as the iDrive screen. I've seen some reports that they were somewhat difficult to read under certain lighting conditions.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: i8 (on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Is the round hole in the center console, in front of storage compartment, a cupholder or something else? I've seen conflicting reports on this.
Cup holder, but can also be used for a cigarette ash tray if desired (see attached pic below)
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW i8 00i-000 (Halo int.).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	443153

T
Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Can you check the surround view with top view, how much improved it is over current surround view (the i8 has an additional front camera for this).
The surround view certainly seems to be an improvement over what I remember of it in the last 3 series that I drove that had it. I took a couple photos of the screen for you to show you what it looks like.

http://s1.bimmerfest.com/gallery/201...-drive-206.jpg

http://s1.bimmerfest.com/gallery/201...-drive-207.jpg

I really enjoyed the front camera. I had been waiting for them to add this and think its a great addition.

Quote:
Does right hand mirror angle down when you reverse?
Yes. Just like any other BMW. As long as the mirror adjustment selector is not on the passenger side, the mirror auto tilts down.

Quote:
As Tilum alluded to, yes, it is a cup holder or phone holder as it sometimes tends to be when I don't have a drink to go in there.

Quote:
And, post lots of pics and some video!
Took a bunch of photos here - http://www.bimmerfest.com/bmw-photos...i8-test-drive/

Review coming soon. Great car though.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Also curious to know your assessment of the dash displays, both for the speed and tach as well as the iDrive screen. I've seen some reports that they were somewhat difficult to read under certain lighting conditions.
I had no issues with either of the screens other than the massive amount of information that is being displayed on the instrument cluster. It certainly takes a good understanding of the icons to know exactly what everything means. As it changes based on the mode of driving you are in, it is also very interesting.

The one thing I did not have a chance to try was viewing the screens using polarized sunglasses which I know can sometimes have a significant impact on viewing.

http://s1.bimmerfest.com/gallery/201...-drive-216.jpg

http://s1.bimmerfest.com/gallery/201...-drive-217.jpg

http://s1.bimmerfest.com/gallery/201...-drive-182.jpg
Old 05-31-2014, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i Sport
pix335i, thanks for the great pics and answers to our questions. I'm sure you had a ball driving the car. Can't wait to read your review. BTW, how did you happen to get this opportunity?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:06 PM
i3 Driver

Mein Auto: BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antistres View Post
Not bad at all....
WOW I must hang with the wrong crowd. Six figures for a car? In some parts of the country you can buy a house for that much money.

The mid-life crisis part of me (and the part of me that wants to impress my 10 year old daughter) would buy one in a heartbeat but it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my price range.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
pix335i, thanks for the great pics and answers to our questions. I'm sure you had a ball driving the car. Can't wait to read your review. BTW, how did you happen to get this opportunity?
+1

Thanks for replying to our specific questions and for the [holy crap a whole ton of] pics. Looking forward to your review, pix335i!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D MSport
and finally... the 21st century arrives!

awesome!
2000' 328ci MT TIAG/Blk/Alum | 1986' 325es MT | 1981' 528i MT
Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
We now have pricing and ordering guides for the BMW i8 available for you - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=781423

Tim
Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M6 F13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pix335i View Post
I had no issues with either of the screens other than the massive amount of information that is being displayed on the instrument cluster. It certainly takes a good understanding of the icons to know exactly what everything means. As it changes based on the mode of driving you are in, it is also very interesting.

The one thing I did not have a chance to try was viewing the screens using polarized sunglasses which I know can sometimes have a significant impact on viewing.
Polarized sunglasses filter out the current HUD making it useless.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCypher View Post
Polarized sunglasses filter out the current HUD making it useless.
I have had the HUD since I got my 650i in October of 2005. The HUD works perfectly fine if you invest in a pair of non polarized sunglasses. I wear mine all the time, even when not driving. But, of course, you can use a pair of polarized sunglasses when you are not driving.

I would never give up my HUD for polarized sunglasses. Different strokes for different folks.

Or, I guess you could only use the HUD when it's not sunny.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 Conv & 2014 M6 GC
Status 153 !

Very excited - mine went into assembly today - should have it early October!!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 G63 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
Very excited - mine went into assembly today - should have it early October!!
What's your build spec? Did you get one of the Pure Impulse World cars?

Barry
2011 Porsche GT3 Cup Car (PCA Racing)