Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 4d x5
2010 x5 4.0d LCD screen black!!!

Looking at getting a 2010 4.0 d with 68000 ks.
Car is in perfect condition inside and out, drives really nice and like new
Always been serviced from Doncaster BMW where it was brought brand new.so has full service history!
It was only serviced 2000 is ago, but when we went to test drive the car, the nav screen did not come on? It was just black! The radio was working but the screen was black,
Does anyone know the problem?
Also how much does it cost for a per purchase inspection at bmtech canterberry ??
Thanx
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X6
68000km is is nothing for an X5. Just get the dealer to fix the screen. There is an iDrive setting which turns it off. Not sure how much a pre purchase would be but money well spent. Good luck.

Last edited by bkhk; 08-09-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^Agree.

DO NOT accept the car until the nav is working perfectly- DO NOT think that "oh the people that inspected it said it needs a nav update for $200 so the seller knocked 200 off" is a good plan.

Although I have prices for all USA dealerships and most of Australia, I dont have canterberry's prices handy...BUT I will guess $200 is fair for a VERY detailed and thorough WRITTEN inspection- mechanical, body, paint, etc

Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 AM

But does anyone know why it would not be working? Is it a minor or major problem?
Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbof View Post
But does anyone know why it would not be working? Is it a minor or major problem?
Pause for a moment and THINK.

Can you SERIOUSLY EXPECT that anyone can know what is wrong with a car from what you posted? "nav screen is black, radio plays".... a 10 year old child would know that it is impossible to know if it is minor or major.

It could be a 50 cent fuse or a $5000 nav computer and screen.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:40 AM

All I'm asking for is help and a bit of info, I have googled it and there are meny reasons for why its not working! Idrive screens can be turned off aswell, this is new to me, so this could be a reason, just looking for people who have faced the same problem? If your going to be rude then I'm not after your help.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

if it were possible to help you we would.

It is not possible- you arent asking 'what might be wrong?" YOU ARE ASKING IS IT MAJOR OR MINOR.

There is a spectrum of things it MIGHT be, but since it is not your car guessing isnt useful to you. In fact people that read this thread and DONT reply are thinking the same thing: "why give this guy 'what ifs' and other scenarios.... the bottom line HAS TO BE 'get it fixed before you buy;"

Guessing and filling your head with what it might be does YOU no good- everyone knows this...we are trying to protect you from yourself.

I know it sounds dicky, but if you think about it- and understand that 'we' have read hundreds of thousands of posts, and have dealt with perhaps 1000 situations precisely like this (potential buyer trying to decide on buying a car with an existing problem) you will appreciate we've heard this tune before.....

Last edited by ard; 08-10-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:34 PM

so we had the car looked at by bmtech and no surprise here! the car came out a lemon!
so this is what he said..
the car was in the best condition he has ever seen for a second hand car, the panel, body, interior, brought new from doncaster bmw and always serviced there for the little ks that it had done for the year of the car. BUT.......
the car had a MAJOR electrical fault, rear and front light, nav screen and idrive. he could not tell us why this was or how it might have happened, but the cost would be in the thousands.
this only lead me to think, how can a car thats only 3.5 years old have such a major problem?
he told me, people need to understand, that cars are not built like they use to be, and newer cars seem to not last as long as they should, when bying a bmw, you have to know that major costs come with fixing them, as its just not a tail light globe that needs replacing, its the whole system that makes them work.
its sad thats bmw builds them like this, as if they know things will go wrong and will cost the owner thousands to fix them. and then put a massive $100,000 price tag on them??
my tiny 2008 mazda 3 has never had any fault, or problem (thankgod) maybe bmws do not deserve the luxury tag they have..
will be looking at getting another car
Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, there you go. Glad you had an expert look at it.

I know you are new here, but there really isnt a large problem of newer BMWs falling apart and costing owners thousands. Yes, occasionally you get the nightmare car/situation. And if you cannot do work yourself, or some dealer or indy gets there hooks into you it can be painful when even minor issues come up.

Finally, some mechanics spinning a story of 'these modern BMWs just fall apart as an explanation for this one car seems odd. He coudnt tell you what it was. Instead of saying "yeah, I dont know I am not really that good at electrical issues nor knowledgeable with BMW INPA and DIS programming" he decided to go to a long standing refrain of 'old guy mechanics": "oh these newfangled computer based cars are just not built reliably". (This has been oft repeated since...oh, the 1940s.)

Look, one thing he was correct about- THAT car was a loser. and OCCASIONALLY you can run into issues that are just horrific no matter which one you buy. And if I am being honest, on average the BMW **WILL** cot you more than a toyota or a holden or maybe a mazda...

and there is the crux of the issue..which do you WANT to drive?

Good luck in the search-
Old 08-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbof View Post
... so this is what he said... the car was in the best condition he has ever seen for a second hand car, the panel, body, interior, brought new from doncaster bmw and always serviced there for the little ks that it had done for the year of the car. BUT.......
the car had a MAJOR electrical fault, rear and front light, nav screen and idrive. he could not tell us why this was or how it might have happened, but the cost would be in the thousands...
A near perfect car, but condemned for reasons that he can't explain ...?

Any chance it is now sitting in his driveway, ready to be sold at a handsome profit to the next owner?
BMWCCA #20645
Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
I knew I had seen iDrive reset procedure on 6 series forum. Looked it up and found following:
On the older CCC it was it was "Eject+Power button" to reset

On the newer CIC ( like F10, E90 LCI and F30) its "Hold down the Volume(power) button for 25 Seconds" to reset the system
That would be my the first thing I would try. It's probably just a loose cable, particularly if everything else checks out.