Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Cant Back Up

Hello Friends,

Im back again with another problem...

Went to pick up some wine yesterday and when I got back in my car i shifted into reverse and didnt get the usual slight push. I then gave it a little gas and all that happened was the RPMs went up but the car stayed in its exact spot. I have hadno warning signs of trans problems and there is no trans light on.

I do however have a bad tcase actuator motor. Which im working on getting fixed.

Thoughts? Solutions?
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Do you have first gear?

On some off the older automatic gearboxes (~1998 ish), by continuously shifting from R into D and vice versa before the vehicle had stopped moving the force can snap a metal pipe that holds a cog in place in the gearbox; leaving you with no reverse and sometimes no first either.

The solution is a gearbox rebuild which is $1500 min. You might as well change the boost valve while you are in there too.

Google for BMW 5 series no reverse.

Last edited by joylove; 08-14-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Hello JoyLove,

I have a 2007 X3 about 110k miles.

I drove with the manual option and all 6 gears worked great. I did hear back from my mechanic and he had "good news" for me. He said its the solenoid in the trans. Parts and labor for the part and a oil fill will run me $650.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
$650 for an auto box rebuild is cheap.

Or is the manual being rebuilt?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:06 AM

Ended up coming out a little cheaper at $640. It is an auto, not sure what goes into replacing the solenoid in the trans but he did mention there was 3 guys working on it. Got her back yesterday working perfectly.