Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 s28i
2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i - Review Blog

Because Bimmerfest is such a resourceful site for many, including myself, I decided to join and create a three year blog highlighting my wife's new 2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i. My intention is to detail our impression(s) of the vehicle throughout our lease - this way many of you can read/review our experience, and I can use this thread as a historical journal.

I'm not an expert when it comes to reviewing cars, but please feel free to ask questions and share ideas. By the way, I do not work for any automotive company, including sales or mechanics. My profession is very distant from the automotive industry, so I hope to present an unbiased review.

Day 1:

Day 1 Impressions:

Exterior: Love it, or hate it. I tried to convince my wife to get a 3 series instead (perhaps the wagon), but she insisted on a SUV. She was shattered when I told her she's essentially driving a peculiar station wagon/SUV hybrid. We specifically did not want the Lighting Package. The projector lamps do an excellent job illuminating the road ahead, and if we do decide to purchase later on down the road, we'll have one less maintenance cost to worry about - although we've got a long time to even begin considering that proposition.

Interior: Typically BMW. We do prefer in in-dash navigation system over the newer "tablet" like screens in other models. The seats feel relatively nice and the cockpit has plenty of room for each of us. The view through the windshield is very nice, and no major blind spots. The passenger side cup holder is are very basic, (arguably cheap), but if you're one of BMW's cheapest models, and expecting top-line luxury, then your preconceptions are entirely messed up. I consider this a "brand" car, where it is priced just above domestic models that are entirely loaded. So, would you rather drive a loaded Ford Fusion, or a base model BMW? That being said, the driver side cup holder, and respective "storage" underneath the armrest is pretty basic for some, however I find it to be just the right size. We tend to keep the interior of our vehicles very empty, basic, and clean. Only disappointment? The mats seem very cheap, even for an entry BMW. Lastly, Max AC is wicked loud relative to past cars we've owned. It does get the job done, especially in 100 degree Texas. Thankfully, the vehicle is garage kept and is rarely in direct UV exposure. When we do park outside, we always use a sun visor to protect the dash and limit heat transfer.

Electronics: First, pairing the Bluetooth was slightly annoying. Once we paired it up, we had to go out of our way to select "audio" for Bluetooth audio streaming. This seems a bit redundant since most people pair their phone to talk or stream audio anyways, right? Why did I need to find this "hidden" option? Oh well - it works great now. Second, we love the gear shift. Some people find it odd, but it seems pretty intuitive, and its identical to our X5. Third, the navigation screen is excellent. We really enjoy the newer iDrive interface.

Ride/Drive: Many of you may disagree/agree, but the ride is not like the 3 series feel we tend to think of. Perhaps it is because we got the Servotronic steering assist package, although my wife loves this feature? We definitely feel connected to the road, body roll is very minimal, even for this "SAV" model, and it is a blast to drive on curvy roads. The suspension feels great too, granted the X1 doesn't hide the road bumps that's for sure. I've read online it may soften up with age, but I'm not buying into that. Tires? I'm not a huge fan of run-flat tires, but I'm sure the ride would improve significantly with some Michelin Pilot Super Sports instead.

Engine: We specifically wanted the N20 engine paired up with the RWD. Here in Texas, we rarely need AWD. Plus, I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple. The more complicated the drive train, the more likely things are to fail and/or need maintenance. If you didn't know otherwise, some people might be fooled into thinking it has a larger engine underneath the hood. For our needs, the engine has plenty of pep for merging, passing, and accelerating off the line. Now . . . if the car is in EcoPro, everything I just said is a lie.

Maintenance: None thus far, obviously. Although I'm going to personally change the oil once we hit 5,000 miles. I know today's oil technology is significantly advanced compared to years past, but I refuse to wait for BMW to cover the tab for the first oil change. The intervals seems ridiculous. Personally, I think BMW should schedule the first oil change after 6,000 miles, and then perhaps extend it out to 12,000 mile intervals. Regardless, since we may or may not keep this vehicle for years my intentions are to treat it as my own until the day comes. Matter of fact, I refuse to let anyone detail/clean any of our vehicles besides myself. As of now, my wife's X1 has already been hand waxed and sealed, including the rims (makes it significantly easier to clean brake dust off).

Gas mileage: As expected, or better. We're averaging 24 m.p.g. in the city and 33 m.p.g. on the highway. I have an extremely light foot, and always fill up with 100% ethanol free gas where I can. Nevertheless, I keep every gas receipt in the glove box verifying 91 octane or better. Since we live directly across the street from our employer, we average an unheard 400 miles a month here in the Dallas-FW metroplex.

Ignore the typos and errors, but if you have any questions please let me know! Otherwise, I'll check back in a month or so.

Thanks!

Last edited by aldosterone; 08-22-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Nice choice. Are those leather or vinyl seats? I assume leather since that color was only available in leather, I believe. They look less grainy than my Oyster seats. Did you have to order that color combo? what color are your mats and seats trimmed in? looks like you have backup sensor, where are they placed on the rear bumber? do you have the pano roof? why no paddles? Based on your MPG, I guess your driving style doesn't justify them.

To me the ride is much like the E90 3-Series Sport, and thankfully unlike the F30.

Driving in EcoPro does not decrease power, it only makes the engine less responsive to minor inputs of the accelertor. It is just as powerful if you lay your foot down all the way.

Agreed, the fan excessively loud on the highest setting. I'll have to compare it to an E90 with which it shares much of its parts.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Love your choice. I love my X1 and it handles great for an SAV. I completely agree that it handles a lot like the E90. You sit a smidge higher but like a good BMW it still drives like its on rails.

Hate Eco Pro but I understand it's purpose. I drive mine like a bat outta hell because I can't stand going less than 60mph zipping around town. But it's not so bad on longer trips where you know you'll be cruising around for hours and could use the economy.

Enjoy the X1! It's everything that you would want in the "tweener" class! Good room, small enough to zip around traffic, great tech, and of course, it's a BMW!

2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i "Black Betty"
2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman "Penelope"
2011 BMW 328i "Heidi" (past)
Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
Good review!

I got the base halogen headlights also, and they work very good.

The cats eye lights look cooler, but I buy basic function mostly (only add on was M Sport)

I changed my oil at 5K miles so I could sample.

Sent it off to Blackstone labs, and my opinion as a former oil distributor was that the oil is very good.

It had no wear in metal like some cars get or even excess molybdenum which some manufacturers use in assemble grease.

I needed to sample to know, but from what I saw, I would have just left in until they wanted to change it.

After I get my free changes, and run my Mobil 1 0w40 for 10k miles, I'll change and test to know exactly what works.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive
I agree in keeping cars as simple as possible if you plan on keeping them for a while. I had the adaptive xenons in my 2008 328xi coupe. They both failed after a year and a half and were both replaced under warranty. My SA said they would have been $1200 each! Ouch!!! I skipped the lighting package. The angel eyes do look cool but the standard lights work just fine.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 PM

Less is more and I don't miss anything.

The base radio is a dream already.

I can use ipod that's hard to sort, but I have some cd's with about 100 mp3 songs each that make it real easy.

I only listen when waiting in car so I can enjoy car sound while driving or lack thereof.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
Less is more and I don't miss anything.

The base radio is a dream already.

I can use ipod that's hard to sort, but I have some cd's with about 100 mp3 songs each that make it real easy.

I only listen when waiting in car so I can enjoy car sound while driving or lack thereof.
The USB feature of the base radio is great. Try it! Just load up a thumb drive with your favorite albums and plug it in. Sound quality is better than FM and close to CD.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
The USB feature of the base radio is great. Try it! Just load up a thumb drive with your favorite albums and plug it in. Sound quality is better than FM and close to CD.
I know what you mean, but I'd just load some of the approximate 10 CD's in the drive.

It's too much work to even load them for how little I use the player, but it's really great that we have so many ways to use it.

The bass speakers are under the seats, and is so good I seem to like the bass turned down.

Just don't let anyone get in the back seat with a Big Gulp or you could ruin a speaker really quick.

For that matter never spill water in the trunk or some electronics near the battery can short.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Like to Color, I wish I could have gotten that brown, mocha color in our 35i, but Msport doesn't let you order it...
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 PM

Day 5:

Complaint: Gas tank "thumping" noise when the fuel gauge reads below 3/4 of a tank.

You can hear the fuel inside the tank slush, bang, or thump - you pick the best word - while driving in city traffic. Thinking we may be hyper sensitive, we can still hear it over the AC on low and XM radio up a little bit.

This is the first car where I can hear the fuel physically moving around in the tank. . .

What should I do, call the dealer and have them investigate it? Is this an isolated issue, or has anyone else on here noticed this as well? For full disclosure, we're not that family that calls to complain about loud neighbors or barking dogs. . . It's pretty noticeable.

Last edited by aldosterone; 08-22-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Like to Color, I wish I could have gotten that brown, mocha color in our 35i, but Msport doesn't let you order it...
That stinks. I find it hard to understand why BMW limits specific color combinations, especially when the buyer is willing to pay more for a specific leather color.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM

Day 39:

Wife mentioned an unusual noise coming from the driver side door. Figuring she was being dramatic, thinking she bought into the "my new car should never make a single noise" mentality, I let it slide for a week or so. Decided to take it out this afternoon. Sure enough, what a horrible noise. . . You cannot hear it when you go over any "rough" road, but it seems to annoy you the most on "normal" roads. I inspected the lock mechanism/door area, windows/glass, and mirrors with no luck. I'm sure it is something simple, but it is very annoying.

Honestly, part of me thinks the door is resting too much on the metal hinge protruding out from the frame, and it rattles over certain terrain? My father told me to ditch the run-flat tires because those surely do not help absorb any stress from the road.

Interesting. . . after a quick forum search, do you think the increase in rattle noises is correlated with the use of run-flat tires? When did BMW introduce run-flat tires as OEM? I couldn't find anything definitive.

P.S. The dealership is giving my wife a loaner. Although we're in no position to bargain over a loaner, do they traditionally let you pick from an available inventory of loaner vehicles? If so, my wife wants to get behind a 528i.

Last edited by aldosterone; 08-22-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 PM
BSchulte

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive
they will give it to you if it is in the inventory. I go about 15 minutes before they open so I have first choice of the loaner cars.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda
It depends on the dealer and the time of day. I've read a few posts on here from some east coast guys who get crappy Sonics and Corollas as loaners.
Thankfully, my local dealer has TONS of loaner cars available. If you get there early enough, they will usually let you pick from what they have. But if you go late in the day, you're kinda stuck with what they got (which is usually some kind of 3 series).

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport
Subscribed! Thanks for sharing. Beautiful X1 too.
2011 Ford F-150 Limited (#3252 of 3700)
Retired: 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944
Old 10-09-2014, 03:59 PM

Day 88:

Door Rattle:An area BMW dealership did investigate the door rattle noise - P.S. I was given a 2014 328 as a loaner. As expected, the dealership did not replicate the noise, nor do anything with the vehicle during a road test. Although I still occasionally hear the rattle, I understand their lack of action. Any noise is tough to diagnose, let alone replicate! They tried, and unless it becomes too big of an issue, we're willing to live with it.

Fuel Economy: Anyway, the X1 has been great, however the gas mileage continues to dissapoint. I monitored the usual things - tire pressure and driving habit(s) - during a test interval, per se, and still didn't get close to published EPA numbers. Mind you, I engaged both ECO PRO and Start/Stop. Plus, I of course ran premium fuel. Why can I not get remotely close to EPA m.p.g.? I even went to the extreme of using "hyper-miling" techniques, which did help of course.

Road Noise/Suspension: The road noise is still louder than both the e46 and e90. The X1 is less forgiving when going over road bumps, misc. grooves, and other hazards. Also, back to the road noise, the interior cabin noise is significantly louder too. Initially, I thought the tires were to blame -RFTs, but the e90 has RFTs on too - mind you the suspension components are different. The e46, albeit with the highest mileage and wear of the bunch, dampens the bumps and transmits signficantly less noise than the X1 into the cabin.

Steering: Bored, I drove each vehicle in sequential order of production around my aparment complex. The hydraulic steering of both the e46 and e90 provide me much joy, whereas I definitely sense the "heavy steering" engineer BMW's are known for. Or were known for? The X1 on the other hand feels disconnected, numb, and relatively boring compared to the e46 and e90 - e90 > e46 > >> X1. Worth mentioning, I personally replaced the steering pump in the e46. This may have influenced things?

Unscientific MPG Comparison:

2001 BMW 328ci - (126,717 miles) - 5MT - RWD - 2.8L - EPA: 18/21/26

2009 BMW 328i - (69,685 miles) - 6SPD AUTO - RWD - 3.0L - EPA: 18/22/28

2014 BMW X1 sDrive28 - (3,993 miles) - 8SPD AUTO- RWD - 2.0 L - EPA: 22/24/34

Unscientific Real World MPG:

2001 BMW 328ci: X/26.7/X

2009 BMW 328i: X/25.5/X

2014 BMW sDrive28i: 13.9/23/26

Believe me, take these numbers with a grain of salt, but my little experiment did confirm what I suspected all along. Question, if the X1 is equipped with "modern" fuel saving features - ECO PRO, Start/Stop, and even an eight speed automatic transmission coupled with a newer engine design, why does it perform so poorly compared to previous models gas mileage wise? I understand the weight may be different, as well as the aerodynamics, heck even the gearing and etc. plays a role, but those things aside, isn't this already accounted in the published EPA m.p.g. rating? If so, does it seem logical that "fuel saving" gimmicks - ECO PRO and Start/Stop - is more so about increasing said numbers on paper, and less about real world application?

Just a rant.

Here are a few pictures of them side-by-side. Guess which one is getting ready to hit the market? The freshly detailed one, of course!

Comparison Shots:

One last comment, I'm pretty sure the m.p.g. infopanel in the X1 is not a "real-time" as the other two vehicles, despite larger navigation screen. Even the 3-series loaner we were given why the X1 was in the shop seemed to report better "live" m.p.g. and/or quicker cumulative information.

I call BULL on the X1's EPA m.p.g. numbers. Period.

Last edited by aldosterone; 10-09-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:09 PM

Quick note. In the first post you'll find me mentioning 24 m.p.g. in the city and 33 m.p.g. on the highway. Given the new information, those numbers had to have been wrong. At the time, I felt as though they were correct. But, in retrospect, the data was taken immediately following a long highway drive from the dealership. So, I'm pretty sure the numbers skewed toward the high end, as opposed to true mix driving.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Nice car

I love it
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
I have a hard time swallowing that 13.9 you are getting in city driving. Ours is easily in the low 20's and my wife never drives on the highway. Seems like there might be some issue there.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldosterone View Post
Quick note. In the first post you'll find me mentioning 24 m.p.g. in the city and 33 m.p.g. on the highway. Given the new information, those numbers had to have been wrong. At the time, I felt as though they were correct. But, in retrospect, the data was taken immediately following a long highway drive from the dealership. So, I'm pretty sure the numbers skewed toward the high end, as opposed to true mix driving.
My grand average so far, 9k miles or so (with large proportion of bumper to bumper on DNT) is 20.6mpg. Which is quite worse than what I had with my manual e46. I think it is mostly the weight of the car and the auto tranny.

In regards to the steering - that's why I went with xdrive, it still has the good old hydraulic steering. Otherwise, as you said no real need for it here. Well, ok, except in the next ice storm.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
I have a hard time swallowing that 13.9 you are getting in city driving. Ours is easily in the low 20's and my wife never drives on the highway. Seems like there might be some issue there.
Like I said, the data collection is susceptible to numerous outside influences, but as a whole, the point is pretty clear: the EPA rating for the X1 is distant from published numbers.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
My grand average so far, 9k miles or so (with large proportion of bumper to bumper on DNT) is 20.6mpg. Which is quite worse than what I had with my manual e46. I think it is mostly the weight of the car and the auto tranny.

In regards to the steering - that's why I went with xdrive, it still has the good old hydraulic steering. Otherwise, as you said no real need for it here. Well, ok, except in the next ice storm.
This isn't a ding toward BMW, but how is it the X1, as well as numerous new vehicles today, signficantly fall outside published EPA m.p.g. numbers?

Shouldn't the weight, drag coefficient, and etc. already be accounted into the numbers? And if so, how do you explain the disparity? According to the EPA the X1 should exceed both the e46 manual and auto e90, correct? Well why the heck cannot I not even MATCH those numbers?

Is it safe to say the purpose behind Start/Stop, EcoPro buttons, and other gimmicks is to artifically inflate gas mileage ratings?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:06 PM

Recap:

2001 BMW 328ci:

Theoretical EPA Combined: 21
Actual Combined: 26.7
Percent Error: +27%

2009 BMW 328i

Theoretical EPA Combined: 22
Actual Combined: 25.5
Percent Error: +16%

2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i

Theoretical MPG Combined: 27
Actual MPG Combined: 22.8
Percent Error: -16%
Old 10-11-2014, 12:06 PM

My scanguage shows that I can drive through town getting 40-50 mpg. Now the trick averaging that. I got 34mpg once at 55-60 mph and no AC. I also got 28 mpg average last week with 30% AC and 70-80 mph. Several times I got 23 mpg average on a long trip with wind at 80 mph and hot with AC on. Starting your drive, and idling in traffic can ruin mileage on any car, but It bests any mileage I've ever had on a car and the power is OMG.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
I would venture to say that just because your particular numbers for mileage don't match what BMW publishes doesn't necessarily mean they are lying. I can look at my numbers which are actually better than what they publish and say that they should in fact be higher. The point being that a single vehicle can not be the sample size. I would guess that if everybody checked their mileage closely over a given period of time it would probably be close to the published numbers.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.