Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:59 AM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
I owned an E93 335i 6MT with every option and I currently have a E92 M3 DCT ZCP.

I always thought my 335i was perhaps the perfect vert solid structure entertaining handling and enough speed and driver involvement to keep things interesting. A feeling of sensual connectivity could be felt at lower speeds and was accentuated by the fact the car was a vert. I used the car as a daily driver and I found even routine runs could engender a feeling of adventure and excitement and I could bring along my German shepherd and/or friends. I always thought the excellent 6MT, in tandem with the sports tuned suspension, was the critical element that made the car playful and awakened the sports car DNA in an otherwise very heavy car. I regretted the optional electric steering which endowed my 335i with cat like agility at low speeds but never properly communicated what the front tires were doing at higher speeds frequent small midcourse corrections at higher speeds were inevitable. I never found the car very economical,but I was guilty of frequently thrashing it. I have mixed emotions about driving a vert, but overall, I have very fond memories of my 335i.

My M3 is a sublime driving experience. I find it makes a great daily driver. Indeed, the suspension is more compliant than my 335i with runflats. Handling is sharper, steering is more communicative. Of course more horse power, less weight and a roof overhead makes for more solid secure handling. As nice as the engine note is in the 335i, the sound of the M3 is just other worldly. I find myself looking for opportunities to exercise the car just to hear its music. I rarely listen to the stereo. The M3 exterior styling modifications serve to sharpen the pleasing E90 design to suggest both speed and impart a bad ass attitude to the car that the 335i lacks. The interior M3 tweaks reinforce the special nature of the car. I equivocate at times about not purchasing the 6MT but when I hit an all too frequent DC Metro epic traffic jam, I am very pleased to be driving my DCT equipped M3. Overall, the M3 provides an exceptional driving experience and compares favorably to sports cars that cost considerably more.

The 335i is a wonderful car the M3 is great. If you purchase a 335i you will no doubt enjoy it, eventually trade it, and its memory will fade. If you get the M3, 20 years from now, you will still be telling your son about your M3 or perhaps you might let him drive yours. The M3 is a keeper.
this is why i am saving for the M3. It is the experience that you describe that I am looking for.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kidd View Post
this is why i am saving for the M3. It is the experience that you describe that I am looking for.
The total experience is what M car ownership is all about, and there are few who are able to eloquently express this as well as Capobranco.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
The total experience is what M car ownership is all about, and there are few who are able to eloquently express this as well as Capobranco.
I think I can do it better below.

"Buy it because its the S* and the best"

Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335 is Cabriolet
Thanks to all of you that have responded.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 AM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Re: M3 or 335i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I think I can do it better below.

"Buy it because its the S* and the best"

Looollll!!! Well said brotha!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 07-04-2014, 04:14 PM
rwmedia

Mein Auto: 335i
I love this debate

There are some excellent points in this commentary, and I know I am late to the conversation but just wanted to add a couple of things. I have an '08 335i with the 6 speed manual trans and Dinan Stage 1 mod and Dinan 4 tip exhaust, tuned to about 368 hp (I say about because the car now has 55k) and sport package and I am considering an M3 with the standard trans (I want to drive the car - I get why everyone likes the paddles but I want a clutch) with the executive package and 19" wheel/tire and sport. My two bits worth is this: the 335i with the mods gives me just as much fun with a tighter sense of the car wrapped around me. I may still buy the M3 but it is more of a luxury car with punch. I find the suspension a tad bit softer and when running by the lakeshore with constant turns and ups and downs on the road, the 335i feels like it is a part of me, whereas I feel like I am a part in the M3. I don't know how better to say that. I think driving is such an individual experience, so I just wanted to share that if I want to feel like I am in a cockpit that fits me like a glove as I hurtle around corners and teeter on the brink, I take the 335i with the upgrades. I don't see how you can lose with either car.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3
I'm pretty new to BMW ownership, but I'll chime in. It sounds like you have some budget constraints, and I'm guessing this will be your main or only car, and it likely won't have a warranty. If I were in that situation I wouldn't be getting the M3. Its a great car, but not a great everything car. It also isn't a cheap car to maintain well. I'm keeping my Toyota Camry for longer trips, for trips that will involve sitting in traffic, or bad weather - all situations where its a better choice than the M3. I'll probably be booted out of the club for saying this, but if I were having to buy an out of warranty car that will be my only one, I might consider a Toyota or Honda instead. If you have to go BMW, and it has to be M3 vs 335i, I'd go with the 335i, its the better all arounder. I would absolutely avoid any BMW with a turbo.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc M3 View Post
If you have to go BMW, and it has to be M3 vs 335i, I'd go with the 335i, its the better all arounder. I would absolutely avoid any BMW with a turbo.
are you trying to be funny?
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:55 PM

Nope, just giving an opinion hopefully geared to the OPs situation. I view my M3 as a luxury, well in excess of what I need for practical transportation, and not as well suited for some situations as some "lesser" cars. The way the original question was asked leads me to think that budget and practicality are considerations. I also happen to think that turbos add another layer of complexity, as well as not always being well cared for in use by previous owners of used cars, so I'd suggest the OP avoid them.

What part of my post struck you as an attempt at humor?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Nope, just giving an opinion hopefully geared to the OPs situation. I view my M3 as a luxury, well in excess of what I need for practical transportation, and not as well suited for some situations as some "lesser" cars. The way the original question was asked leads me to think that budget and practicality are considerations. I also happen to think that turbos add another layer of complexity, as well as not always being well cared for in use by previous owners of used cars, so I'd suggest the OP avoid them.

What part of my post struck you as an attempt at humor?
m3 is the one that doesnt have the turbos. the 335i is.

think thats why you are being laughed at. or could be trolling i dont know

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Ok, makes perfect sense. My face is red, and you have my apologies. I really didn't look at the regular 3 series for myself much before choosing my M3, and didn't remember the 335i had the turbo. I came to the M3 after shopping Porsche and Corvette and deciding I needed something that filled my need for speed and refinement without sticking out to the boys in blue quite so obviously. Therefore I revise my suggestion to the OP to consider a 3 series without turbo.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Ok, makes perfect sense. My face is red, and you have my apologies. I really didn't look at the regular 3 series for myself much before choosing my M3, and didn't remember the 335i had the turbo. I came to the M3 after shopping Porsche and Corvette and deciding I needed something that filled my need for speed and refinement without sticking out to the boys in blue quite so obviously. Therefore I revise my suggestion to the OP to consider a 3 series without turbo.
Let me get this straight. You own an m3 and don't know that it's NA?

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335is
335is FTW!

'11 E92 335is DCT ProTuned by PTF Black Sapphire Metallic (Mine)
'14 F30 335xDrive Mineral Grey (Wifey)
'11 E92 335xDrive Space Grey (Retired)
'08 E90 328xi Alpine White (Retired)
'04 E46 325xi Silver Grey (Retired)
'03 E46 330xi Titanium Silver (Retired)
'98 Audi A4 2.8 Black (Retired)
'89 Saab 900 Turbo Grey (Retired) 350,000 miles

ED - Aug/Sept 2013 - '14 F30 335xDrive w/DHP Mineral Grey
Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
Let me get this straight. You own an m3 and don't know that it's NA?
No, I know about the M3. My advice about the M3 to the OP had nothing to do with the turbo issue. The fact the M3 had no turbo was a selling point to me in my buying my car, so at least to some degree I practice what I preach.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:27 AM

I smell a troll

Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 AM

Whatever. Maybe over time you'll revise your assessment. I'll be fine if you don't.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: M3/335/911 G50s/911 Turbo
NA vs Turbos

If you don't own a BMW you should not be giving advice

A 4L NA engine that revs to 8K is less reliable than an inline six with turbos...
IMHO I would always take a NA over a turbo engine

Last edited by rolfjahn; 07-25-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Oops
Old 07-26-2014, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: e90 M3
My previous car before my current (e90 m3) was a 2009 e90 335i. My 335 was modded with a Cobb v3 tune, mid pipe and intake. I was running stage 2 agressive tune and getting dyno results of 445 hp and 419 tq. That car HAULED. I would easily take down m3s and even run with m5s until 110mph. I was shocked at the type of cars I could take down. The car was a blast. That being said, it still wasn't an m3. It didn't have the suspension or capabilities the m3 has. It has unbelievable break neck straight line speed but I still found myself trying to cosmetically make it an M. So instead of continuing to put money into it I got an m3 and couldn't be happier. The way the car handles is incredible. Simply incredible. I have the 6 speed also. There are plenty of cars that are faster than mine, including my old 335, but the car is literally the most fun car I've ever owned. More fun than the 2012 jeep SRT8 I had before my 335i. Now the problem is the modding can get out of hand. 72 hours after taking delivery my car had a Meisterschaft GT2 system and AFE intake dropped in lol. Buy the M. No matter how much you love the twin turbo, you'll find yourself wanting an M. Guaranteed.

-Hamann front lip
-15mm spacers all around
-LED angel eyes
-BMW performance chrome black grill
-Custom frozen black roundels
-20% tint all around & 50% windshield
-Passport Max hard wire with custom mute button mount
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: FBO 07 e92 335i
2 different cars , different power delivery and different driving experience.
I would drive an m3 and a FBO 335 and see which one i like best.
Angel Eyes 99$
Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: M3
If you buy the 335i you will always wonder and wish you owned a M3...
The M3 is the premier performance car in the 3 lineup and IMOP of all BMWs..
You may even spend more by modifying the 335i, than if you had just bought a M3
If you do modify it, you will waste your money and still have a 335i, with even lower residual value when you sell it.
I bought a base Vette and always wanted a Z06 after that....
When I bought my car this time I bought the top model...
Buy the M3...

Last edited by M3-S65; 08-29-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: Voiture du jour
Agreed about performance, but the trade-offs ? not feeling them.

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my 330 M-Sport (ZAM/ZHP) to an '08 M3. Rather than agreeing or disagreeing, I thought I would add my own flavour to this. A 335 is not in the picture, and besides, I detest turbos. Having said this, I find the economy of the M3 not all THAT different from the ZHP. Coming down from the cottage, cruising in economy mode, the 330 was sucking back about 8.9l/100. I tried the same experiment with the M3 and managed 9.4l/100 (.2 better than EPA). Get stuck in traffic, yes it sucks gas back, but again, not THAT much more, somewhere around 2l/100 KM. If you try to mash the throttle, it will mash your wallet, simple trade-off.

I find the ride a bit stiffer, but the seats are just SOOOO much more comfortable that there are no issues, and besides, with EDC it is largely controllable. Having said this, my preference is for a stiffer suspension anyway. The more comparable vehicle than the 335 is likely the 135 M Sport, which I also find to be a pocket rocket. Still, there's that turbo again. One extra piece to mess up. Mechanical simplicity is also why I chose a 6 speed over the DCT.

Now, let's see about a winter beater. My old 323i is on its last legs, and I don't think the M3 is a good candidate for salty, snowy, icy Canadian winters.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335xi
Wow, great post and great information. I have a 07 335xi, 6mt and Dinan Stage 2 software and intake. It is fun, but like a few have said, I am constantly longing for an M3 and hope one is in my near future!

Question, does anyone know if the M3 6MT and the 335 6MT are the same? I have issues (and apparently others do, too) with stubborn shifting between 1st and 2nd.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: Voiture du jour
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneal000 View Post
Question, does anyone know if the M3 6MT and the 335 6MT are the same? I have issues (and apparently others do, too) with stubborn shifting between 1st and 2nd.
I have no issues whatsoever and never have had any in any BMW. If I ever have to shift up to first, I tend to double-clutch, but even that probably isn't necessary. The ZHP's shifter was a *teeny* bit tighter, but then it's known to be extraordinarily good.

The normal 3 series E9x shifter "seems" a little long & sloppy. Maybe I'm just spoiled.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:54 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
I just noticed this ... OP claims this will be his "summer car" but insists upon ZCW ... ? Weird.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 M3
First off holy, this post has been through a couple of years. I don't remember if I updated this thread but I did end up going with a 2008 M3 E92. Got it from Illinois and brought it up to British Columbia. I got a smokin deal and love every minute in the car.

The M3 for me is an exceptional car, I haven't had a single problem with it since I bought it and it keeps on giving. Great ride, comfort and functionality for what I use it for. Turns heads in my town wherever I go. This year I am going to give the ol' girl some love with some tasteful upgrades, since shes remained stock for 2 years now.

So I guess I did answer the original posts question with "M3"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I just noticed this ... OP claims this will be his "summer car" but insists upon ZCW ... ? Weird.
I couldn't help but answer this question as it was the latest post but I drive the car May till October which is "summer" leather still gets a bit cool at night so I do like the bum warmers. Also for the girlfriend...always a different temperature than yourself.