Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-14-2014, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Clutch master cylinder rod to short

Purchased a clutch master cylinder from Amazon that is supposed to fit my 1995 525i but after installing it I found the piston rod is at least an inch shorter where it connects to the clutch so the pedal will only come up half way. Were some of these cars different or did they send me one for a different model.
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Is it adjustable, i have seen some that have to be adjusted upon install, do you have a link to the part?

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES

Audio

E28 v. E30 v. E34
Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 PM

by calling about the part number I had I found that some of the 1995 525i had a longer rod on the master than others. You can't trust Amazone when they say it will fit. You must check the part number against the last seven digits of the vin number. I was able to remove the snap ring and put the rod from the old one on the new one. Everything else was exactly the same except the rod was an inch longer on the old one. Now if I could just get the thing to bleed. Is there any other clutch parts that have problems on these cars like the piece that disengages the clutch. I replaced the slave and the master but can't get the clutch to fully disengage.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:02 PM

Turns out the clutch was bad, I got it loosened up to where it was releasing completely in the middle of the pedal but slipping bad when engaged to the point that it smoked and gripped no more. I suspected that it had been slipping some for a while and it got to the point where something stuck.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:41 PM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Mein Auto: What they Drive
Sounds like you figured it out.

When going new, Always try to stick with the known retailers.
FCP
Autohauz
RMeuropean
Pelican
BMA
BMP
Bavarian Autosport
ECS Tuning
GetBMWparts.com

The list goes on.
Sometimes if not most if the cost is too good to be true.
Verify it is what it is. Otherwise it usually is the "el Stuky"

As for bleeding. I bought a old oil can sprayer for 15 bucks. Attached a hose to it and bled it backwards through the slave.

This should help.

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Pretty much had 'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuscar View Post
by calling about the part number I had I found that some of the 1995 525i had a longer rod on the master than others. You can't trust Amazone when they say it will fit. You must check the part number against the last seven digits of the vin number. I was able to remove the snap ring and put the rod from the old one on the new one. Everything else was exactly the same except the rod was an inch longer on the old one. Now if I could just get the thing to bleed. Is there any other clutch parts that have problems on these cars like the piece that disengages the clutch. I replaced the slave and the master but can't get the clutch to fully disengage.
I encountered the same problem. It seems some databases confuse E28 & E34 applications. the one you (we) got was for E28.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:10 PM

Got the clutch out. Had some problems removing the inverted torq bolts as a couple rounded and I had to use an extractor. The clutch disk was completely wore off on the pressure plate side but it looks like it did not wear much on the flywheel side. The car has 116,000 miles on it. the clutch kit came with a new pilot bearing. I am wondering if I need to replace it . The old one seems fine and I can't see any way to remove it. I have a pilot bearing puller but it won't fit the hole. I wanted to replace the rubber shaft coupler while I already had it off but to long of wait time to get one for a standard. The bigger ones for the automatic seem to be everywhere but I guess no one makes a after market for the standard. Now to get it all back together.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E34 540i
Just my $0.02, DO NOT put that thing back together with the old pilot bearing left in. Unless you like separating your trans and engine.
Hellrot Red

Fuelly

My Basic Repair History (Edited 4/7/2014)

Ongoing comparison between two E34 540ia's

OBC4 Hidden Functions : Link 1, Link 2