Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1967 Camaro Z28
2006 m5 blowing smoke bank one injectors have no pulse

i have a 2006 M5 E60 in my shop.

its blowing a blueish smoke out of both tailpipes with a strong gas smell with oil.
gas is mixing in with the oil. have done three oil changes in it. filter has tiny metal pieces all in it.

have tried a new ionic control module with no luck. it has all 10 new plugs and 1 new injector.
has misfire with cutoff on cylinders 1-5. bank 2 runs great and can hear injectors ticking. dont hear any ticking on bank 1 injectors. its just dumping fuel in to the throttle bodies.

keep in mind all this started the day after an oil change on it. used 9.8 quarts of 10w-60.
customer hasnt had it long as this was his first oil change with the car. He has extended warranty on the car but it doesnt cover anything ive done to it.

ANY help or insight on where to go next would be very appreciated
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Awesome....... This community is usually pretty good with offering help. Looks like i'm on my own with this one.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto:
Its your valve guide rings or your piston seals are worn out causing oil to leak into the engine. Or if it aas supercharged thats the only other thing i could think of, usually the blower is bad and needs to be repaced. It can damage your spark plugs and cause other problems dont drive it or hit the gas too much.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-07-2014, 07:21 AM

thanks chefevan. it turned out to be hydro-lock. caused by a leaking injector. the piston couldnt compress the gas and it bent the rod. i have pics of it. i wound up putting a new motor in the car. runs like new now.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Retired Fed

Mein Auto: 2006 M5 E60
So you could repair the defective parts, but instead put a new engine in it? How much was that and why?

M5Fed
Old 10-07-2014, 10:21 AM

We couldnt replace any parts. The hydro-lock caused the piston rod to bend and it scored the hell out of the chamber. No one here in georgia could bore that out and re-sleeve. He got a used motor to put in it for about 8,500. The labor to replace it and for me to put new seals on everything came out to just bout 45 hrs. I had it out and and back in within the week. I have the old motor here. Everything on it is still good, just the block is trashed. Unless anyone out there can bore it out and re-sleeve it. Its got 66k on the motor
Old 10-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Retired Fed

Still confused how all this happened right after an oil change, bet the owner is pissed as hell ! Hope he or she didn't just bought the car.

M5Fed
Old 10-07-2014, 12:14 PM

When he brought it in it had a MIL on and had bank one rich codes. I pointed out to him he had some leaking injector O-rings and needed all injectors on bank one. And had a breather hose from secondary air injection pump kinda rigged up to stay on His aftermarket insurance co. wouldn't cover injectors and thought he could get some more time out of them to give him time to save money for injectors. What happened didn't really correlate to an oil change just a freaky coincidence it happened a week later. And he did just buy the car back in April this year. It had already been to another shop for running rough and rich codes. He did plugs and coils there. That was right after he bought it. Then he brought it to me and we got it figured out and fixed. His insurance wouldnt cover any of it. Neither motor swap or the diag time. He is sueing his insurance co for all that. Overall though a pretty cool dude considering. We will have him as a customer for life more than likely.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Retired Fed

Wow just some bad luck I guess...

M5Fed