Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Dealer called in for vehicle check.

Just got a call from the dealer where i bought my X35D from and they want me to bring the vehicle in for "vehicle check".She was saying that my vehicle's radio system has sent a signal that it has passed 80000 Kms and need check.The cost is $210.

Wondering what they do to "check" the vehicle. My vehicle is CPO and thinking if i wont bring it in for the check,will it effect my CPO warranty?Also its due for oil change in coming 1500kms which i am planing to do it myself.I think if i buy oil and filter from the dealer,it shouldn't effect my warranty?

As a new BMW owner i need advice please...thanks

Last edited by ninja_zx11; 07-29-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Migrated to the X5 SAV

Mein Auto: '07 X5, '00 528i
Sounds like BS. Since when is a radio a transmitter? it's a receiver.

But, has the X5 passed the mileage they stated?

I've never heard of this type of money grab.

X5 4.8i
354/7 Titanium Silver Metallic / Nevada Black Leather Interior
HUD, NAV. Panoramic SunRoof, 3rd Row Seats
Premium, Cold Weather, Rear Climate, Sport Pkgs
Adaptive Fixing System, CargoBay Roller Blind
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 528JD View Post

I've never heard of this type of money grab.

Well I've heard of this type of money grab...and yes it is BS.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks guys ..yes i thought so.all money grab.Same stealership wanted 600~700 just to change the SCR valve which took me 45 mins.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535Xd, 2012 X5d
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Just got a call from the dealer where i bought my X35D from and they want me to bring the vehicle in for "vehicle check".She was saying that my vehicle's radio system has sent a signal that it has passed 80000 Kms and need check.The cost is $210.

Wondering what they do to "check" the vehicle. My vehicle is CPO and thinking if i wont bring it in for the check,will it effect my CPO warranty?Also its due for oil change in coming 1500kms which i am planing to do it myself.I think if i buy oil and filter from the dealer,it shouldn't effect my warranty?

As a new BMW owner i need advice please...thanks
It's not entirely BS.

Does your X5 Xdrive35D have an "SOS" button up above where the map lights and moonroof controls are? If so, your car CAN transmit via radio. The system is BMW's equivalent of GM's On-Star system and is capable of notifying your dealer that your car is due for service. That doesn't mean you absolutely HAVE to bring it to the dealer though.

By federal law (Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975), you DO NOT void any warranties by doing maintenance yourself. IOW, all of the maintenance the car will ever need over its entire lifetime from the day it leaves the factory until it's someday in the bone yard you CAN do yourself and not void any warranty. You also don't HAVE to have the dealer do all the free maintenance during the original factory warranty period to keep the warranty valid. You can DIY if you don't trust dealer service. I know of many VW TDI owners (myself included) who DIY'd during the warranty period because VW service totally $uck$ and their care-free maintenance during the warranty period really isn't CARE-free.

How ever you approach maintenance matters, proper maintenance still needs be done. Also for any maintenance that absolutely MUST be done by a dealer and DIY or taking it to a qualified independent mechanic is not an option, by law the work has to be done for free.

The catch is if you DIY or bring it to an independent the maintenance needs to be done properly and it's a good idea save all receipts for parts and fluids and document what you did and when. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to deny warranty coverage should you have a problem and want a fix covered under warranty, the burden of proof is on them to prove that something you did or neglected to do for maintenance caused the problem you're trying get fixed.

The bottom line is you don't absolutely have to bring to the dealer if you're going to DIY all maintenance. It would be a good idea to bring it to them if you're already using them for all normal maintenance. It is a bit of a money grab for them as all they do is a quick vehicle inspection of the major systems. If nothing else it may be worth it to have peace of mind knowing that everything is AOK with the car.

Good luck.

Last edited by n1das; 07-30-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
It's not entirely BS.

Does your X5 Xdrive35D have an "SOS" button up above where the map lights and moonroof controls are? If so, your car CAN transmit via radio. The system is BMW's equivalent of GM's On-Star system and is capable of notifying your dealer that your car is due for service. That doesn't mean you absolutely HAVE to bring it to the dealer though.

By federal law (Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975), you DO NOT void any warranties by doing maintenance yourself. IOW, all of the maintenance the car will ever need over its entire lifetime from the day it leaves the factory until it's someday in the bone yard you CAN do yourself and not void any warranty. You also don't HAVE to have the dealer do all the free maintenance during the original factory warranty period to keep the warranty valid. You can DIY if you don't trust dealer service. I know of many VW TDI owners (myself included) who DIY'd during the warranty period because VW service totally $uck$ and their care-free maintenance during the warranty period really isn't CARE-free.

How ever you approach maintenance matters, proper maintenance still needs be done. Also for any maintenance that absolutely MUST be done by a dealer and DIY or taking it to a qualified independent mechanic is not an option, by law the work has to be done for free.

The catch is if you DIY or bring it to an independent the maintenance needs to be done properly and it's a good idea save all receipts for parts and fluids and document what you did and when. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to deny warranty coverage should you have a problem and want a fix covered under warranty, the burden of proof is on them to prove that something you did or neglected to do for maintenance caused the problem you're trying get fixed.

The bottom line is you don't absolutely have to bring to the dealer if you're going to DIY all maintenance. It would be a good idea to bring it to them if you're already using them for all normal maintenance. It is a bit of a money grab for them as all they do is a quick vehicle inspection of the major systems. If nothing else it may be worth it to have peace of mind knowing that everything is AOK with the car.

Good luck.
Thanks n1das.I appreciate your feedback.Yes i have SOS button and your explanation makes sense.But i wont be bringing it for the "check" because when i asked them what they would be doing and they said they will be scanning the controls( which i just did myself with rheingold) and will perform a safety check (which same dealer performed as a courtesy check 2 months ago when my X5 was in for warranty repair and they pointed out my thrust bushings were leaking which i got it fixed.) Yes i will keep the receipts of oil and filter for future.
May be its good idea for a non DIY person to take it for safety check.Even in the idrive menu somewhere it says about some sort of vehicle check.I asked you guys here because i don't have any previous experience with BMW and wanted to make sure.But i always did maintenance work on my jetta TDI from wheel bearings to oil change.That TDI with VE engine was a solid car and i kept that car for 7 years and never went to the mechanic not even once.I just changed oil and drove.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
I think the vehicle check you're referencing to is the one with the car on the lift: I get that one roughly every 20K-25K miles. When that comes up in my X5 35d I do the following:
1) replace fuel filter
2) replace engine air filter
3) replace front wiper blades
4) inspect cabin filters and replace as needed
5) lubricate door hinges and grease the door brakes
6) lubricate the pano roof (my wife hates that part of the job...)

What are the leaking thrust bushings you're referencing to?

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 07-30-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
I think the vehicle check you're referencing to is the one with the car on the lift: I get that one roughly every 20K-25K miles. When that comes up in my X5 35d I do the following:
1) replace fuel filter

And that is one step above the dealer. I searched on the internet. It seemed like dealer only do a visual inspection and does not replace anything unless they found a problem.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
1) replace fuel filter

Good to know lp!! I was mentioning front suspension thrust rod bushings and they were just started to leak as they are oil filled i guess.That work was done under CPO.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

What are you guys talking about?!?!??

There is NO **BMW MANDATED** service that will come from the dealer calling you WITHOUT also a dashboard CBS (condition based service) indicator....

All *required* BMW services will set a CBS flag.

There is an "inspection" timer that can be set, but this is NOT 'MAINTENANCE'. If the dealer set this, or the dealer has a system that tells them to call you for some BS inspection at x,000 miles it is NOT a "BMW Service"

It is designed to trick fearful owners that are intimidated by 'car stuff' into spending money.

Lets not confuse all these things, and further confuse owners when the dealer calls for a safety inspection....
Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
What are you guys talking about?!?!??

There is NO **BMW MANDATED** service that will come from the dealer calling you WITHOUT also a dashboard CBS (condition based service) indicator....

All *required* BMW services will set a CBS flag.

There is an "inspection" timer that can be set, but this is NOT 'MAINTENANCE'. If the dealer set this, or the dealer has a system that tells them to call you for some BS inspection at x,000 miles it is NOT a "BMW Service"

It is designed to trick fearful owners that are intimidated by 'car stuff' into spending money.

Lets not confuse all these things, and further confuse owners when the dealer calls for a safety inspection....
A couple of things though:
1) the OP is from Canada and despite what some may think it is a separate country with its own laws. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 does not apply, but there may or may not have a similar law...
2) there is Automatic BMW Teleservice system that can be setup so the car communicates to the dealer when a service is due or close to be due and the dealership can proactively contact the owner. That would be page 237 of the owners manual.

Let's keep calm and carry on...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 AM

Check under Enabled Assists services in the "BMW Service settings" what are the services active under your account. You may have Auto Request in the list.

If you go under Info Sources -> Service Info -> Service Requirements there's Auto Request that shows last time it a transmission was made.

I think this function is not active in my car or it may be a localized function disabled in the US.

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
A couple of things though:
1) the OP is from Canada and despite what some may think it is a separate country with its own laws. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 does not apply, but there may or may not have a similar law...
2) there is Automatic BMW Teleservice system that can be setup so the car communicates to the dealer when a service is due or close to be due and the dealership can proactively contact the owner. That would be page 237 of the owners manual.

Let's keep calm and carry on...

But can the car tell the dealer there is 'service REQUIRED'...yet not set any onboard service indicators?

Sure I've gotten calls from the dealer when the car needed brakes, oil, etc. but the cars CBS was coincident with the telematics notice to the dealer.

Back to the OPs issue: is there some required maintenance service that doesn't show up on the car but must be done by the dealer?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Yes ard, n1das and lp you all guys were right.I checked properly my idrive functions. while starting the car,i noticed 'service ' came on my instrument cluster for may be just 2-3 secs.Then i checked my idrive and i found service message.Picture attached. So it means my X5 indeed sent dealer message.

@ lp: should i perform all the maintenance suggested in your list?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	455620  

Last edited by ninja_zx11; 07-30-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
@ lp: should i perform all the maintenance suggested in your list?
That is just what I do. I needed a reminder for the "every other oil change" sort of things but can never remember if a particular oil change is the other oil change... I figured a air filter and fuel filter every 20K-25K seems appropriate and it's about every 9 months. I get both filter on Amazon: the air filter $18 and the fuel filter is $27 which is negligible. The cabin filter I really take a look at it, blow off the dirt with the air compressor and put it back. It probably get change every 40K miles but it depends a lot on the air quality of where you live. The wiper blades are normally toasted: it doesn't rain much around here, but I do use the windshield washer with a certain frequency. The rest is just lubrication which is the once a year chores to keep moving parts healthy...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-08-2014, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
Quote:
That is just what I do. I needed a reminder for the "every other oil change" sort of things but can never remember if a particular oil change is the other oil change... I figured a air filter and fuel filter every 20K-25K seems appropriate and it's about every 9 months. I get both filter on Amazon: the air filter $18 and the fuel filter is $27 which is negligible. The cabin filter I really take a look at it, blow off the dirt with the air compressor and put it back. It probably get change every 40K miles but it depends a lot on the air quality of where you live. The wiper blades are normally toasted: it doesn't rain much around here, but I do use the windshield washer with a certain frequency. The rest is just lubrication which is the once a year chores to keep moving parts healthy...
How often do you need to change the fuel filter on the X5d?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Don View Post
How often do you need to change the fuel filter on the X5d?

BMW states every third oil change.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app