Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 07-21-2014, 01:08 PM
"You chose wisely..."

Mein Auto: 1995 530i
Automatic Shift Handle Missing Spring

In my E34 M60 automatic, the spring that keeps the shifting indent in place is missing. If you look at item #10 and #11 in this link at RealOEM, the lever on the knob, (10) is suppose to have some sort of spring that keeps the pull rod, (11) locked into the gear shifting lug. Mine is missing.
Is it normally located under the lever itself or does a spring sit on top of the pull rod? And if so, do I need to replace the entire shift handle or can I just get a spring from the hardware store? I think the spring is suppose to be located under the lever, but the pin that holds the lever in place is press fit.
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
I see no spring in that diagram, and know for a fact there is not one on mine.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 PM
"You chose wisely..."

I know, that's why I am beginning to think there is a spring in the handle itself. Something has to keep the lever in the extended position that requires a squeeze to get the lock rod out of detent.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Nothin like an E34

No, the button returns from the weight of the pull rod. If the button is not returning put something in there to lube it up and clean it out. That was one of the resins for me taking it off a month back. It was full of dirt, and my whole shifter assembly had broken loose of the 4 bolts.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM
"You chose wisely..."

Really? That seems a bit odd... That pull rod is just a light weight piece of hard plastic. Surely not enough weight to pull the handle lever down. You don't feel any spring tension in your lever?
Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Nothin like an E34

Not the slightest, and i have two spares and neither had or have a spring on them.

Gotta love an E34!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 PM
"You chose wisely..."

Ok, I'll give it a good cleaning and then some graphite and see if that works. Just seems like an odd design to not have some sort of tension spring in there. I wonder if the lock rod is suppose to be magnetized to keep it in the detent position.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:11 PM
"You chose wisely..."

There is definitely suppose to be a spring under the handle lever, I pulled the pin that keeps the lever in place and there is obvious locating spots for a small spring...
Old 07-22-2014, 04:32 PM
"You chose wisely..."

SOLVED! - Automatic Shift Handle Missing Spring

Ok, after some head scratching, I found a solution for anyone else who might have a similar problem with their shift handle not releasing or locking into a gear select detent.

1) Remove the shift handle, (obviously). Using a #20 torx tip, unscrew the screw holding the handle in place. If the head of the screw is stripped, (as mine was by an overzealous prior owner), replace it with a M4x8, if you use anything longer, the lock rod will not move.

2) The pin that holds the shift lever in place can be removed with a pair of long-nose pliers, the longer/thinner the better. Once the pin is removed, move the lever into a full open position.

3) When it came to replacing the spring, I tried two different ones. I first tried a 1/2 x 1 x .042 but found it to be a bit too stiff so I went to a 3/8 x 3/4 x .032 and found it to be a perfect fit and tension for firm shift detent. I got mine from the hardware store under the manufacture name Century Spring Corp. part #C-566.

4) Reinstall the lever pin, this is tricky but once you get the pin started in the lever, use a flat screwdriver to press the pin home.

5) Reinstall the shift handle and enjoy.

Sorry, but no pics, however I do have extras of these springs if anyone needs one. PM me your address and I'll send it off to you.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: e23, e32, e34, e39
On my sons 525' it's just a piece of dense foam, not a metal spring. I know this because it crumbled to little bits and got all over the shift cover. He now has no spring tension.
Same stuff used for decades as my e23' e28 and e32 use it. I just couldn't find a part number, yet.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Nothin like an E34

Quote:
Originally Posted by m735is View Post
On my sons 525' it's just a piece of dense foam, not a metal spring. I know this because it crumbled to little bits and got all over the shift cover. He now has no spring tension.
Same stuff used for decades as my e23' e28 and e32 use it. I just couldn't find a part number, yet.
Maybe that is what had mine gunked up. I have never seen a spring in the handles, and that is justified by the part diagram.

Gotta love an E34!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 08-09-2014, 11:36 AM
"You chose wisely..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by m735is View Post
Ahh, that could be what my original issue was, I had absolutely no resistance in my lever and no foam either. The spring replacement was an easy and cheap solution.