Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Diesel smell after shutdown

I'm wondering if others smell it: the place it's stronger is right around the base of the windshield on the driver side.

There's no smell with the engine running neither outside nor under the hood.

With the engine off under the hood I only smell it right around the grill that covers the brake booster and reservoir.

The only thing I can think of is some exhaust from the EGRs traveling backwards after the engine turns off.

Ideas? Anyone else noticing anything similar?

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2014, 10:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Just to be precise: I'm talking diesel exhaust smell, not diesel fuel smell

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Anything related to provent?I remember you installed around that area.But then you would smell crankcase fumes not diesel exhaust.

I had diesel exhaust smell and it was coming from leaking egr throttle body.But it used to come only during first start up on cold mornings.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:22 PM

I used to have the smell before the ProVent too and this is definitely exhaust: crankcase fumes smell different.

It is very subtle but diesel exhaust smell is pungent enough that my OCD notice it

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 08-10-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:31 PM

Do you think it could be turbo wastegate. Heard that its normal for the exhaust to leak through wastegate mechanism but very little.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X5 35D, 03 530i Sport
There was a recall for this. I took mine in and they replaced an EGR mounting bracket.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalika View Post
There was a recall for this. I took mine in and they replaced an EGR mounting bracket.
Anybody has more info on this bulletin?

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to vetaldj
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
I had same smell so I called to my dealer to schedule apt to check it out. After I explain my issues was told about that bracket. After check they told me that EGR cooler was bad too. Bracket was repalced under recall and EGR cooler was replaced under my CPO warranty free of charge. No smell since then.

Sorry, no much of detail on bulletin but just my experience to resolve this.

Be prepared to stay without your car for day or two (took 2 days to diagnose and 2 days to install new stuff when it arrived from Germany).

BMWCCA Member # 447308

Last edited by vetaldj; 08-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetaldj View Post
and EGR cooler was replaced under my CPO warranty free of charge. No smell since then.
Did you have to pay the 50$ deductible for replacement under CPO?
Shouldn't have paid.

As per California law, your vehicle should have been repaired for any emissions defects free of charge if under 7yrs/70K miles.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to vetaldj
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
I did not paid anything even though I did it in Nebraska, not in California (right before 3 days relocation trip to California ) . Dealer just checked that I have CPO and told me that everything covered and no payment/deductible due.

I was suprised but gladly agreed

BMWCCA Member # 447308

Last edited by vetaldj; 08-11-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
Anybody has more info on this bulletin?
I don't have any exact info on it but I can only add my experience that is the same. I took the car to the dealer and they said there was a recall on the EGR bracket to replace it because it cracks and then diesel exhaust smell can enter the cabin or smell it outside.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Don View Post
I don't have any exact info on it but I can only add my experience that is the same. I took the car to the dealer and they said there was a recall on the EGR bracket to replace it because it cracks and then diesel exhaust smell can enter the cabin or smell it outside.
Thanks for the comment.

My EGR cooler was replaced under emission warranty soon after I bought the car: you can clearly see here where it was leaking.

After they replaced the cooler the bulk of the smell went away but there was still an occasional diesel exhaust smell around the front passenger side. When I replaced the thermostat it turned out the bolts from the EGR cooler to the manifold were loose. After that all the smell was gone for quite some time, then the new on I'm deal with now appeared.

Soot and the pungent diesel smell are great leak tracer and I carefully looked using mirror and flash light and there is no soot deposit around the EGR cooler. There is also no smell coming from there so I doubt it has to do with the EGR cooler. I still would like to find out more about this bracket: even if I had warranty I prefer diagnose the problem myself before bring it in since I hate dealing with runarounds and BS...

I much rather prefer say "here's the SIB, here's the diagnosis from the SIB, look at my car, see there, please fix". Any help in tracing down this recalled bracket and what and where the associated leak is would be great.

For now all I can say is that the front of the engine, around the EGR cooler, the EGR valve, and the throttle plate has no smell, the passenger side where the turbos are has no smell. The smell is clearly in the rear driver side of the engine. It smells like diesel exhaust and at this point I'm not ready to say it's the ProVent.

I did however noticed that rubbing my finger on the rubber grommet around the MAP turned out slightly black. I couldn't tell if it was black from the rubber or black from soot, but it cost $5 which I can trow at the problem. I suspect I may have disturbed that area while I was looking at how to install the ProVent: I can't really recall when was the first time I noticed but I may have very well started when I started tinkering in that general area. With that I have the excuse to remove the MAP and clean it off...

Again if anyone has any info on this EGR bracket it would be very much appreciated.

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 08-12-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 PM

Surprisingly the dealer had one of the grommet in stock so on my home I picket it up.

Got home and after removing the airbox is it clear that there is a leak in that general area. Here's how the back of the airbox looked:

I removed the MAP and the grommet that clearly stretched (left is the new one, right is the old one):

Again it could very well be the result of me tinkering in that general area; I'll see tomorrow if the smell is gone or not but now the MAP sits much more snug.

When installing these rubber grommets or other rubber parts around the intake is a good idea to coat it with a bit of Sil-Glyde or similar rubber lubricants (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...351_0434860703)

In the meantime I found the mysterious EGR bracket bulletin; I'll post about it in a separate thread...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
I did however noticed that rubbing my finger on the rubber grommet around the MAP turned out slightly black.
Do you mean MAP by manifold air pressure sensor?
Thanks for sharing!!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Do you mean MAP by manifold air pressure sensor?
Thanks for sharing!!
Yes, it's in the top back right side of the intake manifold

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Replacing the rubber grommet took care of most of the smell, but I still notice some. After removing the airbox again I can smell the exhaust in the general area around the the swirl tracks of cylinder 4-5-6. It's very faint and actually have not noticed and soot deposit around there.

In any case I found this article on how to track boost leaks: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/bo...ms-how-to-fix/

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Sports Wagon
No diesel exhaust odors, here. NADA NONE. My Mercedes E320CDI was driving me crazy about diesel odors but the BMW is providing stellar odor control. There is a small accumulation of soot around the larger turbo, probably leakage around the wastegate control arm. That's the only leakage I have ever seen. Man this car is great.