Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5d
i3 Charging Stations

Just put in my order for an i3, very excited, it'll be here in August.

Do I have to use the BMW Charging Station at home, or can I install any charging station?

Any suggestions on what station to use?

I have to bring in my own electrician anyways, as I have to install an a new outlet and connect it to my generator.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: MR2
You can install your own. I personally went with the ClipperCreek HCS40. It seems to be getting the best reviews when I search around various EV forums.

Last edited by jtoast; 07-15-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Is there any difference and advantages between the BMW wall charging station and Clipper Creek besides nearly $400 price difference and styling?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: MR2
The BMW unit is prettier I guess. It also has a screen and I think it also stores charging information.

The ClipperCreek has a longer cord, no screen, and a more generic appearance.

I'm far from an EVSE expert but it looks to me that from a functionality standpoint, they are pretty much the same. Here is a thread from another forum discussing the differences.

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877

The key as I understand it is that you want at least 32 amps or else you drop down in charging speed. Both the BMW unit and the HCS 40 provide that amount of power.

Last edited by jtoast; 07-15-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto:
I also just ordered the Clipper Creek charging station. There are several good reviews out there and it is consistently rated at the top.
Most units pull 30Amps and require a dedicated 40 or 50 amp circuit. (Note the plug in 30 Amp unit requires a 50 amp circuit whereas the hard wired unit requires a 40 Amp circuit).
The BMW charging station is made out of fairly lightweight plastic. as far as their deal with Bosch to install the unit, I had electricians (including one recommended in my area by Tesla) give me estimates. The 5 electrical quotes that I received (for a fairly complicated job running an 80-100 Amp line a fairly long distance from my house to a free standing garage) ran around 2300-2800 dollars whereas the BMW /Bosh recommended electrician quote without the charging station was over $7000. Be careful and shop around!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Drb

Mein Auto: Lexus LS460L
I bought the HCS-40 ClipperCreek unit and it works just as advertised. It is a good , reliable unit and while not as "pretty" as other units, its located in my garage which is not a pretty affair to begin with. I also like the 25ft cord that comes with the ClipperCreek. Here is a case where you save money and get the same quality if not more so than the unit BMW sells.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3, Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark07450 View Post
I also just ordered the Clipper Creek charging station. There are several good reviews out there and it is consistently rated at the top.
Most units pull 30Amps and require a dedicated 40 or 50 amp circuit. (Note the plug in 30 Amp unit requires a 50 amp circuit whereas the hard wired unit requires a 40 Amp circuit).
The BMW charging station is made out of fairly lightweight plastic. as far as their deal with Bosch to install the unit, I had electricians (including one recommended in my area by Tesla) give me estimates. The 5 electrical quotes that I received (for a fairly complicated job running an 80-100 Amp line a fairly long distance from my house to a free standing garage) ran around 2300-2800 dollars whereas the BMW /Bosh recommended electrician quote without the charging station was over $7000. Be careful and shop around!!!

Hi Mark-

I was thinking I could just plug the EVSE into my (un-used) dryer plug, which is on a dedicated 30 amp breaker in my breaker box. But it sounds from this that I would need that plug to be on a 50 amp breaker. Is that correct? Thanks for any advice you can offer on this.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto:
You need to see that the dryer plug is a dedicated circuit with a 50 AMP breaker. If not I would consider the Turbocord by AeroVironment, Inc which can plug in directly and is 220V but -6-20 Amps.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto:
Correction. I think it pulls 16 or 18 Amps and requires only a 20 Amp circuit ....

Old 08-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: X3, Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark07450 View Post
Correction. I think it pulls 16 or 18 Amps and requires only a 20 Amp circuit ....

Many thanks Mark.

I'm feeling like maybe the wise move now would be to bring in a professional electrician