Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-12-2004, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: CLK 320
Question X5 option question

I am in the process of getting an X5 3.0. I am trying to save on the options and was thinking of getting the standard black leatherette seat. I have not seen a black leatherette seat yet but my dealer says that it almost look the same .Any ideas?? I would really appreciate any help on the options.
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Funfer
leather vs. leatherette

A friend just bought a 321i with the leatherette, and honestly i cannot tell it apart from my black leather. Also i have been told that the leatherette is tougher and will last longer and resit fading and crack a lot better than the real leather. I am seriously considering opting for the leatherette on ym next BMW.

hope that helps

nicholas
Old 08-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Leatherette looks nearly identical to natural leather. It wears better, and will last better.

Real leather will require more work (cleaning and conditioning).

You decide. Your friends will never be able to tell the difference.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
The only drawback is that you won't get that nice leather smell
Old 08-12-2004, 11:43 PM

that not the leather its the glue, and first its bad for you and second, even the leatherette equiped cars smell like that
Old 08-13-2004, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: CLK 320
Thumbs up

Thanks all. That will save me more on the options. I am definitely getting the xenon headlights.

Gracias,

Bobby
Old 08-14-2004, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin009
that not the leather its the glue, and first its bad for you and second, even the leatherette equiped cars smell like that
"Leather smell" chemicals can work wonders, and it would come as no surprise to learn that BMW hosed the leatherette down to make it smell like leather (why not? They do everything else to make it look like leather).

The interior of a new leather-trimmed car smells quite different to the overwhemlingly artificial smell of a new cloth-trimmed car. It's not the glue.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:00 AM

new car smell

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/8020stuff.html

This is straight from chemical engineers.

"Exactly what gives rise to new car smell? The answer, not surprising to chemists, is a complex mixture of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), primarily alkanes and substituted benzenes along with a few aldehydes and ketones.

Nearly every solid surface inside a vehicle is a fabric or plastic that is held together in part with adhesives and sealers. Outgassing of residual solvents and other chemicals from these materials leads to a dilute sea of VOCs floating about in the passenger compartment. The same holds true for new airplanes, homes, and offices."
Old 08-14-2004, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Ronin, I agree with you 100%, but that outgassing that you're talking about is from the "new car" smell, which is there regardless whether you've got leather, leatherette, or fabric interior. The "leather smell" that Andy and I are referring to is the same smell that you would get from a new leather jacket, wallet, or whatever you buy that's made of leather....very different thing altogether. Anyway...how did we get off track to talking about smell??? My original comment about leather smell was only meant as somewhat of a joke to Bob