Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Success in finding correct obd wifi adapter.

Just would like to share my purchase of working cheap wifi obd adapter for my E70.

I was looking for a wifi adapter to use with bmwhat and dash commander iphone app and bought one from amazon for something like 30$ but when it arrived after waiting a 7-10 days,that thing didn't work.So after searching a lot,i found that bmwhat needs 1.5 Version of communication software in the wifi adapter to work correctly.So by chance i found this ebay item no. 201070235219 wifi adapter for around $19 and i can confirm it works good with bmwhat and dash commander.It was shipped from USA but its made in china. Hope it will help someone to look for the cheap working adapter without wasting time.

another note is that i have no connection with this seller.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Nice job, great to hear, wish this was posted a week ago before I orderd the recomended one by bmwhat thats already enroute..
Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 AM

Here is the screenshot of DashCommand on iphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	162
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	436267  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Here is the screenshot of DashCommand on iphone.
Very cool app and OBD wireless !

Question: will this work on an iPad without cell ? In other words will the OBD wireless transmitter work on a Wi Fi only iPad ?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Very cool app and OBD wireless !

Question: will this work on an iPad without cell ? In other words will the OBD wireless transmitter work on a Wi Fi only iPad ?
I think it will definitely work as it has nothing to do with cellular connection.just needs wifi.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Cool, I just bought the ELM327 WiFi Wireless OBDII OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool on eBay!
Thanks so much!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 50i
Thank you! Ordered as well!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-07-2014, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Thanks everybody,
got it, it works. There are millions apps for iPhones and androids, what would you recommend?
Preferably free or not very expensive.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex800st View Post
Thanks everybody,
got it, it works. There are millions apps for iPhones and androids, what would you recommend?
Preferably free or not very expensive.
I bought BMWHAT for my iphone which is quite nice and it cost me around 50$.With bmwhat you can scan all the modules like a factory bmw software.Only Android version of bmwhat has diesel DPF functions.Author was saying that those functions will be added to iphone version soon.

My iphone is jailbroken so i tested "free" version of dashcommand app which is nice too.It has gauge display as i pictured it above in my previous posts.dashcommand is only good for gauge display and basic engine scaning.BMWHAT is the proper app i would suggest you.There may be other good ones but i am just aware of these 2.Hope it will help you.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Thank you!
Am I correct that for $50 for BMWHAT I will be able to do some basic coding, unlike $10 DashCommand - which is good only for reading error codes and cool gauges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
I bought BMWHAT for my iphone which is quite nice and it cost me around 50$.With bmwhat you can scan all the modules like a factory bmw software.Only Android version of bmwhat has diesel DPF functions.Author was saying that those functions will be added to iphone version soon.

My iphone is jailbroken so i tested "free" version of dashcommand app which is nice too.It has gauge display as i pictured it above in my previous posts.dashcommand is only good for gauge display and basic engine scaning.BMWHAT is the proper app i would suggest you.There may be other good ones but i am just aware of these 2.Hope it will help you.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Ja mei!

Mein Auto: X5
Yes, you can indeed code a few things with bmwhat.

Sent from BMW Assist in the ditch
Old 06-14-2014, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Anyone using the Vgate Wifii OBD II Device?

I got this Vgate Wifi OBD unit (this week) because it goes to sleep in low power mode if the activity to the OBD 2 port stops which seemed like a great feature. Only problem is I can't seem to get it to wake up without unplugging it which is not what I wanted. I thought it would sleep and auto wake so I could just start the app and go.

Anyone using this device? Does it auto wake for you?

There's no power switch on this model.

Works great with Torque Power App. Using it in my 530i E39.

Thanks in advance.

Phil in NH

Last edited by Phil_in_NH; 06-14-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Solution to waking up Vgate WIFI OBD 2 Scanner

Problem: The latest Vgate WIFI OBD 2 scanner (~$29 on eBay) has a power saving mode (sleeps after one hour of no activity) but no way to wake it up w/o unplugging it and reinserting.

Solution: Install a switch on the 12V DC power pin (Pin 16) in the OBD 2 socket. This way the socket and device don't take a beating everyday. Solution is also good for anyone who wants to power down their OBD 2 scanner to avoid draining the battery.

I saw this solution on another car forum site and decided to implement it for my BMW E39. I spliced a switch on PIN 16 (12V DC) to allow for an easy restart on the device, it goes into power saving mode after one hour and I didn't want to have to yank it out every morning to use my Android w/ Torque App. On power up, it advertises the SSID and allows the Android to connect.

I got the switch at Radio Shack ($4.49 in the parts bin). It has a built in LED which is nice.

Parts:
  1. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3097458
  2. Molex power connects
  3. 18-20 gauge wire
  4. Shrink wrap tubing
  5. Solder
  6. Crimp on connectors (and splice crimp connectors to avoid soldering)
  7. Tie wraps

Here's the basic instructions:
  • Study the BMW OBD 2 pin out (connector has pin numbers on it) - http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectroni...c_pinout.shtml
  • Disconnect the positive terminal on the battery.
  • Pop out the OBD 2 panel and separate the case and OBD 2 socket (not hard, just take your time.) Panel comes out easy and connect pops apart.
  • Drill out panel to accept switch (I used the switch with the 12mm cut out, fit perfectly). Ther's extra space on one side of the panel.
  • Cut the wire for PIN 16 (Battery 12V DC).
  • Splice in the switch. I used molex computer power connectors so I could bypass the switch later if needed. I soldered in the wires on the splices to the OBD 12V wires.
  • Tie the third leg on the switch to chassis ground. I slipped it into PIN 4 (Ground) on the OBD 2 connector and tie wrapped it in place.
  • I used shrink wrap to insulated everything so I wouldn't get a short later.

Came out very neat. See photos below.

Now an OBD 2 scanner reset it quick and painless.

Thanks,

Phil in NH

Old 08-09-2014, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i
Hi, can anyone please tell me if you code the disclaimer startup screen with the BMWhat app?

Belly.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 320i, X3 and X5
If you have a jailbroken iphone, video enable, snap in adapter you can get this from the WIFI adapter... ahhhh you can even get a TEMPERATURE gauge!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	457602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	457603  

Last edited by mgarciah; 08-09-2014 at 09:29 PM.