Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapsafari View Post
Thanks a pretty need ad. Had not seen it before. I like the part where he says "BMW has got a special spirit in it"
It really is. I wish I had gotten to meet him.

My first BMW was also a 1970's model.... A 1972 E12 520 that I bought while stationed in Germany. The car was an absolute blast to drive and I felt the same way about it as Murray did about his. I almost brought it back with me but there were just too many impediments to bringing a Grey Market BMW back to the states so I sold it to another soldier when I DEROS'd. Unfortunately I only have one picture of it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Germany Playground.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	388650  
Old 07-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3; E83 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Every time I hear somebody say not to own a BMW out of warranty I think of Murray.

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/5364

I didnt see your post until now. That's a very good advert. Thanks for sharing.

Quick update a year later. Still running strong. I've got a rough idle I'm chasing but it's tempermental. I am fairly certain it's going to be a vacuum leak somewhere along the PCV system so I'll order some parts and just replace it since it's not too difficult. The tilt feature on the rear glass panel quit functioning (finally) so I just disabled it.

I replaced the fluids in the diffs and transfer case all of which looked as expected. Also installed a new VC gasket since the old one had been through enough and started to drip oil on the EM. New NGK plugs at the same time and am averaging 26-27 MPG at 75 with the AC on.

The rear suspension is going to need some attention as I think the pig tails on the rear springs might be getting soft so some new bushings are probably also needed. Rear Tyre noise has increased but that is most likely just a product of a sagging right rear and there being a little but too much toe out due to the increased negative camber.

Odo just passed 262,000 miles yesterday and will have another 500 thrown on when I drive to Chicago this weekend to see the wife.

Last edited by iamjamen; 07-08-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Yes, if you have the service history, please post it as it could confirm for us what we think are trouble spots for the X3...
Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM
BMW FTW!

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Nice!

I just noticed on the pic you posted with the original window sticker, it say the car has leather seats and from the texture it looks the same as the seats in my 05 3.0i though mine don't feel like leather lol. More like plastic.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
That car definitely has leather seats.

BMW vinyl has different texture of material on the sides from the main seating surface, and that can always been noticed in a picture.

The piping in the vinyl seats doesn't stand out visibly like the reflective type with the leather seats.

That being said, BMW leather tends to be tougher or harder than in Japanese or domestic cars.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
Looking forward to your 300,000 mile update!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
Yes, if you have the service history, please post it as it could confirm for us what we think are trouble spots for the X3...
Anything major in that service history??
Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
Anything major in that service history??
Nope. plenty of maintenance inspections completed, oil and filter changes, brakes replaced, wiper blades replaced, steering and suspension checks, Sway Bar Link replacement, a few light accidents involving parked cars and animals, lots electrical system checks, a few alignments, tires every 50k.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Awesome.. mine only has 66k!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Alright, more updates:

1. Rough idle and lean codes were due to the oil return line from the oil separator to the dipstick being nearly destroyed from all of the oil and heat. It no longer had any strength nor ability to keep form so I am sure it was collapsing when the engine was on. I purchased a cold climate PCV kit and replaced all of the tubes, hoses, and oil separator so it should be good for at least another 50k miles.

2. I changed the transmission fluid and filter and I am glad I did. I thought that the trans was shifting a bit harder than it should and the new fluid has smoothed out that concern. The pan magnet was super furry and the fluid color was screaming for a change so I am glad that I did it.

3. I installed an OEM trailer hitch because I no longer have a tow vehicle to get any of my toys to the track and figured the X3 should be able to pull a 600 pound aluminum trailer and a 2000 lbs racecar with 300 pounds of gear and one extra 180 pound human. Round trip is less than 200 miles and it's over pretty flat land so I don't anticipate a problem. But it should be exciting!

4. Last but not least, I suspected the amplifying noise from the rear of the X3 was due to a driver side rear wheel bearing that had met its expiration date. Knowing that BMW didn't design the X3 with wheel bearing assemblies, I wasn't looking forward to potentially having to pull the entire trailing arm so that I could get it over to the press.

Well, I managed to replace the bearing in 1.5 hours from wheel off to wheel on, which I consider to be a pretty fast time considering it's the first time I have ever really worked on the rear suspension of any X3. I didn't have to pull the trailing arm. In fact, the only fastener I removed was for the lower damper to allow the suspension to go to full droop. This allowed me pull the axle out enough to get to the back of the wheel bearing through the knuckle which I then pushed out with a Snap-on air hammer. Reassembly was easy and before I knew it I was tightening the caliper bolts and throwing the wheel back on.

Here are some shots of the wheel bearing. The inner track of the outer race had some serious fretting. The color difference between the inner and outer balls really shows how much heat was building up on the worn side of the bearing.

And here's one just for fun. My friend took this picture the other night after southeastern Michigan was hit by a torrential downpour.

This is what that view usually looks like:

Last edited by iamjamen; 08-14-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
i pull a ton even on a sled trailer, and the 2.5 has no problem pulling out, it just doesnt like stopping so well.. so if you have trailer brakes i think youll be ok .

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"
Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
i pull a ton even on a sled trailer, and the 2.5 has no problem pulling out, it just doesnt like stopping so well.. so if you have trailer brakes i think youll be ok .
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 AM

Here are a few pictures of the OEM trailer hitch installed. 2005 X3s have a cut out panel in the bumper cover that minimizes the portion of the cover that you have to cut. However, the panel is rather large so I trimmed the panel so that it could be used after I installed the hitch. The electrical hookup is to the left of the receiver and covered up by a portion of that panel, which can easily be removed to provide access when necessary.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw x3
Ah, yes!

I'm belatedly catching up with your post, but interested because our 2005 X3 was purchased a few months before yours and it's identical. When we got it, it had only 51K miles so we're at the opposite end of the mileage longevity scale. It's interesting that people ask us if our car is one or two years old, a nice tribute to BMW's classic styling for that model year.

Only one notable incident in the two years since our purchase. This happened when I was driving 75 mph on a Phoenix freeway, "boxed in" by cars on both the driver and passenger sides. About 1/4 mile ahead of me a Rubbermaid trash can flew out of a landscaper's pickup truck. Collision was unavoidable. I got down to 40 mph before I connected with it. The X3 crunched the can under the right front wheel and threw it off the freeway like it was a hockey puck. In the process the car couldn't have deviated more than a degree or two from the line that I'd set it on (though I admit to having a really firm grip on the wheel at that point).

The X3 did incur a one-inch gash under the bumper.

Happy driving forever. I love my car. And I know you love yours too.