Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 x35d
Great tire/wheel deal - how much should I offer?

I'm the person who posted a question recently about how to get low-cost set of tires/wheels. Thank you for all the replies.

Thanks to one of the search ideas someone mentioned, I found an ad: it sounds perfect.. someone apparently took the wheels/tires off his X5 after using them for just 2 weeks and is selling them. The size is just what I need 255/55R18

He says they were used for 2 weeks and are like new. I assume that means I don't really need to worry about checkign the tread is the same on all of them.

So, he is asking $480 for wheels+tires. Here are the photos he posted:
http://images.craigslist.org/01616_4...Wn_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/00y0y_i...t3_600x450.jpg

Does it look a good deal to you?

All I really need is the tires. He is willing to accept an offer on just the tires. If I buy the whole thing, I'd want to sell the wheels. How much could I sell the wheels for alone (is there even much demand for such things? Most people need tires, not original wheels, right?)

Is there any risk of damaging the tires when taking them off/on.. ie should I just keep them on the wheels? I imagine there's no such risk, with a proper tire shop?

In closing, can someone give me a suggestion for how much a fair offer would be for just the tires in this case, given he wants $480 for it all, and I just want the tires.

Thank you thank you!
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
If I remember the rims right, these are the older X5 wheels not the E70. I'm not sure they would fit: I lost track of the different center bores BMW has...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 PM

Yes I hadn't thought about that.. duh. Here is the E53 - it looks more like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X5_%28E53%29

If it's not from a brand new car, I wonder how come they're only 2 weeks old. I guess I should ask.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 PM

I have a follow-up simple question: if I change buy these and put them on my rims.. do I need any kind of TPMS service pack or something like that? or can they just re-use the TPMS devices on my car (the reason I ask is that when I had a puncture repaired, I had to buy a special TPMS service pack, and it was hard to find the right part in stock)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiture5 View Post
Yes I hadn't thought about that.. duh. Here is the E53 - it looks more like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X5_%28E53%29

If it's not from a brand new car, I wonder how come they're only 2 weeks old. I guess I should ask.
That's not reliable: each model comes with a moltitude of different rim styles.

Here's a resource you can use: http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/?felge=1070. They look like Style 69 from the older X5. You don't find a style liking like those under the E70... Since you only need the tires you may not care, but if you resell the rims those are E53, not E70

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Bore diameter and offsets are different.
I had the exact same rims on my 2002 E53.

I would pass - too old of a design unless you want to mess with spacers & hub centric adapter.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 AM

Am I correct that even though the rims are not worth getting, the tires should be completely fine to use on my car: all that matters is the dimensions which are apparently 255/55R18 ?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:19 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Re-using the tires should be fine, provided that:

1. this is a brand you can live with until your lease runs out?
2. you didn't say if these are Run Flat Tires: your lease return MUST be equipped with RFT!
3. If these are not RFT, you will be faced with finding RFT again in the future and the whole cycle starts over again ... mounting, dis-mounting, balancing, exchanging TPMS and associated costs
4. These tires MUST have the right load capacity. Look for it on the side wall, near the size. something like 109V
5. If these tires meet all of the above criteria, they have a value of between $50 to $75 per tire ... (not counting the cost of dis-mounting, remounting and balancing of course!)

As far as the wheels: they are non staggered style 69 from an e53. They have the correct bolt pattern (5 x 120mm), but the center bore is 72.56mm. The e70 CB is 74.1mm. They can be used on the e70, but must be bored out by a machine shop. If after the lease is over and you want to sell them, an e53 user can still use them with a simple centering ring to bring it from 74.1 to 72.56, readily available on eBay. These wheels have some desirability, if straight, round and true and not heavily scraped and curb rashed. Probably worth something in the order of $75 to $100 per wheel (with 72.56 or 74.1 CB). The wheels are not staggered and as such also fit other car makes, such as certain Honda models. They look good on Honda Odyssey's.

My recommendation: If the tires are RFT and have the correct load bearing, get them and sell the rims. You will incur a cost of swapping tires and re-balancing ... Otherwise, keep looking until you find the right RFT tire with enough tread left and the right load bearing to get you to the lease end.
BMWCCA #20645