Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Runflat spare

Just received a backup run flat tire and wheel from Tire Rack today for $347. Plan to carry it with me for long-distance trips. Seems to be cheap insurance.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
I concur.

I bought 4 sets of winter wheels/rubber RFT's and will bring along one of them on long road trips.
I will also bring along the jack from my truck and my torque wrench just in case.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 AM

Not sure if I will carry a jack & wrench or just rely on BMW Assist. Or just drive to a service facility on the flat.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto:
I would say to carry a jack. If you're going to carry the spare, you might as well carry the jack and not have to wait for BMW RSA.

2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i "Black Betty"
2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman "Penelope"
2011 BMW 328i "Heidi" (past)
Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
It seems like a good idea to just carry the jack and wrench and be totally self reliant. If you already have the spare the extra little bit isn't going to take up much more room and can probably get you back on the road quicker if the need arises.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto:
The X1 life gate should have a spot for a scissor jack and lug wrench.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekdbrich View Post
The X1 life gate should have a spot for a scissor jack and lug wrench.

Don't know that I would even know how to go about jacking up the X1.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=PowhatanDP;8485108]Don't know that I would even know how to go about jacking up the X1.

This will solve your problem. http://burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Spare and 'jack'

Maybe this should be standard equipment for every RFT-equipped BMW??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust-air-jack.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	454471  

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
Maybe this should be standard equipment for every RFT-equipped BMW??
That's pretty cool. I wonder how long it takes to inflate.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
[QUOTE=rdkind62;8485467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowhatanDP View Post
Don't know that I would even know how to go about jacking up the X1.

This will solve your problem. http://burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html
Or just cut out a piece of wood to fit the jack point and leave it in the storage tray in the trunk.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:49 PM
GTony

Mein Auto: BMW 2011.5 Sdrive20d
Quote:
Just received a backup run flat tire and wheel from Tire Rack today for $347. Plan to carry it with me for long-distance trips. Seems to be cheap insurance.

You haven't mentioned what Year/Model X1 you have and it's Wheel/Tyre size.
Is your backup the same as your original ones?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Not sure about the OP's tires, but that that's what I love about being able to get winter 17" rims and rubber when the OEM tires were 18".
The circumference of the wheels are practically the same.
So, the FTM sensor doesn't go off when I change from summer to winters.

I guess the idea of having a spare on long trips, is to slap on the spare in case of a puncture and then drive to the nearest tire shop to see if the tire can be repaired.

Of course if you are not on a long road and trip and just driving to your local beer store,
you just drive home on the flat and deal with it...at home.

I do love the concept of RFT's, but it would be nice if they weren't so expensive.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:58 PM

The spare tire without wheel was $211 delivered from Tire Rack - I thought that was pretty reasonable. It is the same 225/45R18 Continental ContiProContact SSR all season tire as I have on the X1 35i M Sport. The thought behind caring it on long trips is that it can be put on the vehicle for temporary use & if original tire cannot be repaired I would have a backup.

Last edited by PowhatanDP; 07-29-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:

space saver of full size
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 PM
GTony

Quote:
The spare tire without wheel was $211 delivered from Tire Rack - I thought that was pretty reasonable. It is the same 225/45R18 Continental ContiProContact SSR all season tire as I have on the X1 35i M Sport. The thought behind caring it on long trips is that it can be put on the vehicle for temporary use & if original tire cannot be repaired I would have a backup.
I like the idea that you wouldn't have to drive at 50mph for only 50 miles. Of course if the RFT couldn't be repaired you would still have to buy new RFT if you intended having a spare. In some rare cases people haven't been able to get a match and had to buy 2 different ones. RFT's have improved over time and are becoming easier to get.
Will try and keep what I'm doing, short as possible.
Circumstances - 3 small type person family. Country living. Longer travel distances and more chance of getting a flat. BMW Service is 6 hour round trip excluding service time. Dealer I got from is 10 hour round trip.
Original 17"with RFT's. Tread just about done after 35,000 Kms. and 2 have been repaired.
Got 18"wheels from USA and putting NON RFT's on.
Using one of the original wheel/tyre as a spare until I find a lighter wheel and non RFT to suit. Turn upside down to use wheel hole for storage. No rush yet.
Have old scissor jack. I think rated 750kg. Couldn't even lift the car with it. Got a 2000kg. Hydraulic Bottle Jack which fits in the rear boot hole, drivers side. My Digital Pump is in other side. Also Goo in case of 2 flats. Small person can easily use jack to lift and quickly lower car.
Got from Burger M/Sport BMW Jack Pad Adaptor for my trolley jack, fits perfectly. Now my bottle jack has about a 1'round rod that lifts the car. I made up a wooden piece the same as J/Pad Adaptor but thicker at bottom with hole to take round B/Jack rod.
BMW Dealer offered me Do Nut Spare for just under AUD$ 700 ex Germany. So am off D/Nut spare also I think you can only use it the same as a flat RFT. I have asked myself if it's impossible to get a new RFT on the weekend or night time, including having one repaired, WHERE after the D/Nut is used up, would I get a D/NUT TYRE.
Fortunately I can put just about any wheel/tyre (within specifications) because my sensors work off the ABS.
In conclusion I feel for any trip away a proper spare even if not as wide or the same height but similar running diameter is probably the safest/best way to weather it be a RFT or STD. Tyre.
Apologies for long, drawn out reply.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Not sure about the OP's tires, but that that's what I love about being able to get winter 17" rims and rubber when the OEM tires were 18".
The circumference of the wheels are practically the same.
So, the FTM sensor doesn't go off when I change from summer to winters.
If you put a full set of smaller diameters on how would the sensor know that your car is going slower.

The sensor works by noticing one or more tires turning at different rates, not whether they all are.

Right?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
If you put a full set of smaller diameters on how would the sensor know that your car is going slower.

The sensor works by noticing one or more tires turning at different rates, not whether they all are.

Right?
I'm not quite sure.
As far as I understood, when you reset the FTM sensor, it somehow reads the current circumference of the rubber.
Any change in this circumference, on any wheel(I think it compares the left to right side?), will then trigger the flat tire warning dash light.
Since the 17" wheel with 225/50 rubber has near the same circumference as an 18" wheel with 225/45 rubber, all is good. No change in the low tire warning, or speed.

Last edited by stonex1; 07-30-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 PM
GTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post

Right?
My system must be INITIALISED on the screen control display after you inflate all your tyres with the correct pressure. These current tyre pressures are stored as a reference for detection of a flat tyre.
The system does not measure the tyre pressures as such.
It detects a pressure loss on the basis of a comparison between the speeds at which the individual wheels rotate while the vehicle is in motion.
If a tyre looses pressure, its diameter changes. This in turn alters the rotational speed of the corresponding wheel. This is detected and reported as a flat tyre.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTony View Post
The system does not measure the tyre pressures as such.
It detects a pressure loss on the basis of a comparison between the speeds at which the individual wheels rotate while the vehicle is in motion.
If a tyre looses pressure, its diameter changes. This in turn alters the rotational speed of the corresponding wheel. This is detected and reported as a flat tyre.
Pretty sure that's not true. Some systems did work that way, but most today do actually measure the tire pressure. Doubt that system would work with Runflats. The sensors on the X1 are built into the valve stems. The speed sensing systems use the ABS sensor to detect speed differences.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
The speed sensing systems use the ABS sensor to detect speed differences.
Curious, anyone know where this sensor is? or what it looks like?
Old 08-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Curious, anyone know where this sensor is? or what it looks like?
It looks a bit like a small spark plug. It's mounted somewhere on each of the wheel hubs, usually behind the brake rotor. Look for the wire coming off the top.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:06 PM
GTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
Pretty sure that's not true. Some systems did work that way, but most today do actually measure the tire pressure. Doubt that system would work with Runflats. The sensors on the X1 are built into the valve stems. The speed sensing systems use the ABS sensor to detect speed differences.
Firstly I'm, a not mechanically minded old guy.
What I said is actually true and was quoted to the word from my Owners Hand Book.
You mention tyre pressure and speed differences. Isn't that what I was saying.
If you noticed my first long thread comments - 17'' RFT's, 35,000 Kms. I think that would indicate ours works with RFT's.
BMW here say our system ''uses what's already there''.
ABS is part of the DSC and the ABS Sensors and Wire sit beside the 4 Wheel Bearings.
It reads the speed of each Wheel Bearing as the wheels are rotating. If the diameter changes due to tyre loosing pressure, that will alter the tyre rotational and bearing speed, indicating a flat tyre.
This works when there is a 30% loss of air, so if 40psi it would indicate just under 30psi say 27psi, a flat tyre. Gives you a chance to pull over and if only a leak it can be pumped up if you carry a portable pump. This is what I had been doing with 2 of mine before I had them repaired.
You have different sensors to ours and that's causing confusion. Hope I've explained our system clearly.
Your Valve Stem Sensors are an optional extra here and are more accurate.
Cheers.