Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-02-2013, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: e34 535
e34 bible

Wow heaps of info nice work!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
http://www.scribd.com/doc/80785425/15/Moonroof This may be something to add very interesting.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 11-27-2013, 04:16 AM

Mein Auto: e34 535
Thanks heaps 540 sport. Will give me some reading when I get time I did find out I don't have a head gasket problem and it is a leaking oil pressure sending unit a the back of engine. So I got a miller WAR MAF combo this week and I have a list of thing to do. Wheels off to do brakes new discs and pads all round.
Replace front struts already did rear with lowered spring set.
Picked up a set of e32 16inch wheels to go on they look like whats there now.
New exhaust mounts/hangers.
Diff oil and check centre bearing[little bit of shudder at crusing speed when off gas].
Replace seal form problem oil sender at rear of engine check and if needed replace heater,fuel lines what ever looks bad.
Then put in chip and maf and cross fingers
Hoping should do alright put a e28 single mass fly when I did the clutch last year, new rebuilt injectors 19pounds, probably leave it at that I need to get the paint touched up then. This is my first BMW and I am really pleased at the build quality. Took abit to get used to getting the most out of how you drive it very reavy engine I had a Maloo ute before with the 5.7 + mods and having it on tap form the get go was cool but the e34 goes around corners a lot better
Any ideas from you guys would be cool and please excuse any cockups with this post/reply??
I don't know what I'm doing I'm new here joe dirt..
Old 12-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Nothin like an E34

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/obc_...c_secrets.html
http://home.iae.nl/users/bts/obc.htm
Check these out

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 e34 535i
Great info, it looks like my bookmark page! Well done indeed. Quick question about the afm adjustment, my 535i is idling at 11.4, super rich, and adjusting the afm to stoich had no affect on it. Now, I believe this is due to the PO wiring in a different DME (long story), but in a normal situation, would this method change the AFR shown on a wide band gauge?

'89 535i/5 k27 turbo
Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Last edited by ZenitramNaes; 01-02-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:01 AM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Mein Auto: What they Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenitramNaes View Post
Great info, it looks like my bookmark page! Well done indeed. Quick question about the afm adjustment, my 535i is idling at 11.4, super rich, and adjusting the afm to stoich had no affect on it. Now, I believe this is due to the PO wiring in a different DME (long story), but in a normal situation, would this method change the AFR shown on a wide band gauge?
What's up bro. Glad to see you on this side of the fence.

The AFM adjustment like mentioned earlier adds more air via vane and changes the mixture.
It changes the mix on idle and during normal driving. Just not as much during driving.
When this is performed a sniffer gauge in the tail. The change in the mix is evident.

That said I would think you could see it using a wideband. But that's a guess based on the similar capabilities of both the wideband and a sniffer gauge.

IMO the dme issue and the fact that your running rich seems like a compounded issue.
I would check all the usual suspects before ruling the DME as the cause.
If you can't prove anything else to be the culprit. Then look into what's going on with your DME.

Furthermore You have a boosted M30!!!!
Please give ME..excuse me... us the low down on the build.
There aren't many if any e34 force induction builds on this board (except for tim, a few other SC 540s and one 540 on Nos)
I'm one of a few boosted builds in process here.

Speaking of which I can't remember your thread over on BF.C. So I'm up to subscribe as soon as you decide to write one up.

Now with a boosted e34 you have other factors to hunt and mull through most of which depend on your build.
FWIW I've heard that boosted m30s tend to run rich.
That's not to say that your reading on the wideband is normal.
I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction until other aspects have been checked.

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 01-03-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 e34 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySatinDoll View Post
What's up bro. Glad to see you on this side of the fence.
This post actually made me want to join up believe it or not. Also had to make an account to ask the previous question. Glad to be here!

Quote:
The AFM adjustment like mentioned earlier adds more air via vane and changes the mixture.
It changes the mix on idle and during normal driving. Just not as much during driving.
When this is performed a sniffer gauge in the tail. The change in the mix is evident.
That said I would think you could see it using a wideband. But that's a guess based on the similar capabilities of both the wideband and a sniffer gauge.
I don't doubt the ability of a exhaust sniffer to be able to detect the changes, but as for my wide band, Innovate MTX-L, it didn't detect any changes.

Quote:
IMO the dme issue and the fact that your running rich seems like a compounded issue.
I would check all the usual suspects before ruling the DME as the cause.
If you can't prove anything else to be the culprit. Then look into what's going on with your DME.
I don't actually suspect that my DME is the culprit, but the wiring of my engine harness to the DME shouldn't be trust. The culprit for all I know could lie in the mess of wires for all I know. Mega squirt will solve it hopefully..

Quote:
Furthermore You have a boosted M30!!!!
Please give ME..excuse me... us the low down on the build.
There aren't many if any e34 force induction builds on this board (except for tim, a few other SC 540s and one 540 on Nos)
I'm one of a few boosted builds in process here.

Speaking of which I can't remember your thread over on BF.C. So I'm up to subscribe as soon as you decide to write one up.

Now with a boosted e34 you have other factors to hunt and mull through most of which depend on your build.
FWIW I've heard that boosted m30s tend to run rich.
That's not to say that your reading on the wideband is normal.
I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction until other aspects have been checked.
I don't have a build thread because I bought it turbocharged. Not to mention from a guy that had no idea what had been done to it. So, over the months I slowly found out what had been done with it by finding old adds of the original builder and what not. I'm actually in the process of discovering EXACTLY what block and head were used with this build. As of now there are some of us how believe it is an m106.

Here is the thread I made in the 7 series, e23, section about identfying the engine.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...tifying-engine

As for a build thread, I've taken this thing apart so many times that I could make one. However, I do plan on making a thread and the process of mega squirting the engine. Coming within a month or two! I know the member Goat Thumper has pretty good write ups on BimmerForums, but by now they are four to five years old. I would love to help clear things up with other users planning, or attempting to run MS in their own cars.

Didn't mean to thread jack, carry on!

'89 535i/5 k27 turbo
Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Last edited by ZenitramNaes; 01-03-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Quote:
This post actually made me want to join up believe it or not. Also had to make an account to ask the previous question. Glad to be here!
Me too. The fest isn't as intense as BF.C. Which for me was good. Not to say the people I've met over the years at BF.C weren't beneficial to my growth. I still have love (brotherly that is) for many of them and hold close ties to them. But after a few bad incidents on my part. As well as the changing of the atmosphere there. I tend to log on once in the blue.

That said "Welcome to the Family or Party, or just plain welcome.

Quote:
I don't doubt the ability of a exhaust sniffer to be able to detect the changes, but as for my wide band, Innovate MTX-L, it didn't detect any changes.
So let's say (just for now) that the dme and the wiring is ok.
I would definitely check the easier of the common issues which cause a m30 to go rich.
I say easier for one of the more involved issues could be the injectors.
It's not an easy task to physically check if they are dumping more fuel than needed.

However you can run through your tune using tunerstudio to see what your settings are.
(opening my tunerstudio app) I would check your engine constants, injector characteristics,
(damn thing is updating, cool but f'up when trying to explain or assist others)
VE fuel map and AFR map. (this is without looking at TS...nevermind it's back up)
Also maybe a good idea to check your ignition map as well.
These should let you know where you are as far as what you got going in the build.

One places I learned the most for my build is on mye28.com.
Though we have e34s, mye28 shows the most love for the m30 cars.
There you'll see a section for force induction.

The good thing about them is no one there is holier than thou.
Everyone will help without the politics and BS usually found on BF.C.

Quote:
I don't actually suspect that my DME is the culprit, but the wiring of my engine harness to the DME shouldn't be trust. The culprit for all I know could lie in the mess of wires for all I know. Mega squirt will solve it hopefully..
I don't either. But as I think about it, and knowing a little more about your build, your tune may be a possible culprit.
Use megaviewer while driving around town or whatever and see whats going on. As well check out as mentioned mye28.com they have tons of threads talking about MS and its related issues.

Quote:
I don't have a build thread because I bought it turbocharged. Not to mention from a guy that had no idea what had been done to it. So, over the months I slowly found out what had been done with it by finding old adds of the original builder and what not. I'm actually in the process of discovering EXACTLY what block and head were used with this build. As of now there are some of us how believe it is an m106.

Here is the thread I made in the 7 series, e23, section about identfying the engine.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...tifying-engine
Oh. Ok well I understand that. Unless you've pulled the head already check the casting numbers on the side of the head. That's a sure fire way to find out if it's a m106 or a regular b35. IIRC the m106 has a few differences in the block. The heads... well I've heard both sides of which is better. I think both are solid and can make some serious RWHP on the cheap and if you have a huge budget.

Quote:
As for a build thread, I've taken this thing apart so many times that I could make one. However, I do plan on making a thread and the process of mega squirting the engine. Coming within a month or two! I know the member Goat Thumper has pretty could write ups on BimmerForums, but by now they are four to five years old. I would love to help clear things up with other users planning, or attempting to run MS in their own cars.

Didn't mean to thread jack, carry on!
No thread jack. It's good to have a m30 boost build on the subforum. You have a valid question that I'm sure someone will ask eventually. So you're good.

I too have read GT's threads and yes they are old. I built my MS2 using bnib stuff and parts from a salvaged MS1 unit built to GT's specs.
Using his info, what I found in my research and asking a few people. I was able to track down most of my issues. I don't have it anymore. But I do have the documentation ready for my next MS build.

I can send you the documentation I used to build it. If you need I will scan it all tomorrow (Saturday) and shoot a link here for it.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 AM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Added Megasquirt documentation I gathered over the years to first post.
Its 2 RAR files. The one titled Megasquirt II doesn't mean MS2 info only.

It's just the second RAR file.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
E mode problem

Hi Joey , firstly thanks for all ure wonderful info ...
honestly i just need to find out if in E mode only when u reach like 120 speed the car gives a kind of back an forth reaction...like not getting enough power to move forward properly. but when u put it in S mode it work great.

Please any suggestions of what might be problem?
NB : i`m a young lady so please bare with me.....my car has a lot of sentimental value was in the family more than 15 years.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 AM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauhira View Post
Hi Joey , firstly thanks for all ure wonderful info ...
honestly i just need to find out if in E mode only when u reach like 120 speed the car gives a kind of back an forth reaction...like not getting enough power to move forward properly. but when u put it in S mode it work great.

Please any suggestions of what might be problem?
NB : i`m a young lady so please bare with me.....my car has a lot of sentimental value was in the family more than 15 years.
No worries and welcome.
You have an auto correct? E and S are essentially Economy and Sport transmission program modes.
When in E, the car will determine the best or optimal gearing for the best fuel usage.
Sport mode is just that. It is a more aggressive gearing program. It's not the best for fuel economy but it does provide the driver with a more responsive ride.

What I don't know is if it works with those having self leveling suspensions or SLS. But I would guess it does at some rate.

Now if your experiencing transmission shifting issues that can be something else. Best to write up a thread and give us as much detail as possible to assist you.

Again welcome to the Fest.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
E mode problems

Thanks Joey !
Well I will write up a thread but I don't know much ...
Well car went to get a paint job and was there parked up for about 6 weeks.... I had to replace bumper so took awhile to locate a good one in my country ..
Anyways we scraped the car interior ... I had to change roof upholstery cus the fury one was loose out ... And a few rubbers on doors windows etc ...
They gave brand new paint job original black 303 ... Looks great have to carry it bac in week time to give it final buff after we allowed paint to settle properly.
So with all the dust etc .. They had to clean engine etc ... I was thinking maybe water got somewhere ...
When I first got back car it was idling like it was can I use the term "missing" or jumping not smooth .... But gave it a couple runs an noticed it running more smooth on idle .... Hoping problem goes away on E mode .
Carried my Fren bro who basically help me bring the car bac to proper working condition ie road worthy ... He said he not sure .. Give it some time and it it get worst it might be transmission because engine still powerful and when it on S mode it works great.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Nothin like an E34

OBC Info
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/obc_...c_secrets.html
http://home.iae.nl/users/bts/obc.htm

Gotta love an E34!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 03-17-2014, 01:02 AM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Excellent add for I forgot how to do it to check my battery voltage.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:24 AM
89'bimmer White on Navy

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 525i
Fuel pump fix easy does it
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...e/FuelPump.htm

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-19-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

New Link Update

I found this today. The push rod to my Clutch Master Cylinder snapped so I was looking for a more
visual DIY for MC removal/install to compare to the Bentley manual and BMWe34.net.

I found this to be the better of the few I found in my search. My hat's off to the author /// Manuel
Well documented, pictures are pretty clear, DIY is straight forward.

Clutch Master Cylinder How To Write Up (yes it is fairly time consuming )

As well the member posted links were added to the 1st thread and credits given to the finders.

Also found this as I read through the DIY listed above:

E34 Wiring schematics per year model.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 04-19-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

New item added to the list.

Since the Rick's No Start Shark Page" is down.
I figured what of equal substance can be provided......

Here you go guy's straight from my personal archives and probably one of the most sought
after catalogs

The Alpina B10 parts catalog.
This is not the brochure. This is the official Factory catalog From Alpina.
Very few people have it let alone know of it's existence outside the Alpina and M5 Community.

I believe each and every item listed can be purchased via dealer for all the part numbers are there.

edit:

The engine and drivetrain stuff are specifically for the m30 and m70.
But everything else exterior and interior wise is for all e34s
Now if any of our friends across the pond can comment and translate some of the descriptions. Everyone wins.

Alpina B10 catalog.pdf

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 04-19-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

New Link Added!!!

After the recent No start and ews issues people are having I found this while helping another member.

THE DEFINITIVE “NO-START” THREAD

As well do to recent info pages being removed from the net forever.
I'm going to copy and upload the older posts and threads to my download site so we will always have them available.

This will take time. So as I copy and upload to the download site. I will be removing the old link and replacing it with the new one.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

New Link added

Very rare Guides Articles Manuals and More for you to Download from Ozibimmer aka Addam

At a glance Ozibimmer compiled a list of downloadable manuals for the e34, e30, e39, e38 and such. Great job Ozi.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1991 BMW 525I
help

I cant get into the trunk on m y 1991 525i. I tried the key every way and tried going behind seat. The button pushes in easly with no resistance. I really need to get it open. I have no tail lights.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Unlock the car from the drivers door and try pushing the button in, it travels a lot (at least it's supposed to)

Sent from my POS Huawei
Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

New addition

Here's a thread detailing how to rebuild a Heater Valve.
Heater Valve Question w/ Rebuild Video

Video's By Jon Kensy (very knowledgeable guy)
Thread is by Alpina535 and ZombieHunter...Good job guys.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Nothin like an E34

Here is a cool upgrade i found when trying to solve my washer issue, will be trying it if i cannot fix the issue.
http://www.quebecman.net/e34/CustomWasherNozzleE34.pdf

Gotta love an E34!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 07-22-2014, 12:35 AM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Update

Got around to working on the car and came across this:
M50 S50 and S52 Head-Gasket-Replacement-DIY
Author is Hellrot 325. he references quite a few sources but gives plenty of details from his experience... respect

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 07-22-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Update

Car audio write up from one of our own:
MDA185 Upgrading the E34 Stereo Tutorial & highlight

Now added to the e34 Bible.