Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 328
Wheel and Tire Care Package

This is probably discussed some place...if so, please direct. If not, wondering if others are purchasing and for how much over three years?
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Mein Auto: YMB F82 M4 and RR Sport
No way! Pass on it. Save the cash.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Really? The dealer wasn't overselling - in fact he said i should pass on all of the other stuff, but this one he recommended.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird2345 View Post
Really? The dealer wasn't overselling - in fact he said i should pass on all of the other stuff, but this one he recommended.
'Insurances' are all risk mitigating tools. How many tires have you gone through due to blow-outs or defects on past vehicles?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Maybe 1... he just said these are different tires and the wheels, themselves are super expensive so... I hear you on the insurance stuff and typically when i have done them in the past they tend to be a waste.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Quote:
Maybe 1... he just said these are different tires and the wheels, themselves are super expensive so... I hear you on the insurance stuff and typically when i have done them in the past they tend to be a waste.
Ehhh, these are really no more or less expensive than the Michelin PS2's that came on the E9X M3 (..$375-500 a tire depending on where you're buying it from, and whether it's a front tire or rear tire).
Old 08-14-2014, 12:23 PM

Is it common for the wheels on these cars to break...the tires i get are not that much coin; but the wheels?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Quote:
Is it common for the wheels on these cars to break...the tires i get are not that much coin; but the wheels?
Not at all. I can't even remember ever hearing about a wheel breaking/cracking.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:51 PM

The coverage language in the document states "repair or replacement of wheels and tires damaged by road debris"...not sure what all falls into road debris.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Waste of money.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
It all depends on where you live and the condition of the roads, and the likelihood of sustaining rim damage. When I bought my 550 I was living in CT where there are lousy roads full of potholes, and had 2 tires replaced from pothole damage. I now moved to SoCal though, and I don't intend on getting it on my M4 next year.

Had I stayed in CT, I have no doubt I would have easily exceed the cost of the insurance with the replacement cost of tires by the end of my term.
ED Trip Report http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705892

Previous:
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi
Old 08-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Make sense... the roads around my area are pretty choppy, which is one reason i'm considering it. I don't think the package covers curb rash, but it sounds like i might damage the rim with the poor roads.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSoxFan View Post
It all depends on where you live and the condition of the roads, and the likelihood of sustaining rim damage. When I bought my 550 I was living in CT where there are lousy roads full of potholes, and had 2 tires replaced from pothole damage. I now moved to SoCal though, and I don't intend on getting it on my M4 next year.

Had I stayed in CT, I have no doubt I would have easily exceed the cost of the insurance with the replacement cost of tires by the end of my term.
No, it all depends what kind of a driver you are and how good your reflexes are.

I live in NYC, and I am on my 3rd M car and 4th BMW overall, that's 16 wheels across 4 cars, and I haven't even had a curb rash on any of my wheels, let alone cracks or blown out tires. You have to watch where you are going, keep your eyes on the road, and don't drive like the average American, then you'll be fine.

I watch all these people around me drive over potholes, bumps, rocks like they are just brand new tarmac. Then they complain about bubbles, cracked rims, and so on. Think about a sonar that scans the road conditions on a continuing basis, that's all you need.

Rim and tire insurance is the biggest rip off in the history of car buying.

- When you are going over bumps that are unavoidable, you slow down
- When you must drive over a pothole, you speed up (its better go over a hole faster than to go slower)
- When the road conditions gets worse (like bumpy etc), you put the car in sport+ so that there is less body roll. The more body roll the worse it is for wheels.

Just common sense. People driving in Europe don't have "wheel and tire" insurance. Please These are all man made BS things we have in America. Then again we get our drivers license by passing a 20 question BS test and a 10 minute driving exam. Take a look at how Germans get their drivers license and you'll understand why they don't need wheel and tire insurance.

Last edited by DerStig; 08-14-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
No, it all depends what kind of a driver you are and how good your reflexes are.

I live in NYC, and I am on my 3rd M car and 4th BMW overall, that's 16 wheels across 4 cars, and I haven't even had a curb rash on any of my wheels, let alone cracks or blown out tires. You have to watch where you are going, keep your eyes on the road, and don't drive like the average American, then you'll be fine.

I watch all these people around me drive over potholes, bumps, rocks like they are just brand new tarmac. Then they complain about bubbles, cracked rims, and so on. Think about a sonar that scans the road conditions on a continuing basis, that's all you need.

Rim and tire insurance is the biggest rip off in the history of car buying.

- When you are going over bumps that are unavoidable, you slow down
- When you must drive over a pothole, you speed up (its better go over a hole faster than to go slower)
- When the road conditions gets worse (like bumpy etc), you put the car in sport+ so that there is less body roll. The more body roll the worse it is for wheels.

Just common sense. People driving in Europe don't have "wheel and tire" insurance. Please These are all man made BS things we have in America. Then again we get our drivers license by passing a 20 question BS test and a 10 minute driving exam. Take a look at how Germans get their drivers license and you'll understand why they don't need wheel and tire insurance.
Well the second pothole that my car hit (my wife was driving the first time), it was a construction zone and I had 3 options...pothole, jersey barrier, or other jersey barrier...I took my chances with the pothole, and got a flat for my efforts.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter how good of a driver you are (or think you are) and how good your reflexes are.

For most people living in an area with bad roads, the insurance is a cost effective purchase.
ED Trip Report http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705892

Previous:
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi

Last edited by CTSoxFan; 08-14-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSoxFan View Post
Well the second pothole that my car hit (my wife was driving the first time), it was a construction zone and I had 3 options...pothole, jersey barrier, or other jersey barrier...I took my chances with the pothole, and got a flat for my efforts.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter how good of a driver you are (or think you are) and how good your reflexes are.

For most people living in an area with bad roads, the insurance is a cost effective purchase.
I always leave enough room in front of me in any road and never go fast if I cant see far enough. You were probably either too close to the guy in front of you or were going too fast for the road.

These types of encounters did happen to me in GSP in NJ so many times. Narrow 1 lane road in construction zone, no shoulder but I always managed to slow down, sometime to stand still (after turning on the hazards to signal the guy behind me to slow down).

You dont know me if my wife hits a pothole, her driving priviliges will be suspended!