Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 xDrive35i
iPhone snap in adapter for X3

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone is using iPhone 5s snap in adapter.

I am using iPhone charging cable but it doesn't give you that neat and tidy look inside car with all the wires around. iPhone snap in adapter makes a lot of sense but the price is ridiculous.

Any other alternatives?
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
I installed the SM688L22 on the left front mounting bolt on the passenger side. I use a car charger in the console to charge the phone.
http://www.arkon.com/Slim-Grip%20Ultra/index.html
Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 xDrive35i
Thanks Fjrmann.

Anyone using BMW iphone snapin adapter? How is the experience? Why did you buy the snapin adapter? Is it just an expensive charger?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
If I had just bought my phone, and BMW offered the snapin adapter, I think I would buy it. But not for a phone I intend to replace within 1/2 a year.

It is supposed to improve your reception, somehow.

I guess it depends too on whether it supports a case. I have mine in a case for protection when dropped. But it would be terribly inconvenient if I had to remove it from a case on entering the car.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
just picked up my new x3 this morning. My dealer said that the $250 cradle is not worth the money
Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i '14
My dealer told me to not bother with the snap in adapter. But I too wanted a nice clean set up with my iphone 5 so I purchased the adapter anyway. It worked for one day even though I did need to remove my phone from it's case. The second day that I snapped my phone in, my phone became extremely hot! The connection with my car became intermittent so I removed my phone when I noticed that it also wasn't charging. I've returned the snap in adapter and went back to using my USB connection (after replacing my iphone because the adapter screwed up the charging connection). Tucking it in the compartment works just as well as the adapter and I can leave my case on. I have the full navigation/tech package and all work well.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink4 View Post
If I had just bought my phone, and BMW offered the snapin adapter, I think I would buy it. But not for a phone I intend to replace within 1/2 a year.

It is supposed to improve your reception, somehow.

I guess it depends too on whether it supports a case. I have mine in a case for protection when dropped. But it would be terribly inconvenient if I had to remove it from a case on entering the car.

One issue is that one needs to remove whatever cover/case/battery extender that's used before placing in snap in adapter. I have a Mophie battery extender case and it would be a hassle to take it off each time I wanted it in the adapter.

I don't mind having an extra cord hanging out. It's black so it's rather inconspicuous.

The adapter does connect to the car's antennas so reception is improved.

I had an adapter for my iPhone 4 and rarely used it.

For the marginal improvement in reception and slightly better car aesthetics I can't recommend buying one.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 xDrive 35i
iPhone adapter

I have the iPhone adapter for the 5s and it works fine. Keeps my phone charged and gives me better reception. It was worth the cost, especially vs. what I paid for the car itself.