Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)
The BMW X6 luxury crossover went on sale in April 2008 as a 2009 model year. BMW referes to the X6 as a Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) as it combines the attributes of an SUV (high ground clearance, xDrive and all-weather ability) with the stance, styling and roof line shape of a coupe. The E71 X6 was built off the E70 X5 (2007 - 2013) platform at BMW's Spartanburg, SC plant. Total worldwide sales were just over 235,000, sold mostly to the BRIC countries. US total sales was 34,082 vehicles.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 650i Coupe
X6 vs. Cayenne…Any opinions?

I am looking to get a newish (2013 and up) X6 or Cayenne sometime around October. This is for my elderly parents. I know, don’t ask. I stopped asking a long time ago. But it’s cool they want one.

High horsepower is out of the question.

I don’t know anything about cross overs and was wondering who did. I know BMW’s, Porsche not so much.

I’d love to hear informed opinions on the two.

Thanks in advance.
Taz
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 228i
Porsche's have had better reliability than BMWs overall, but in both line-ups the SUVs are the problem children for reliability. I think the Porsche fit and finish is better, But both are nice rigs.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
X6 vs. Cayenne…Any opinions?

IMO the X6 looks better than the Cayenne. Drives more "sporty" and just plain awesome. However, the outward visibility is not so good and it's a more expensive X5. Better looking and more exclusive.

The Porsche, what can I say, it's a Porsche. Although the base model is basically a Q5 or Tourag (which costs less). Better visibility and drives nice, base model not as sporty IMO. More of a traditional SUV not a SAC like the X6.

If this car is for your elderly parents, Porsche might be more comfortable than the X6 (really depends on how old they are and what they like and their priority in a vehicle). But do not rule out the X5.

Best way is for them to test drive and see which one they like. All other things like reliability will probably be similar depending on luck of the draw.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by BMWE84E71; 06-26-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 650i Coupe
Thanks for all the input.
I found out that Dad has secretly always wanted a Porsche. So Cayenne it is.
Plus, the diesel with a tow package can pull 7700 lbs. That is very decent and I would not have to buy another tow vehicle.
Off to test drive some today and might drive a few Carreras.
Taz
Old 07-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: '10 X5 35d
If choosing for my elderly parents, I would go with the Cayenne as well. The visibility is significantly better and you can get blind spot detection.