Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 AW E92 M3
Valve Gasket Covers

Hey all,

Went to a local BMW Dealership the other day because I ran over a screw (whoops) and was losing pressure in my tire. While I was there I asked them to check my bay for anything abnormal, since I had just recently purchased the car. I don't currently have tools, since I just got relocated, and they agreed to do it free of charge .

Anyways, they said everything looked good besides some minor paint corrosion, which I had already noticed in a low pri spot. They also mentioned I should get my Valve Covers / Gasket replaced, which they quoted me something like parts+7hours @ roughly $2100. Their reasoning was the small amount of oil leakage around the area. Which from my experience with engines was a normal amount, but to their credit I have never owned a BMW before.

I did a little research and the parts seem to vary in cost from $100-$500 at the most. Also, saw some DIY, but again I lack the proper tools.

Would it be worth me getting some tools and doing the job myself over a weekend, or paying the dealer or a shop a much more heft sum and possibly getting parts/labor warrantied.
I've read it is difficult because of removing or working around the valvetronic housing. I am a maintainer for Boeing aircraft and power plants (engines) are not my specialty, but I am good at following instructions and working with my hands.

Any of you do this maintenance upkeep recently and remember your experience?

I'll try and take some pictures if possible.

Last edited by ///Monty; 08-06-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Wow you are lucky they pointed it out and did it for free. It's against BMW NA's policy for the dealership service department to point out problems to be fixed for free under warranty. And a valve cover gasket needs to be a dripping leak for repair, not only a slight residue around the gasket.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 AW E92 M3
I agree. Maybe i didn't strike them as someone with little knowledge. However, that being said, my car is not under warranty