Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 07-31-2014, 01:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750i
Help!! Can't export car...

Hello!

Last tuesday I went down to Mercedes dealership in Fort Lauderdale and wanted to order a 2015 Mercedes GL63 AMG. I want to buy the car and send it to my home country as a 50 year gift for my father and I was told by the salesman that no Mercedes, BMW's, Porche's & Range Rovers can be exported outside of the U.S. within 5 or 1 week of sale date. He told me that the car needs to be registered here in the U.S. for a minimum of 5 months and then I can export it. I was skeptical because I have never heard such thing and a friend of mine just exported a Lexus LX570. Moreover I went to Mercedes dealership in Pompano beach and the salesman told me the same thing but he said the minimum is 1 year!!
I wanted to know if someone ever exported a brand new car outside of the U.S. and how was the process? Any thoughts about this? Any experiences on that matter?

Thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2014, 02:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI
You can do it. It's just most dealers frown upon it. Your best bet is to buy out of state. Do not tell them what you're doing. Have them send the car with the mso. Then find a shipping company to handle transport. Most of the time these cars go for 3-4 times the amount here. I've done a few cars for people. And it's always trial and error. Most of the time when you live in california I they won't sell it to you. Because they know what is going on. You just need to be a little creative. I don't think you need to wait to export. But I do know the car needs to be under 700 miles. Sorry if I'm jumping all over the place. There's a lot that goes into it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfmade View Post
You can do it. It's just most dealers frown upon it. Your best bet is to buy out of state. Do not tell them what you're doing. Have them send the car with the mso. Then find a shipping company to handle transport. Most of the time these cars go for 3-4 times the amount here. I've done a few cars for people. And it's always trial and error. Most of the time when you live in california I they won't sell it to you. Because they know what is going on. You just need to be a little creative. I don't think you need to wait to export. But I do know the car needs to be under 700 miles. Sorry if I'm jumping all over the place. There's a lot that goes into it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
The cars you sent were brand new? I remember the salesman saying that if I try to send the car overseas before the 5 months period it will be held in the port. I found that statement to be a little sketchy but I have never done that before so just want to make sure that it can be done. I guess the car will have less than 700 miles because I am making a special order.
So if the car has more than 700 miles it can't be exported? I'm confused!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Most people just export the cars for profit. Perhaps exporting as a gift is an issue?

Just buy the car, drive it around for a few months, then export it. Since it's to your father, I'm sure he won't mind that it's used. If you want to export immediately, then a used one may not be an issue.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 07-31-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Did you check out the government website regarding car export? They have tons of information on the Canadian website, so I think the US will have some info as well.

AFAIK, the car need to be registered at least once before export. Otherwise people will by buying brand new, never registered luxury vehicles in the US and ship to Asian market where they are sold almost four times the MSRP here.

Sent from Raj's Kia

The grocery getter
Old 07-31-2014, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750Li
How about taking European delivery and drive it to your father?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI
The cars were new. If you buy and register the car then you must pay sales tax. If you buy out of your home state and they send an mso then you get around the sales tax if you export immediately. I know Im all over the place, but its really a pain more than anything. If you dont mind paying the sales tax just buy the car and arrange shipping.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Can't do that, or, you can, but it violates the agreement signed to have the car shipped back to the US, I believe there is the VAT tax due if it doesn't leave Europe within 45 days?

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
The car is to be delivered in Africa. So there's no way it can be driven there!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep View Post
Hello!

Last tuesday I went down to Mercedes dealership in Fort Lauderdale and wanted to order a 2015 Mercedes GL63 AMG. I want to buy the car and send it to my home country as a 50 year gift for my father and I was told by the salesman that no Mercedes, BMW's, Porche's & Range Rovers can be exported outside of the U.S. within 5 or 1 week of sale date. He told me that the car needs to be registered here in the U.S. for a minimum of 5 months and then I can export it. I was skeptical because I have never heard such thing and a friend of mine just exported a Lexus LX570. Moreover I went to Mercedes dealership in Pompano beach and the salesman told me the same thing but he said the minimum is 1 year!!
I wanted to know if someone ever exported a brand new car outside of the U.S. and how was the process? Any thoughts about this? Any experiences on that matter?

Thanks!!
The manufacturers know there is a massive price difference between the US/European markets and that of the "developing" world. They put these protocols into effect to protect the dealers over there from losing sales, and they can get in trouble because it looks like they're trying to circumvent import taxes for sales. If the car is illegally exported, they will definitely not service it/possibly void the warranty/call the local authorities. Definitely a gamble.

I've seen on here people talking about exporting the new X5 to china (prc) because of the massive import taxes they incur, IIRC the price is something like 2-4 times the sticker here in the US. Whether or not it's true, I remember reading on here that when the new X5 came out, BMW made customers sign agreements not to ship it overseas otherwise they'll face litigation.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 08-01-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 740Li (F02)
from what i know, buy the car, register, store for a month until papers are complete, then export using a cargo forwarder.

is it possible to export a brandnew car from the US? YES how? not sure with exact steps.
12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Si4
Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
The car is to be delivered in Africa.

Whereabouts in Africa?

Sent from Raj's Kia

The grocery getter
Old 08-01-2014, 01:17 PM
CABimmerNation

Mein Auto: 2010 750i M Sport
Interesting article about exporting cars...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmul...hicle-exports/
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Slower Traffic Move Right

Mein Auto: 2009 750i (F01)
Came here expecting some sort of forum scam a la "Nigerian Prince needing to send monies bla bla bla"...

Just do as already suggested: register the car, drive it around, and then ship it in 5-6 months time. Maybe you can use the time to make a scrapbook of everywhere the car has been in the US and add some sentimental value to the gift...?

1/4 Mile: 13.370 @ 102.44 mph on A/S RFTs
Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 740Li (F02)
I bought my RR Evoque brandnew in the US, stored for 1.5months while waiting for title, then exported to my home country still unused. Did it 2 years ago, is it possible now? No idea.
12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Si4

Last edited by bruno787; 08-02-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:21 PM
CABimmerNation

Mein Auto: 2010 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B.V. View Post
Came here expecting some sort of forum scam a la "Nigerian Prince needing to send monies bla bla bla"...

Just do as already suggested: register the car, drive it around, and then ship it in 5-6 months time. Maybe you can use the time to make a scrapbook of everywhere the car has been in the US and add some sentimental value to the gift...?
I think the main goal was to avoid that part.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABimmerNation View Post
I think the main goal was to avoid that part.
I thought it was exporting the car to his home country, in which case I see the registration in the US as a necessary hurdle. Still cheaper than buying the car over there...

Old 08-12-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B.V. View Post
I thought it was exporting the car to his home country, in which case I see the registration in the US as a necessary hurdle. Still cheaper than buying the car over there...
Well, my big concern was that whenever you buy a brand new car here in U.S. to export overseas you wouldn't need to pay taxes. But even so, which is not a big of a problem, I want to buy it and export it myself within 1 month from buying it, and the salesman told me it would be held here in the port because the car hasn't been registered for more than 5 months!!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Well, my big concern was that whenever you buy a brand new car here in U.S. to export overseas you wouldn't need to pay taxes. But even so, which is not a big of a problem, I want to buy it and export it myself within 1 month from buying it, and the salesman told me it would be held here in the port because the car hasn't been registered for more than 5 months!!
I get where you're coming from. Allow me to clarify the situation, based on my personal knowledge of the subject.

From my time working for a major German manufacturer (unnamed), selling their cars in Los Angeles, I dealt with questions like this one frequently. The standard answer was always: "The port/customs won't let you." Internally, it was explained to me that the port might not actually have any issue with the car being exported, however if the manufacturer were to catch wind of it or find out (which they inevitably would), the car would then be "black flagged" in the service system. Effectively, any of the official service centers abroad would refuse to honor any sort of warranty claims.

Now this probably may not matter to you, as gifting a vehicle is proof enough of financial means to cover any repairs. Revisiting the main point of taking on this whole endeavor, which is saving money by buying the car stateside, then it quickly becomes clear that the most economical and practical route this is not.

In the name of science: I would however, be interested in seeing how much it actually WOULD save in the long run (factoring in possible repairs and usually factory addressed recalls and maintenance).