Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M4
M4 Options - Questions

Hello all.

I am preparing to order my first BMW (M4!!!) and just thought I'd pick your brains about a couple options:

1. Is the Full Leather (dash wrapped) option worth the extra cost? Hard to tell without being able to see the car in person.

2. For those who have experienced it on other models is the Active Driving Assistant worth the cost? You can get the side and overhead view cameras separate (which I intend to do), but the rest of the features cannot be acquired individually. I'd like to have the blind spot detection because you never know if that might prevent a tragedy - speed limit info seems okay but not vital - and I have almost no use for lane departure.

Just curious to hear some thoughts on these options.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 M3 Coupe; '06 ML350
Option opinions

These are all personal choices, of course. I sprung for the Full Leather because the stitched dash alone is nearly worth it for me. Really upgrades the cockpit. Regarding the nannies, while I wouldn't mind blind spot detection, I skipped the package and just ordered the cameras separately.

2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 M-B ML350 - Arctic/Black/Satin Ash
Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I like the leather wrapped dash in the test cars I drove - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=776993

I would not personally spring for it, but it is very nice. I would get the cameras as a stand alone option. I found the other features to function poorly in aggressive Boston traffic. I have to say that while I think top view is extremely cool after the initial novelty wore off I stopped looking at it. I found my mirrors to be more effective in most cases. The one thing top view is great at is backing into a spot and ending up parallel to the parking lines. That was the only situation felt it was truly valuable as a parking aid for.

Tim
Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: Space Gray 335i Coupe
Lightbulb There's more to it than described.

There's a bit more to it than described. I'm thinking of it too. I do like the active braking. Of course the price is crazy. Just bought 34k suburu forester that has all this!

From BMW. Driving Assistance package.
The Driving Assistant package combines the camera-based systems Lane Departure Warning and Approach and Pedestrian Warning with City Brake Activation.
The Lane Departure Warning detects lane markings and alerts the driver to an unintentional lane change at speeds above approx. 70 km/h by means of vibrations in the steering wheel. The warning is not activated if the lane change is deliberate, that is, when the turn indicator has been activated.

Whereas the Approach Warning with City Brake Activation detects vehicles, the Pedestrian Warning with City Brake Activation reacts to pedestrians. If a vehicle ahead brakes heavily, the BMW responds immediately when the Approach Warning is activated. The system operates in steps. A warning symbol is first displayed, then the symbol begins blinking and an acoustic warning is emitted, and finally the brakes are lightly applied (when travelling at speeds under 60 km/h). The Pedestrian Warning operates at speeds between 10 and 60 km/h and emits a single-level warning in the event of acute danger. If the system warns of a potential collision, the brakes are simultaneously preconditioned for a faster response. In the event of an emergency, the system applies the brakes. This function can be limited by darkness and fog.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 AM

But I do love that Full leather !! But the price is nuts!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phear_me View Post
Hello all.

I am preparing to order my first BMW (M4!!!) and just thought I'd pick your brains about a couple options:

1. Is the Full Leather (dash wrapped) option worth the extra cost? Hard to tell without being able to see the car in person.

2. For those who have experienced it on other models is the Active Driving Assistant worth the cost? You can get the side and overhead view cameras separate (which I intend to do), but the rest of the features cannot be acquired individually. I'd like to have the blind spot detection because you never know if that might prevent a tragedy - speed limit info seems okay but not vital - and I have almost no use for lane departure.

Just curious to hear some thoughts on these options.

Thanks.
#2 is waste of money.
#1 is worth the money.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
^see I think the leather is a waste of money I have come to rely on the Driver assistance package very much and love the blind spot triangles.

whenever I have a loaner or drive a different car I'm looking for that help and its not to be found.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
As stated above, it's subjective but I went with the Executive pkg, it gave me extended leather and the backup camera and HUD, all of which I find essential, along with a few other things in the pkg that I could live without. Also I found the 19" to be a must have, fit the car much better in my opinion but if you plan to buy aftermarket(a cheaper route), then not needed and the 18" can be used as track or winter rims. The other biggies, CCBs or Lighting pkg and even Active Suspension, I felt all were nice additions but not essentials for me. The cost of options have a way of creeping up quickly to an already pricey sticker, so I had to exercise great restraint not to break the bank. But the best advice one can give you is to take the time to go a dealership and see some of these options for yourself, you never know what will float your boat or what will seem silly or not worth the extra cost. Good luck with it.

Last edited by daytrader; 08-06-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW in Oregon View Post
These are all personal choices, of course. I sprung for the Full Leather because the stitched dash alone is nearly worth it for me. Really upgrades the cockpit. Regarding the nannies, while I wouldn't mind blind spot detection, I skipped the package and just ordered the cameras separately.
I agree that dash is awesome!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: '01 M3 Coupe; '06 ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodog View Post
I agree that dash is awesome!
Regarding the cameras, I find the rear one not nearly as good as the one on my ML; the top view is good only for parking between lines; the front side cameras are of limited use.

2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 M-B ML350 - Arctic/Black/Satin Ash
Old 08-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Mein Auto: YMB F82 M4 and RR Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW in Oregon View Post
These are all personal choices, of course. I sprung for the Full Leather because the stitched dash alone is nearly worth it for me. Really upgrades the cockpit.
I wholeheartedly agree here. Full leather is worth it.