Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
2015 Q5 v X3

Hey forum!

New member here but certainly not new to car forums and vehicles. I would however be a new owner of a BMW vehicle. I just shopped, and leased with my girl, a new 3 series xdrive. I had never been a believer in BMW, but after driving it substantially, I have gown to love it and now get it, I guess.

I am in the market for an Audi Q5. But, after doing research, it looks like the X3 is ranked #1 in this segment by almost everyone everywhere. I have owned premium SUV's in the past, including the first gen RDX (not so premium) which was awesome to drive but short on lux, comfort, and MPG. I really want something with sporting intentions, which lead me to the Q5 sported out, or the X3 M Sport.

Basically it comes down to these two. I have driven both, but not an M Sport yet (trying to find a dealer with one).

I am open to all of your thoughts on this comparo. I searched the forum and read a lot of past reviews, but didn't see too much talk on the 2015 M Sport.

A big thing for me is seat comfort. I thought the regular X3 seats were not good and in fact uncomfortable. I could not picture buying this vehicle without the Sport seats, which unfortunately are only available in the M Sport line. Hence, the M Sport comparo.

I do love the Audi interior, seats, and looks - but feel as though it comes up short with options (altho looks a little cheaper). Thoughts on X drive vs Quattro (I do travel and live in the northeast and given our last few winters, this matters a lot to me), reliability, and really anything you might think would make this decision easier.

It does not come down to just $$. I shopped apples to apples and the BMW offered what seems a lot more equipment than the Audi for similar money. The Audi is also up for redesign and I will be buying, not leasing.

Loaded post, but please don't hold back, both seem to be great cars but would love some owner opinions.
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: Alpine White X3 28i
edit: nvm, posted in the other thread.

Last edited by IndyDog; 08-15-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: X3m, B8 Avant
Dislike the tiny nav in the Q5 unless they replaced it with a larger screen lately.
Q5 is probably due for a new model, X3 is only in its mid life.
SQ5 looks really nice especially the exhaust/rear end.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330 Ci
For what its worth, earlier this year we were in the market for a new family vehicle and as long time BMW owners, we naturally gravitated to the X3. We live in snow bound Indiana but travel back and forth to Florida 4 or 5 times a year. 19 hrs each way so driver comfort and fuel economy were both important. The X3 hit all our hot buttons as far as technology, smiles per mile, etc but at 6'5" I just could not find a driving position that was comfortable for me. Also, with the super long driving distances, we were set on a diesel and could not get any commitment from the dealer as to when they would be available and in what configuration.

Just for grins, the wife dragged me down to the local Audi dealer for some comparison shopping. We wound up looking at a Q5 and drove both dealers crazy as we went back and forth several times. Even though in my mind, it was consorting with the enemy, we wound up with a 2014 Q5 TDI and are quite pleased. We've had the car to Florida twice already and have put 15k miles on it since February! It is quite comfortable, very quiet, and the 3L turbo diesel is flat amazing. With cruise set at 75, on long trips we're just shy of 40 mpg. Plus, with almost 430 ft/lbs of torque, in traffic it feels like a rocket. It is the first new car we've had in several years where we have yet to find a defect or adjustment that needs to be made.

As a long time BMW aficionado, I feel guilty just driving the car and find my self longingly looking at every X3 that comes by as I do prefer the Bimmer styling execution. I miss the sportiness of the BMW as well. The Audi feels more like a well made Buick than anything German.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyrich View Post
As a long time BMW aficionado, I feel guilty just driving the car and find my self longingly looking at every X3 that comes by as I do prefer the Bimmer styling execution. I miss the sportiness of the BMW as well. The Audi feels more like a well made Buick than anything German.
As far as the German big 3, I would say the Q5 is somewhere in the middle, the X3 being more sporty and the ML350 being more comfortable.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xdrive28i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
As far as the German big 3, I would say the Q5 is somewhere in the middle, the X3 being more sporty and the ML350 being more comfortable.
That's a fair conclusion. Our ML350 is a comfortable highway cruiser. While not bad, it is not really agile nor overly fun to drive. It's a well constructed tank that has had zero issues in 9 months. The GLK compares more favorable to the X3 and Q5, while being a hair smaller than both. While not "fun" to drive, I'd say it was the "fun" car between it and our ML. It's back seat was just too tight for me, so it saw its way down the road.

Past BMWs:
2011 E70 xDrive50i
2006 E90 330xi
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast. View Post
Dislike the tiny nav in the Q5 unless they replaced it with a larger screen lately.
Q5 is probably due for a new model, X3 is only in its mid life.
SQ5 looks really nice especially the exhaust/rear end.
Q5 up for full redesign, slotted for release next year, although very little is known about it. I would guess it will get a popup nav like the rest of the lineup, maybe the new interior look from the Q3. I have heard there are some conclusions to draw based off the Q7 renderings. Not sure if that is good or bad. I suspect Audi is not going to mess with it that much given its success.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Here is what the next Q5 might look like:

Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM

I've seen that pic, and can't say I quite like the robot front end.