Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Kylamarie Kylamarie is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2007 X5$
Hello

Hello X5 community. I own a 2007 X5 and I'm happy to find out that this forum exist. I have a question and hope someone can help me. After 7 years of having the car I decided that it was time to replace the battery even though I'd never had a problem with it. I took it to the dealer and had a new battery installed. The following day I left for a long road trip and discovered the cruise control did not operate, the automatic lights did not work, it lost the time and date, the locking and unlocking system did not operate and the cd player did not work. Every time when I turned the engine off and came back a while later to start it back up, something else was not working properly. All of the above was intermittently. I took the car back to the dealer after our trip and now they are telling me that a sensor in the negative battery cable went bad, and that it has nothing to do with the replacement of the battery. I noticed that the negative terminal was dirty and that it had not been cleaned well after the new battery was installed. Has anyone in the forum had a similar problem? I would appreciate some information.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM
FredoinSF FredoinSF is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area and Reno
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,953
Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Sounds like poor workmanship, not surprising from a dealer unfortunately.
Honestly, if they've cleaned and properly reinstalled the cable and life is back to normal, treat it as bad service and plan on an alternative for the next time you need work done. If you have not had them complete the work and they are charging you an exorbitant amount of money, I would find an independent repair facility that specializes in BMW's. I am not sure where you are in CA but there are many of them throughout the state, most of them are very competent and do great work for less money than the dealership. The independents want to keep you happy cuz they have nothing to gain if you don't come back or trade the car in for a new one.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,098
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I shudder to think what that dealer has charged you....

There was a TSB or recall on this for some BMWs, however I dont think E70:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6964293

What EXACTLY are they saying is bad and what needs to be replaced???

How much was the battery, and how much for this new repair?

As mentioned above, time to find a BMW Indy shop.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Kylamarie Kylamarie is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2007 X5$
Battery over charging

Hi: The price of the battery was $ 447.26 because they gave me a 10% discount and the labor was $220.00. Now they just called me and said the replacement of the sensor in parts is $680. and labor $279. Im waiting for the service rep to talk to the manager to see if I can get some discount. They said the failure was a coincidence, " what a coincidence" ha!!
Thank you for your reply.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Kylamarie Kylamarie is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2007 X5$
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Sounds like poor workmanship, not surprising from a dealer unfortunately.
Honestly, if they've cleaned and properly reinstalled the cable and life is back to normal, treat it as bad service and plan on an alternative for the next time you need work done. If you have not had them complete the work and they are charging you an exorbitant amount of money, I would find an independent repair facility that specializes in BMW's. I am not sure where you are in CA but there are many of them throughout the state, most of them are very competent and do great work for less money than the dealership. The independents want to keep you happy cuz they have nothing to gain if you don't come back or trade the car in for a new one.
I will for shura like to find a good tech in the alameda,contra costa, Solano co. If you know of one please let me know
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 PM
FredoinSF FredoinSF is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area and Reno
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,953
Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Best is Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley. Not the cheapest, but they know their stuff and workmanship / professionalism is top notch.
Edge Motor Works in Dublin has done decent work for me.
I use both depending on what I need done. For troubleshooting electronics, I would go directly to Bavarian Professionals.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Kylamarie Kylamarie is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2007 X5$
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Best is Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley. Not the cheapest, but they know their stuff and workmanship / professionalism is top notch.
Edge Motor Works in Dublin has done decent work for me.
I use both depending on what I need done. For troubleshooting electronics, I would go directly to Bavarian Professionals.


Thank you so much I really appreciate the info.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Kylamarie Kylamarie is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2007 X5$
Thank you so much I really appreciate the info.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,098
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylamarie View Post
Hi: The price of the battery was $ 447.26 because they gave me a 10% discount and the labor was $220.00. Now they just called me and said the replacement of the sensor in parts is $680. and labor $279. Im waiting for the service rep to talk to the manager to see if I can get some discount. They said the failure was a coincidence, " what a coincidence" ha!!
Thank you for your reply.
Wow. thats a 15 minute job for the battery- sounds like they charged 2 hours....clearly they know what kind of owner you are.

Here is the part, in my estimation:

http://www.getbmwparts.com/shoppingc...6searchtext%3D

$175

They know you are totally at their mercy and all they need to do is bleed you. Once you asked for a discount it is shooting fish in the barrel. So many people int he bay area who know nothing about cars, parts...they just steal.

I may be totally wrong, but until you have a PARTS LIST, I wouldnt trust them.

In my opinion, if you have to you should TOW it to another shop.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Kylamarie Kylamarie is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2007 X5$
Thanks, I checked a couple of shops and including labor their cost were way cheaper. For sure they lost another customer. I wonder when the manufacturer is going to wise up and stop the dealerships that give them a bad name.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 PM
FredoinSF FredoinSF is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area and Reno
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,953
Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Which dealership? Given your location I would guess it starts with a 'W"... Not that the other ones are much better.
Having owned BMW's anywhere from brand new to old and very high mileage over many years, I only go to the dealer while under warranty. I have Bavarian Professionals do a thorough inspection just before the warranty expires and have whatever they find fixed at the dealer. After that I go to them for most things I cannot do or no longer want to do myself.
A little story to illustrate why I recommend them. We once had a check engine light on the MINI. They checked for codes, and it turns out there was service bulletin stating the suspect part was under extended coverage. They printed the bulletin and sent me to the dealer where I had the work done for free. BavPros could have just done the work and charged me for parts and labor, but they did the honest thing.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-07-2014, 07:21 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,098
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylamarie View Post
Thanks, I checked a couple of shops and including labor their cost were way cheaper. For sure they lost another customer. I wonder when the manufacturer is going to wise up and stop the dealerships that give them a bad name.
Well, you found this forum now... so that's good news!

BMWNA hates it when customers are abused. But there is little they can do. Dealerships have franchise agreements that define power and control- some, like Lexus, were able to start fresh, look ahead and built in solid customer service controls. Older ones, that have existed for 40 years, have had to evolve over time...it is no where as customer focused as others are.... Powerful Bay area dealers dont care much if people whinge.

For example, that negative cable is $100 cost for them, 30 minutes to install- they pay $25 labor. They were going to charge you $950 for something that cost them $125. They dont care about low satisfaction ratings or missed customer feedback bonuses if they are vacuuming money from the pockets of well heeled yuppies and business folks that cant be bothered to shop.

BMWNA will make $100 from that cable- if you buy it from Weatherford for $680 or from getbmwparts for $175. BMWNA makes nothing on the labor. So from a "does BMW want to loose the business" point of view, they dont care.

I dont know what you do, but if a mechanic let you look over his shoulder while he undid the two bolts, few clips, and replaced that cable, you'd be pretty ticked off....

Do an image search in google for "E70 Battery Cable"...

GL
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-07-2014, 11:13 PM
henrycyao henrycyao is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 407
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Well, you found this forum now... so that's good news!

BMWNA hates it when customers are abused. But there is little they can do. Dealerships have franchise agreements that define power and control- some, like Lexus, were able to start fresh, look ahead and built in solid customer service controls. Older ones, that have existed for 40 years, have had to evolve over time...it is no where as customer focused as others are.... Powerful Bay area dealers dont care much if people whinge.

For example, that negative cable is $100 cost for them, 30 minutes to install- they pay $25 labor. They were going to charge you $950 for something that cost them $125. They dont care about low satisfaction ratings or missed customer feedback bonuses if they are vacuuming money from the pockets of well heeled yuppies and business folks that cant be bothered to shop.

BMWNA will make $100 from that cable- if you buy it from Weatherford for $680 or from getbmwparts for $175. BMWNA makes nothing on the labor. So from a "does BMW want to loose the business" point of view, they dont care.

I dont know what you do, but if a mechanic let you look over his shoulder while he undid the two bolts, few clips, and replaced that cable, you'd be pretty ticked off....

Do an image search in google for "E70 Battery Cable"...

GL
It is not just BMW dealership that will abuse customer. I took my Honda Accord to dealership for a recall. The SA tries to tell me my suspension has cracks and need to be replaced. I took it to my trusted mechanics. He told me that is just fine. The car drove fine even after 5 years of so called crack suspension. Unfortunately, you can't completely avoid dealership.

Sigh, I did make a mistake to go to BMW dealership to fix a mistake of mine. I learned my lesson and will not repeat again.
__________________
2012 BMW X5 Vermilion Red Xdrive35d with Premium Package, 3rd Row Seats, and Adaptive Drive



Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:25 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,098
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^agreed

It is more of an organizational thing, driven by the dealership employees/management than it is one marque or the other....

One of the most shocking things to people is that a service advisor can simply make up the prices he charges you to whatever he thinks you'll pay. I sat at a desk with a dealer buddy and overheard the next SA telling a customer, "yeah, its the fan speed control in the dash- thats a major job, we need to tear the dash apart- so it will be 200 for the part and 4 hours - total is 660". My eyes shot up, my SA looked at me and apologetically shrugged. (His eyes were saying "dude, dont say anything...")

(The beauty of this tactic is if the customer says "Wow, can I get a break" the SA can go through some play acting, look like a hero and come back with "BMW will goodwill 50% of the labor"...and he is STILL getting $400 for a job that costs 50 and takes 15 minutes. Oh, and he knows they'll be back for another bleeding...)

I will again agree this is not unique to any marque. Indeed an indy can do this as well, and many do- the high volume places where you have busy professionals with one car (San Jose, SF, etc) they will try and sell you stuff you dont need, or pad an estimate.... But once you've established yourself as a customer who does your homework, you are more likely to be treated straight.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms