Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: '98 528i
Key fob and alarm problems

I have an '07 X3. The remote locking features (alarm, lock/unlock)have stopped working. (buttons on the key stopped working). I have tried to reinitialize them but , no change. The central lock button works, and I can unlock/lock the drivers door with the key in the keyhole.
Should I be able to arm/disarm the alarm at the drivers door keyhole? Should I be able to open all doors with multiple twists of the key in the door?
Do you think it is the battery in the key (non-replaceable, right?)? A fuse? etc... Any help would be great!
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
First step is find the other key and try using that.

Unlikely that rechargeable key battery would be dead in an '07 model.

Try charging it up on a run of at least 30 mins.

Button contacts could be the problem if key has ever got wet.

Alarm is a very rare option on the E83, so we are talking central locking (works O.K.), remote locking (doesn't work now) and immobilizer (working, if car starts).
Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: '98 528i
Thanks. Yes, you summed up the issues well. (there was the blinking "red clown nose" before, when the car was locked with the key fob...)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
same issue

MrBeetleman, it looks like we have the same problem with our key fobs. I checked my key fobs battery voltage and it is 3 volts.
Im waiting on a remote tester to get here, to make sure they are transmitting, but since they both stopped working at about same time I doubt that's the issue. Im also about to check fuses but these vehicles have so many and they are not easy to check. If its not that, next check is the rearward antenna,
If you come across a fix, let me know, as I will.

Take care
Tony
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
If you have access to the battery then replace it. It's a no brainer step at that point.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
3 volts sounds right for that sort of battery.

If both keys suddenly fail, the GM5 body control module could be the problem.

See: www.bmwgm5.com
Old 08-09-2014, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I had the same exact problem with my key fob. At first my problem was intermittent. Sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. I found that smacking the key fob in my hand would often get it to work. If you have already taken the steps to open the key fob (which is a pain because you have to carefully cut it open) measure the voltage of the battery. I'm sure you'll find that it is fine and somewhere around 3 volts. These batteries are rechargable and charge while in the ignition switch. They are very rarely found to be dead.

I took a soldering iron and reflowed the solder on the 2 baterry connection points on the circuit board and everything worked perfectly again....for about 10 months. It started acting up again last month so I repeated the process only this time I wicked off the old solder, cleaned up the solder pads and used fresh solder. She's working perfectly again. Give that a shot and see what happens.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto:
I have a 2004 x3, when i bought it the key didnt work. I did all the initialization test, and none worked. I even bought a new key, still nothing? Help?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile ap