Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Active Hybrid 7 Thoughts

Hi All

I've been thinking about a 2012 Active Hybrid 7. The car looks pristine and car fax shows all maintenance completed on schedule by the dealer. The mileage is just under 13k. The dealer is asking $51k with the remaining factory maintenance and warranty packages till 2016.

My question is for those that own the car:
1.) How do you like the drive
2.) Due you notice a gas mileage difference with the hybrid motor coupled with the gas motor
3.) Does the price seem reasonable?
4.) Any issues i need to keep an eye out for

I have a 2005 645ci i've ready to flip and am curious about everyone's thoughts.

Thanks All
Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanra View Post
Hi All

I've been thinking about a 2012 Active Hybrid 7. The car looks pristine and car fax shows all maintenance completed on schedule by the dealer. The mileage is just under 13k. The dealer is asking $51k with the remaining factory maintenance and warranty packages till 2016.

2.) Due you notice a gas mileage difference with the hybrid motor coupled with the gas motor

I have a 2005 645ci i've ready to flip and am curious about everyone's thoughts.

Thanks All
There aren't too many owners of the AH7 here on the boards. But as a 2012 AH7 owner I can chime in.

1st, 51K for a 2 year old car with a sticker of about 100K shows you how deeply they depreciated. More so than a regular 2012. The reason for this is because the car is only going to return about 22-23 MPG. Nobody wants a hybrid with poor gas mileage. But 51K for a 100K car, that's a great value!

2nd, the 2012 has 455HP and 515 ft-lb of torque and an 8 speed transmission 0-60 in about 4.7 seconds. The car moves and I love it. The 2012 non-hybrid makes only 400 HP and has a 6 speed. It wasn't until 2013 that the 7 non-hybrid HP was upped to 445 and gained the 8 speed transmission. The newer 7 hybrid gets a 6 cylinder and larger electric motor but does not have the performance numbers of the 2012. People see the word Hybrid all over the car and think I'm a slow tree hugger then when I catch them at a red light and dust them the feeling is so nice :-)

3rd, the vehicle has the engine Start/Stop feature. Unlike the newer Bimmers there is no button to disable this feature. If it bugs you would need to put the transmission in manual shift mode to temporarily disable it. I hated this feature at first but got used to it.

4th, all Bimmers (well almost all) built after 2009 come with run flats. When I first drove the 2012 I hated it. My 2003 has a much better ride. I later found out that I had 2 bent rims and the PSI of all my tires was too high. Now that the rims are fixed and the PSI corrected the ride is very good, but still not as smooth as my 2003. I still think its the run flats and if you search the forums you will see many members replaced the run flats with regular tires. I believe that all the AH7 come with NON staggered rims. I personally don't like this because the rear tires are too skinny. I like the more aggressive look of wider tires. But I can always upgrade the rims later.

I purchased my 2012 in April of this year for 53K. There is a complete thread on my purchase if you search. I can tell you that these cars are selling for about 45K at auction so that gives you an idea of how much the dealer is marking up the car. You can get them for high 40s at non BMW dealers. CPO will run low to mid 50s.

I just took mine in for the first service since I owned it. Here is what was addressed:

Oil Consumption excessive. They performed a TSB to correct the issue. (This was actually done before I took ownership of the car) I am going through a quart of oil every 5000 miles. I am told that is excellent. In fact, the dealer is telling me that a quart every 1000 miles is considered normal which I think is bull. Search the threads for "high oil consumption" and you can read about the problems people are having with the twin turbo 8s.

Control Error under high acceleration. Basically my engine would just cut off under hard acceleration at high speed. This was traced to the fuel injectors, MAF sensor and 02 sensor. All 8 of my injectors have been replaced. The injectors are a known problem on this car. They will need to be replaced. Search the threads for "Fuel Injector Problems"

Wind noise from sunroof. They replaced the seal.
Random Audio cut outs. Software was updated via INPA.
Cup holder tabs broken off. Replaced the cup holder.
Remote control battery's replaced.
Rear AC bearings shot causing whining noise. They replaced the blower motor.
All repairs under warranty.
One last thought is that this is more complicated with the hybrid motor. There is a complete technical manual on the Internet that describes the details of the hybrid functions. When you look at that doc you will realize how much **** can go wrong with this car so owning it out of warranty just shouldn't happen.

What options are on the 7 you are looking at?

Jer

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM
new 2 BMW

Mein Auto: Ram SRT10
Quote:
Hi All

Thanks All
I just recently took the plunge on a 12 lease turn in AH7 also, and used Jerry as a sounding board

1 - drive is awesome - as Jerry stated the speed and power from these cars is amazing
2 - wife drives the car, with zero hwy, we avg 19 mpg, on the hwy on two long trips we avg 31 (which is better than BMW says the car should get)
3 - I bought mine from a local off lease only dealership (price fixed, this is our price, if you like it great, if you don't....well someone else will, have a good day) and paid $48,900 plus sales tax, no other fees aside from registration (my car too only had 13k on the odo)
4 - I already had to deal with the injectors being replaced, known issue for EVERYONE with this BMW V8 - all the 5 series with it and almost every single 7 series with it, they just have bad injectors, its not if they go bad, simply when they go (but being under warranty from factory was a big decision in my purchase)

You need to be aware that the batteries and charging system are 1 piece complete, there is no, oh the charging system needs a fix, or I need new batteries, and if you need that done out of warranty the parts are $13k

so plan on spending $5k for the BMW extended warranty, plan on it, cause I don't know any aftermarket that covers batteries in hybrids yet

you don't have to get it now, but you need to do it before your factory warranty runs out, so make sure you know your IN SERVICE date

car is awesome, there is not 1 thing that I would say to deter you from buying one, just know you are going to be in for service on those injectors and its going to take 2 days time, that is it

2012 ActiveHybrid 7
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM

Jerry 745LI and LGenF

Thanks so much for your great inputs. What you guys have conveyed to me will really help me decide if I want this car or not. The appeal of having a AH7 is nice, especially when I don't see many out on the road. Yet, the Charging system fix, injector issues and high oil consumption, not to mention any error messages that can appear seem a little nerve racking.
I can't believe that there are no aftermarket warranty that will cover that charging systems for these cars. Don't get me wrong I would definitely purchase the BMW extended warranty first but once that expires i could easily be S.O.L

Interestingly, I've owned my 645ci for 5 years now and it has never had an injector issue or an oil consumption issue. Between oil changes, my can never burn up any oil. But I've been through a slew of other issues.

Jerry 745Li, i need to check the car out in person to determine all the options that are available on it. I plan on doing that this weekend so will keep you posted.

I will say though, its a great looking 7.

Thanks for both your feedback and I'll keep you updated after my dealer visit and what my decision boils down to.

Cheers!!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 PM
new 2 BMW

Mein Auto: Ram SRT10
Quote:
Jerry 745LI and LGenF

Thanks so much for your great inputs. What you guys have conveyed to me will really help me decide if I want this car or not. The appeal of having a AH7 is nice, especially when I don't see many out on the road. Yet, the Charging system fix, injector issues and high oil consumption, not to mention any error messages that can appear seem a little nerve racking.
I can't believe that there are no aftermarket warranty that will cover that charging systems for these cars. Don't get me wrong I would definitely purchase the BMW extended warranty first but once that expires i could easily be S.O.L

Interestingly, I've owned my 645ci for 5 years now and it has never had an injector issue or an oil consumption issue. Between oil changes, my can never burn up any oil. But I've been through a slew of other issues.

Jerry 745Li, i need to check the car out in person to determine all the options that are available on it. I plan on doing that this weekend so will keep you posted.

I will say though, its a great looking 7.

Thanks for both your feedback and I'll keep you updated after my dealer visit and what my decision boils down to.

Cheers!!
Take it for a drive, you will love it, that power is unreal

mine has a few toys, drivers assit and what not but didn't have the rear sun shade or massage seats, which is the only thing missing

2012 ActiveHybrid 7
Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Thanks dude looking forward to it this weekend. And given your price negotiating tactics I'll use that to pressure the sales man to throw in the kitchen sink

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Keep in mind that the injector and oil issues are with all 7's from 2009, not just the AH7

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 750Li Active Hybrid
2012 AH7 and 17k miles. Not a single issue. No injectors, no excessive oil, nothing. Moreover, quicker in the quarter mile than my e93 M3.

Past
2009 335i
2008 335i
2006 330i
2006 330cic
2002 330cic
1999 328i
Old 10-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW ACTIVE HYBIRD 7
2011 Active Hybrid . Replaced four injectors. Very fast car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Greg Poland Pacific BMW

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5 M sport
I loved mine... had 1 drive train malfunction and had car re-programmed. The HP and torque curve is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! blast to drive everyday.

Greg Poland
Pacific BMW
800 South Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91204
818 254 1491
www.PacificBMW.com
gregpoland@pacificbmw.com
Euro delivery, PC delivery, Out of state-new and used car sales
Hours:T-F 1-8 PM,Sat 1 to 8pm, off Sun and Mon.

Current rides: 2013 X5 msport and 2013 535i
15% over wholesale/invoice for all accessories! and free shipping for Bimmerfest members!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEK7hG-3fyA