Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 06-15-2014, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 M3 E36
Question '97 M3 overheated now I'm getting no crank no start

Ok so I've had my '97 M3 E36 for just over a year now and it's been blowing apart clutch fans and ruining radiators since day one. So, the other day I'm driving home for an emergency when this thing decides it's time to go and puts a big huge hole in my radiator. I may have pushed it a little harder than I should have to get it home but it overheated. When I got closer to home and had to slow down, the dummy lights started coming on, oil, CEL, battery. When I came to a stop the car died, luckily it was right by the house. Since it died I have been getting a no crank no start and can't figure out why... So far I've pulled my radiator and what was left of the fan and it's brand new clutch. I put a wrench on the main pulley and gave it a spin so I know my engine isn't seized up, there's no milk in the oil and no oil in the coolant, so no cracked head. I just really need to figure out why my starter isn't even clicking at the solenoid. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Any ideas??
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Got Beemer?

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 535I
You most likely blew the motor. Driving with the car overheated is a BIG no no. Whether it is 2 miles or 20 miles it is not good at all. You probably froze the entire engine. Could just be starter but likely blew the engine. I would price out a new S52.

Alpina
Old 06-16-2014, 04:49 AM

Yea, I already checked to see if it was seized, I was so happy when I realized that it wasn't.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 M3
You said the engine turns over so it's not seized.

I know the engine overheated, but how old is the battery? Do the headlights come on bright?

First thing is to take the battery and have it checked and replaced if necessary-- start with the simple things first.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman0316 View Post
Ok so I've had my '97 M3 E36 for just over a year now and it's been blowing apart clutch fans and ruining radiators since day one. So, the other day I'm driving home for an emergency when this thing decides it's time to go and puts a big huge hole in my radiator. I may have pushed it a little harder than I should have to get it home but it overheated. When I got closer to home and had to slow down, the dummy lights started coming on, oil, CEL, battery. When I came to a stop the car died, luckily it was right by the house. Since it died I have been getting a no crank no start and can't figure out why... So far I've pulled my radiator and what was left of the fan and it's brand new clutch. I put a wrench on the main pulley and gave it a spin so I know my engine isn't seized up, there's no milk in the oil and no oil in the coolant, so no cracked head. I just really need to figure out why my starter isn't even clicking at the solenoid. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Any ideas??
I've had my '95 M3 for 14 yrs and never had any trouble from the belt-driven fan. AFAIK the fan and clutch are what left the factory.

Is it the fan part or the clutch part that fails, and why?

I recently had a "too warm" situation and it was due to a blown fuse on the electric fan.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
^ +1 good battery
(first unplug your car for a few hours before hand)

compression test & diagnostic

You may have cooked your head..

Any pics of your repeated fan/radiator issues?
Im curious of the culprit.

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Ok so here's the deal... I actually cooked my starter... I spent a week doing research and diagnostics. I was getting 12V all the way to the starter. So that left me with two things after diagnosing forever. Those two things were the starter and the ECU. I tried jumping out the starter to no avail which pointed to a faulty starter. SO, I started tearing down the intake manifold to get to that bad boy (if you try this, take PLENTY of pictures and label EVERYTHING considering it's a real hassle to get it put back together). I get down to the starter and found that I had the dreaded "threaded starter". I modified a few tools and got my E12 female torx on the bolts (which face the bell housing and there is VERY little room between the bolt and the bell housing). I went gorilla on the bolts and those things just wouldn't budge (ended up breaking 3 sockets). So I reluctantly sent it to the shop and they had it done and put back together within 3 hours. All in all I felt defeated and broke. Such a waste of time and money. The issue with the fan breaking is coming from worn motor mounts which allow the engine to tilt and the fan comes into contact with the shroud. I'm now looking into either a euro deisel fan or a fan delete mod. I have no idea what the new motor mounts would cost or how to put them in ad I don't have the extra cash to give the shop to do it. Eventually I'll get them done.

Last edited by magicman0316; 07-02-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Glad you got your starter fixed..
I was under the impression you had already done a Dx

Quote:
Ok so I've had my '97 M3 E36 for just over a year now and it's been blowing apart clutch fans and ruining radiators since day one.

Quote:
The issue with the fan breaking is coming from worn motor mounts which allow the engine to tilt and the fan comes into contact with the shroud. I'm now looking into either a euro deisel fan or a fan delete mod.
I have no idea what the new motor mounts would cost or how to put them in ad I don't have the extra cash to give the shop to do it.
Eventually I'll get them done.

you******kiddingme?

Motor mounts are cheap.
A helluva lot cheaper than replacing your fan, radiator, coolant and associated expenses.
Not to mention possibly nuking your cylinder head. (which would cost a lot more)

You should revisit your thinking on that one, mate.

Its a simple job... only takes a couple hours, im sure you can do it..
There are DIY's out there that cover it... just search..

Cheers!

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Yea, I looked them up and they were $26 each. It's a simple job and took me about two hours. We're set!