Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-08-2014, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 540i
weird vibration

I bought a '95 540i last November and when I started driving on the freeway I would always get this shaking in the steering wheel. My mech replaced much of the front end and made sure the rest was on point, and the steering heel shaking stopped. Then I noticed that at about 45-50 mph the rest of the car would shake a bit, not as bad, but noticeable. I got four new tires, and it still didn't go away. My mech figured then that there could be deterioration in the differential. Put it up on the rack and the differential looked fine, but the gumbo is rotting out, so he said he could (and should) replace that, but not sure if this will stop the shaking. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Shake

Sounds like the front end steering wheel stopped shaking altogether, correct. Well "IF" the tires are good and balanced correctly, and the rims are strait, then I would check "U" joints, (or CV if you like). The differential would make noise if out of whack and grinding, very rare IMHO. Worn rear bushings or CV joints or maybe warped brake rotors, good luck with your ride
Old 08-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '95 540i, '87 325ic
One for the gumbo file! That's a joke, son.

Actually, the term is guibo, also known as a flex disk. If it's crumbling, it should be replaced ASAP, because significant damage can result if it fails completely.

Vibration from the guibo is most noticeable under acceleration. The driveshaft center bearing and support can also produce some vibration when the assembly goes bad. The general practice is to replace the guibo and the center bearing assembly at the same time. USE QUALITY PARTS! Lemforder is the preferred guibo brand.

You replaced the tires, but are the wheels true? Swap the wheels from axle to axle to see if the source of vibration moves.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Guibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
One for the gumbo file! That's a joke, son.

Actually, the term is guibo, also known as a flex disk. If it's crumbling, it should be replaced ASAP, because significant damage can result if it fails completely.

Vibration from the guibo is most noticeable under acceleration. The driveshaft center bearing and support can also produce some vibration when the assembly goes bad. The general practice is to replace the guibo and the center bearing assembly at the same time. USE QUALITY PARTS! Lemforder is the preferred guibo brand.

You replaced the tires, but are the wheels true? Swap the wheels from axle to axle to see if the source of vibration moves.
This might help:

Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Every Ricers Nemesis

Mein Auto: 87 528e, 94 540i/6
Another thing to check would be tranny and engine mounts. I have odd vibrations around 30-40mph because of the once oil soaked engine mounts that I havnt bothered changing yet, everything else is all good.

99 328is Avus blue sold
87 528e with 455k miles and still running hard from death
94 540i swapped to 6 speed awesomeness

Most of what you need to know for a manual conversion
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=768139
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Excellent suggestions all....we'll replace the gumbo first and see how that shakes out (natch)...Then while its on the rack we could have a look at the bushings, though I thought he mentioned everything was in order there, the tires are new, and the rims true. As for the brakes the rotors are new as well. Hopefully that will do it.

Thaks again folks!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 AM

Not gumbo...it's that silly autocorrect. Drives me nuts.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:41 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Hello,

We carry the OEM disc for $76.79 or the Meyle flex disc for $50.35 for your vehicle.

Here is a link to our site if you are still in the market for one:
AutohausAZ - Flex disc

Disclaimer: Make sure to check the year and model of the vehicle before placing the order.